Author Topic: Roll Call: Sonic Youth  (Read 5428 times)

ratioci nation

Re: Roll Call: Sonic Youth
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2004, 08:39:00 am »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:
   I like the songs that Lee sings the best.
I thought Paper Cup Exit was great last night, it had not been one of my favorites on the album before the show.

I enjoyed the show as well, not the best I have seen them but not the worst.

Sailor Ripley

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2004, 08:46:00 am »
Great show.  Final encore was Expressway as bunny said.

Anyone know exactly what those video monitors were?  Pretty cool.

Yeah, SY was acting pretty youthful last night.  The results were good.  Although Jim R. seemed pretty subdued compared to the rest of the band, almost like a hired hand.

Pattern Recognition: Wow!

thirsty moore

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2004, 09:09:00 am »
Sailor Ripley -- You're spot on about Jim O'Rourke.  He looked really bored last night, embarassed even.

The video screens behind them were VERY cool.  I haven't picked up their new album yet, shameful --I know, but the new stuff was great.  I'm always up for Expressway and I've never heard PCH live before.

Guiny

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2004, 09:24:00 am »
I musta been standing in the wrong spot cause I was having a hard time with the vocals. I thought they were being drowned out badly by the instruments. But even after that, I did enjoy listening to them. They have such a unique sound to them. I did however leave after an hour, it just wasn't my night, I was waaaaay too tired and didnt feel like standing anymore. Sonick, we missed you on the left side. What happened?

sonickteam2

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2004, 09:28:00 am »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee_a.k.a _Guiny:
  I musta been standing in the wrong spot cause I was having a hard time with the vocals. I thought they were being drowned out badly by the instruments. But even after that, I did enjoy listening to them. They have such a unique sound to them. I did however leave after an hour, it just wasn't my night, I was waaaaay too tired and didnt feel like standing anymore. Sonick, we missed you on the left side. What happened?
i didnt get in until 930 and we dropped by there, didnt see you, then went to backbar, and by the time we came back upstairs it was packed like whoa.  so we went balcony style.

i so sorry !  :)

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2004, 09:51:00 am »
I was a bit tired and cranky myself last night.  I was tempted to leave after an hour or so, but every time I was ready to go they'd drop into some mesmerizing noise-fest and I couldn't pull myself away.  Good show.  I need to pay more attention to them in the future.

I think I saw Rob and possibly chimbly (were you there?), but like I said, I was pretty cranky and just kept to myself most of the night.  Had I seen sonick I would have yelled disparaging things about Muse, just to watch him get all riled-up.   :D

nkotb

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2004, 10:03:00 am »
I was more than happy with the set.  Hearing the new songs live really cemented the album as a great one, especially Pattern Recognition.  And man, the old songs were smoking.  Thanks to Thirsty to pointed out that it was Burning Spear and Expressway to me; my noise-damaged ears couldn't place them right off the bat.  And even though they played Eric's Trip and Drunken Butterfly pretty recently, I just can't get enough of those songs. BTW, Schizophrenia = AWESOME.

So any thoughts on the openers?  Loved White Magic, and I'll be damned if the Magic Markers weren't great just for giving it their all.  Like the girl said, you don't need chords to rock, just a lot of heart.

Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  Sailor Ripley -- You're spot on about Jim O'Rourke.  He looked really bored last night, embarassed even.

The video screens behind them were VERY cool.  I haven't picked up their new album yet, shameful --I know, but the new stuff was great.  I'm always up for Expressway and I've never heard PCH live before.

Guiny

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2004, 10:13:00 am »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:
 I think I saw Rob and possibly chimbly (were you there?),
I was near the left bar area facing the stage with my Anthrax shirt on. I thought I saw Skeeter there but I could be mistaken. Other than that, didnt really see any familiar faces. Not that alot of faces are familiar to me.

sonickteam2

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2004, 10:21:00 am »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:
 Had I seen sonick I would have yelled disparaging things about Muse, just to watch him get all riled-up.    :D  
i did see you

outside, as you were going in , but i was walking up and i didnt want to yell.  would you have answered to a resounding "SKEEEEETERRRR"?

Guiny

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2004, 10:25:00 am »
Ok, I must be lost with the names again, does Skeeter = Bombay Chutney? If so, then we were standing right next to each other at the bar ten mintues before SY came on.

thirsty moore

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2004, 10:29:00 am »
White Magic were good from the start.  I wasn't into Magic Markers until their last song.  Specifically when they yelled, "They're going to tell you you're not Rush.  Well fuck Rush! Rush sucks!".

Anyone know Sonic Youth's secret?  Why are they so damned good?  

Originally posted by nkotbie:
 So any thoughts on the openers?

jkeisenh

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2004, 10:30:00 am »
I was waaaay in the back left next to the video/audio stuff(didn't get there till like 9:45) but it was fine for sound.

Those video boxes weren't video-- they were just light boxes with changeable gels in front-- that is, plastic color sheets all attached on a roller that would just scroll through.  Not the world's most expensive technology, but really looked great.

I was a little bored.  I think artistically it was a great show, but the feedback thing got a little old at the end.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2004, 10:39:00 am »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee_a.k.a _Guiny:
  Ok, I must be lost with the names again, does Skeeter = Bombay Chutney? If so, then we were standing right next to each other at the bar ten mintues before SY came on.
Yeah - That's me. I changed my name about a week ago. I guess I was pre-occupied getting my beer.  Didn't notice you were right next to me at the bar.  Sorry about that.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2004, 10:41:00 am »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:
  i did see you outside, as you were going in , but i was walking up and i didnt want to yell.  would you have answered to a resounding "SKEEEEETERRRR"?
haha - you betcha!

thirsty moore

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2004, 10:48:00 am »
The feedback did tend to drag on at the end of Expressway.  

Originally posted by chimbly sweep:
 I think artistically it was a great show, but the feedback thing got a little old at the end.