Author Topic: the death of the single, Mankie should read this.  (Read 5034 times)

thirsty moore

Re: the death of the single, Mankie should read this.
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2003, 01:19:00 pm »
That's always been the case though.  Stop letting nostalgia get in the way.

markie

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2003, 01:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  It's all the medium, Markie.  Music isn't becoming culturally unimportant.  The single is.

Why is it that there are over 1 million people downloading music on peer to peer?
but singles were for me, a cheap gateway to albums. That has gone now. Without singles how else do you get to hear new bands? Ordinary radio and regular MTV are clearly not good ways.

markie

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2003, 01:22:00 pm »
  That's always been the case though.  Stop letting nostalgia get in the way.
I dunno before videos a lot of bands were right ugly bastards. Hell the average British new wave act wasnt likely to be pretty either, go check out Yazz(oo).

thirsty moore

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2003, 01:28:00 pm »
At some point someone that relies on radio will either dig deeper or keep listening to what's being fed to them.

Originally posted by markie:
 Without singles how else do you get to hear new bands? Ordinary radio and regular MTV are clearly not good ways.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2003, 01:30:00 pm »

It's all the medium, Markie.  Music isn't becoming culturally unimportant.  The single is.

Why is it that there are over 1 million people downloading music on peer to peer?
but singles were for me, a cheap gateway to albums. That has gone now. Without singles how else do you get to hear new bands? Ordinary radio and regular MTV are clearly not good ways. [/b]
downloading legal and illegal music off the internet is about the cheapest way there is today...
T.Rex

markie

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2003, 01:35:00 pm »
  At some point someone that relies on radio will either dig deeper or keep listening to what's being fed to them.

Thats probably true. Probably always was. But if you are pumped the same 20 dull songs allday everyday. It probably does not encourage the average person to buy an album or dig deeper. You would just guess all music was shite.

thirsty moore

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2003, 01:42:00 pm »
Occasionally you'll get a few good songs though.  For instance, The Strokes.  

Wow, who are these guys?  Why is everyone comparing them to the Velvet Roomband.  Who are they?  Oh, the Velvet Underground! Oh, and they have a greatest hits?  I should pick that up.

markie

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2003, 01:45:00 pm »
  Occasionally you'll get a few good songs though.  For instance, The Strokes.  

Funny, we listened to that last night. Its alright, but not as good as the original.

thirsty moore

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2003, 02:05:00 pm »
Yes, we all know that.  But someone's either looking for something similar or completely opposite.

Essentially, Rock is just fast music with different band names.  

Its alright, but not as good as the original.

Yank

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2003, 02:10:00 pm »

Originally posted by Yank:
  I'll bet Paul Morley used to walk 37 miles to school, everyday, even in blinding snowstorms!  I'm far from being a kid and I still buy a lot of singles...both cd and vinyl.
Jeez, you old timers are missing the point here. Yes you still buy singles. You are in a small minority, the middle aged rock fan.

The kids dont buy singles anymore. Its a dead medium. Even top of the pops is going. Radio one has its lowest listening figures ever. Music is becoming culturally unimportant, a niche. [/b]
Well the HMV in Liverpool and Manchester (Virgin too) still devote a large section of their stores to singles, and it isn't the middle aged rock fan like myself that are mostly buying the singles!  With that said, I know the singles market in the states is a joke.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2003, 02:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by Yank:
 With that said, I know the singles market in the states is a joke. [/QB]
yeah look no farther then some the plastic women on match.com

acutally in the kindercore and emo scenes plenty of singles are still be released.  with plenty of garage 60's and otherwise being released and reissued.
T.Rex