Author Topic: Bono Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize  (Read 7283 times)

Henry Dark

Re: Bono Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2003, 12:09:00 pm »
Well said, Vansmack.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vansmack:<BR><B> He couldn't write the check himself so he went on the campaign.<P>I suppose he could have sat back on his ass, bought some cars and some big TV's, fattened his crib and waited for MTV to come knocking so he could promote himself on MTV Cribs couldn't he?<P>But he didn't.  He championed world leaders to reduce the money they were owed by developing countries so that the money could be put to better use in the country.<P>I understand that a lot of you hate everything popular and have issues with Bono's ego, but discount what he did.  He has gone further than most before him to reduce the debt of third world countries. A plethora of some of the most brilliant minds in the world have complemented Bono for knowing his stuff - he's not just using his fame, he's doing his homework too.  <P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

keithstg

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2003, 12:10:00 pm »
Boy? You must be kidding.

Henry Dark

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2003, 12:11:00 pm »
Most of us have full time jobs. Some of us even go to school on top of that. Bono does not have a full time job. He's a rock musician successful enough to cut a record and make millions off of it. Thus, he has the time and energy to spare.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Relaxer:<BR><B> So how much money do you contribute? How much of your time do you spend on issues that do not benefit yourself? How many truly important global issues have you elevated beyond yourself to your community (whether it be your family, neighborhood or city)? <P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

keithstg

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2003, 12:12:00 pm »
In any event - I respect the pro Bono opinions expressed, but disagree. We'll see what happens - until then I'll just leave it alone...

ggw

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2003, 12:57:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Dark:<BR><B>What the hell is a sanctimonious prat? Speak American, boy.<P> </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Look in the mirror, Hank.

Relaxer

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2003, 06:24:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Dark:<BR><B>   Most of us have full time jobs. Some of us even go to school on top of that. Bono does not have a full time job. He's a rock musician successful enough to cut a record and make millions off of it. Thus, he has the time and energy to spare. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yeah, being a professional musician is soooo easy. Just ask the Samples how easy it is.  When it comes down to it, Bono is the same as any very successful businessman. He spent decades working fulltime-plus on his career/craft. His many, many years of long and hard work paid off and now he's in a position where he can work as much as he wants. Bill Gates did the same thing. Spent a couple decades building an extremely successful business and now works as much as he wants (and donates hundreds of millions of dollars every year). Richard Branson, Jack Welch, Larry Ellison, same thing. And what public service efforts leap to mind when you think of those guys? <P>As for other musicians, how often do you see Keith Richards or Paul McCartney or Eric Clapton getting so involved? Sure, they do a fundraiser every now and then, but do you really think David Bowie is willing to extensively put his energy and effort into eliminating debt in third world countries? <P>Everyone has his or her opinion. It's just difficult for me to hear people prattle on mindlessly about how useless Bono's work has been.
oword

poorlulu

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2003, 01:30:00 pm »
i knew it dubya dreams of big fleecy sheep.............<P>baaaaaaa<P>come on paige where are you now we need ya?

paige

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2003, 01:44:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by poorlulu:<BR><B>i knew it dubya dreams of big fleecy sheep.............<P>baaaaaaa<P>come on paige where are you now we need ya?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh<P>

vickSka241

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2003, 03:12:00 pm »
I'm with vansmack...<BR>Bono could've done far less productive things with his money and time. <BR>Go Bono!

myuman

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2003, 04:00:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vickSka241:<BR><B>Bono could've done far less productive things with his money and time. <BR>Go Bono!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I agree completely.... I disagree with most of his philosophy, but he is certainly passionate.<P>

Henry Dark

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2003, 04:39:00 pm »
<A HREF="http://www.wfmu.org/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.wfmu.org/[/url] <P>The Bono soundbite of the day...too bad it won't play for me here at work...