Author Topic: XM Radio  (Read 6921 times)

redsock

Re: XM Radio
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2003, 05:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by paige:
  You definitely started something..   :)  

XM is great. really, it is. it has a lot of versatility (car, home, boombox) and all things considered, it isn't that costly.

i love my job pretty much because of the people that work there and the laid back and fun atmosphere.... but, as mentioned, the hours are long for the program directors and others. a friend said it's the most demanding job he's ever had, but also the most rewarding. with 100 channels of music and talk/sports, there really is something for everyone. and the commercials issue shouldn't even be brought up. many are commercial free; the channels that aren't have only 1-2 minutes an hour. (compared with 20 on fm stations)

sirius doesn't measure up just yet to xm..although i don't think it's horrible. fewer channels and the fact that they copied xm (well, not really but xm was first)kind of turns me off.

everyone should look into it, the more listeners the better. also, you could hear me on the air   :)   although i'm sure no one cares about that.

www.xmradio.com (all of the information you need, employment opportunites included)
 www.xmfan.com (message board for feedback and chatting)
Hey what about jobs? Judging from the earlier article, more lay-offs on the way?

mankie

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2003, 05:18:00 pm »

Originally posted by mankie:
  until they sell more ads that is!
go home with me, mankie! [/b]
Paige!!!   ;)

paige

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2003, 05:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:
  Hey what about jobs? Judging from the earlier article, more lay-offs on the way?
i hope not... that's what we were thinking when we listened to that conference call yesterday. however, i don't think that is the immediate plan. you could just start out as a lowly ingestor and work your way up (ingestion - ripping audio from cd's and turning it into digital files for the activated system. really really tedious and really really boring.. also really really necessary)

oh mankie, take me away!!   :p

mankie

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2003, 05:30:00 pm »

oh mankie, take me!!    :p  [/b]
Who's yer daddy!

Samantha

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2003, 05:35:00 pm »
oh dear, I would DIE for an XM.  being poor sucks  :(

J'Mal

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2003, 05:37:00 pm »
One minute of commercials per hour on SOME of the channels to get great programming sure beats commercial-free christina aguilera all day long.  Also hate to disappoint you mankie but sirius does not have an equivalent for U-Pop.

As for the market, XM is a somewhat controversial stock.  Yesterday's selloff was a ridiculous over-reaction to standard insurance negotiating tactics.  Full disclosure: I've got a huge position in it and I slept well last night, as unpleasant as it was during the day.

I've visited XM a few times for various reasons and it sure seems like a wonderful place to work.

Paige -- who are you on the air?

Joymonster

• MySpace
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2003, 06:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by J'Mal:

As for the market, XM is a somewhat controversial stock.  Yesterday's selloff was a ridiculous over-reaction to standard insurance negotiating tactics.  Full disclosure: I've got a huge position in it and I slept well last night, as unpleasant as it was during the day.

It recovered 13% today. Now would be a good time to buy shares.

mankie

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2003, 09:26:00 am »
Originally posted by Member 656:

It recovered 13% today. Now would be a good time to buy shares. [/b]
Wouldn't if have been better to buy shares BEFORE the 13% recovery?

Also, let me expand on one of my comments for J'mal....I'm not favoring Sirius over XM or vice versa....I just have a problem with paying for a service that is getting ad revenue at the same time. I listen to public radio sometimes to get the news, and the car talk blokes of course, but have never sent any money during one of their membership drives simply because they pretend they don't have ads, but I hear this all the time, ...'this portion of the show brought to you by a grant from schnurglebergers, providing widgets to the IT industry'... What's that if it's not an ad?

I pay for my cd's and happily play those in my car...better selection than any radio station could come up with, as your personal cd collection would be the same for you.

No biggie, just a pet peeve of mine.

J'Mal

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2003, 10:24:00 am »
Mankie, XM doesn't have sponsored programs like "brought to you by" anywhere.  The commercial free channels are commercial free.

If you buy a newspaper or a magazine or cable TV, you are definitely "paying for ads."  Relative to other media, the ads on XM are symbolic.  Believe me, after the crap radio you've become accustomed to, it is difficult to imagine just how ad-free XM really is.  They're not stupid, they know nobody will pay for the same crap that's on the air right now.

Also, I beg to differ about the depth of selection on XM v. that of your CD collection.  It couldn't be more opposite than you imagine.  As I'm sure Paige would confirm for you, XM is committed to having every single CD ever released in its system, and I believe they're up to something like 25 or 30 terrabytes -- well over 2 million songs in their library not including a big room full of CDs.  Whatever obscure request you can imagine, they will probably play it for you in very short order.  (Also unlike crap FM).

With your CDs you are already familiar with everything.  XM does what radio may once have done a long time ago, and is supposed to do: it introduces you to new music.  Because the selection is so vast, there is very little repetition, except for maybe 20 on 20, which is designed to play the top 20 as voted on constantly.

I have definitely been buying fewer CDs since getting XM, but the ones I do buy are usually things I've heard on XM that I would not have necessarily heard anywhere else without some serious internet exploration (my previous way of learning about new music).

Finally, as for catching the bottom in the stock before it shot back up, that's a tricky thing to do.  Most people who aren't glued to the screen and don't have a feel for technical analysis aren't going to pick such sweet spots.  The absurd selloff did confirm very solid support at 10, a previous support level from which the stock bounced hard on massive volume.  This is as good a time as any to buy.

paige

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2003, 10:56:00 am »

Also, I beg to differ about the depth of selection on XM v. that of your CD collection.  It couldn't be more opposite than you imagine.  As I'm sure Paige would confirm for you, XM is committed to having every single CD ever released in its system, and I believe they're up to something like 25 or 30 terrabytes -- well over 2 million songs in their library not including a big room full of CDs.  Whatever obscure request you can imagine, they will probably play it for you in very short order.  (Also unlike crap FM).

With your CDs you are already familiar with everything.  XM does what radio may once have done a long time ago, and is supposed to do: it introduces you to new music.  Because the selection is so vast, there is very little repetition, except for maybe 20 on 20, which is designed to play the top 20 as voted on constantly.

Two things:
 1. I am on channel 42 (Liquid  Metal) from noon-2ish with Manny.

2. XM uses this database called Dalet. It literally has at least one sony by ANY band, obscure or not. this is because they actually do stand behind their claim of diversity and variety on every single channel. the music library is this crazy room that holds everything. if there aren't 2 million songs, i think there are more. and because each channel doesn't play the same things you are used to hearing, your ears are exposed to new music all the time. which isn't a bad thing.   ;)

Got Haggis?

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2003, 11:06:00 pm »
yeah i have it and love it.....they do tend to repeat a lot of songs though (nothing has bad as regular radio)...but for example, XMU is still playing some of hte same songs I heard when I subscribed a year ago...several times.  still though, well worth the investment.

lily1

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2003, 01:12:00 pm »
if i had to do a drive in commute every day, this would be mandatory on my car purchase. no doubt about it.

anyone read though about the satellite problems? apparently boeing did a crap job building the satellites and now the insurance xm has isn't paying out because the faulty equipment. it was in the post the other day. let me see if i can find it and i'll post.

lily1

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2003, 01:13:00 pm »

paige

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2003, 04:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by lily1:
  if i had to do a drive in commute every day, this would be mandatory on my car purchase. no doubt about it.

lily, you CAN get it in your house too   :p

sniper10

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2003, 08:28:00 pm »
Considering that radio around here sucks except for WRNR and WMDT in Towson it's a great concept and a good stock to own.

I bought it back in March and think by next year it should be in the $18 - $20 range. That insurance news is just a minor glitch.