Author Topic: 2007 DAM! Festival  (Read 8485 times)

Darth Ed

Re: 2007 DAM! Festival
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2007, 12:36:00 am »
Redsock (or anyone in the know), what are the set times are for Saturday's Stellastarr*/Pela/Exit Clov show? The ticket says 7:00pm (ridiculously early for a Saturday show, no?), but I have dinner plans and there's no way I can make 7:00pm. What time does Pela start? And Stellastarr*? Thanks!

redsock

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2007, 10:07:00 am »
Originally posted by Darth Ed:
  Redsock (or anyone in the know), what are the set times are for Saturday's Stellastarr*/Pela/Exit Clov show? The ticket says 7:00pm (ridiculously early for a Saturday show, no?), but I have dinner plans and there's no way I can make 7:00pm. What time does Pela start? And Stellastarr*? Thanks!
We're starting early cause Stellstarr stipulated they had to be on by 10pm. Pela should be on between 830 and 9. I know, this is early, but we had to do it in order to keep 4 bands.

Darth Ed

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2007, 10:57:00 am »
Originally posted by redsock:

Originally posted by Darth Ed:
We're starting early cause Stellstarr stipulated they had to be on by 10pm. Pela should be on between 830 and 9. I know, this is early, but we had to do it in order to keep 4 bands. [/b]
Ah, I didn't realize a fourth band had been added. Anyway, thanks for the info!

redsock

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2007, 01:13:00 pm »
Um, anyone coming?

Does no one really care? Are the shows boring? Was the DAM! Festival too 'last year'?

I feel like while we've gotten press for this, there is less excitement in the air than last year. Certainly is on this board. And I also wonder why the City Paper refuses to even mention us. Going so far as to talk about shows we're putting on without mentioning us. Reasons for that i suppose, but i guess i expected more interest, especially with bigger names and the likes of Craig Wedren playing. The dynamic on this board has changed quite a bit since my hayday on here -- whenever that was -- but I figured more people would be interested on here. Not a criticism at all, merely an observation.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2007, 01:35:00 pm »
In my case - I'm going out of town for the weekend.    The only date I could really go would be tonight, but I have tickets for something else already.   I'm sure I would go to a show, if I was going to be in town.

ggw

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2007, 01:37:00 pm »
Will Radiohead be there?

Relaxer

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2007, 02:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:
  Um, anyone coming?

Does no one really care? Are the shows boring? Was the DAM! Festival too 'last year'?

I think it??s awesome that you??ve organized this thing. As to why it??s not really on my radar, there??s a couple reasons. I don??t mean this as criticism, slagging or panning, because I know it??s been a ton of work, but rather some brutally honest feedback and the thoughts that went through my head when considering it.

1) The format ?? for me, the biggest issue was not really knowing where things were going to be. I??m sure to you it seems totally obvious and intuitive, but if you??ve only heard about it in bits and pieces, it??s confusing because certain sets are at certain places, and it just seems overly spread out. Also, for me personally, there??s no way I can commit to 4 days of anything much less a bunch of bands I haven??t heard of.

2) The specific shows ?? This is a small quibble, but frankly, the reason I??m not going to see the one band I??d be excited about (Place to Bury Strangers) is because it??s on a bill with four other bands. I??m getting to be an old fart who still likes his shows, but the idea of sitting through four unknowns on a Thursday night to get to the one I want is daunting. I love seeing new bands, and I always come early for openers, but five bands, four of which are unknown (to me) is just too much, especially on a work night.

3) The ??known?? line-up ?? some good names, but? something is lacking there. Cat Power is a nice ??get?? but she??s been playing live a lot lately, and has probably done her ??Greatest?? album to death. Stellastarr is the other name, and it seems like they just played here recently, plus with no new album out, my feeling was, ehh? Place to Bury Strangers is very compelling as well, but the timing isn??t right.

4) The ??unknown?? line-up ?? I??m not even close to being the most knowledgeable person here about new bands, but I??m relatively with it, and I haven??t heard of most of these acts. When I first scanned the band list, it was so many unfamiliar names that nothing compelled me to keep it in mind. In contrast, when I looked at the Fun Fun Fest, several things leaped out at me (Angry Samoans! Poison Idea! Youth Brigade! Battles! Witchcraft! The motherfucking SWORD!). The first three are (maybe? maybe not) reunions that I had no idea were happening, the second three are new, hipster bands that I??ve been digging on. Not trying to compare your event with the one in Austin, but rather to point out that when I looked at the Fun Fest line-up, I was sold immediately, enough so to buy a plane ticket and festival pass, and to round up some buddies to come along.

5) The overall vibe ?? Because it??s spread out over a few days, with a wide variety of bands, it??s hard to know what this festival ??means?. Not that you need a concept or theme, but there??s nothing about it that stands out. With the Fun Festival, my thought going to that is ??this is going to rock balls? and that??s where I hang my hat. With the DAM festival, it just seems like a line-up of bands spread over a few days with nothing really connecting it except the DAM label.

So those were my thoughts. Without a lot of money, these kinds of things are a bear to pull off, and the way to do it is to keep doing it, so I hope this year??s is successful enough to keep it going in the future, because I??ll bet you??ll keep getting better as you go.
oword

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2007, 02:18:00 pm »
i wont be in DC this time around - so guess im not paying as much attention as last year - when i knew id come for it. also - because its so close to CMJ (cant remember if it was last year), for me there'd be no draw to come down just for that as most the bands are playing up here.

last year i made an effort to come check it out as there were more bands i wanted to see and i believe CMJ was later
HeyLa

Vas Deferens

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2007, 10:46:00 am »
how's the fest so far?

will there be tickets to the Pela show tonite?
(_|_)

anarchist

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2007, 01:46:00 pm »
boycott dam.  it is a front for live nation.

redsock

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2007, 02:59:00 am »
Originally posted by anarchist:
Are we? Really? Fuck you.

Sage 703

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2007, 06:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by anarchist:
wow.  this displays such total and complete ignorance on so many levels.

Darth Ed

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2007, 08:19:00 pm »
I really enjoyed the Stellastarr*/Pela show at the 6th & I Synagogue. I think this takes the cake for my most unusual concert venue. It felt a little weird when I first got there, what with the pews and the "Faith in God is Happiness" and "Obey Ye the Law of Moses" slogans on the wall behind the band. The dome with the recessed lighting was breathtaking though, and I soon got over any initial weirdness. The sound was a little echo-y, but not too bad really. I've been to worse-sounding shows at the Black Cat.

Pela were fantastic! I suppose I'm one of the last boardies to see them live, but I was impressed. I've really been digging their album for the past couple of months, and their live show exceeded my expectations. I hope to see them again the next time they come through town, hopefully at a headlining show.

I've seen Stellastarr* four times now, and I always enjoy their shows immensely. There is always a lot of enthusiastic dancing and jumping at Stellastarr* shows, and it's fun to let loose. Stellastarr*'s music is just perfect for that. They have a solid catalog of dance-rock/Britpop songs. I just love 'em.

Excellent show!

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2007, 08:26:00 pm »
Billy is a great guy! just one more reason to add on why you should like Pela  :)  

theyre playing nyc all the time if you need to see them again soon.
HeyLa

Darth Ed

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2007, 12:39:00 pm »
Anyone, how were the other DAM! Festival shows?