Author Topic: metro is a PIECE o' SHIT  (Read 9967 times)

yinzer

metro is a PIECE o' SHIT
« on: September 07, 2007, 10:34:00 am »
what in the hell is going on with metro?  man, is it a piece of shit!  i have lived in DC a total of 5 years as an adult - 3 from 98 - 01 and the last 2 and it has to be patently obvious to anyone involved with metro that it is a disaster and complete disaster waiting to happen.  i have been on many cities mass transit/subways and it has to be the worst and that might include chicago's current clusterfuck.

youknowhumsayin?  sheezus.

Re: metro is a PIECE o' SHIT
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 10:49:00 am »
Originally posted by yinzer:
  what in the hell is going on with metro?  man, is it a piece of shit!  i have lived in DC a total of 5 years as an adult - 3 from 98 - 01 and the last 2 and it has to be patently obvious to anyone involved with metro that it is a disaster and complete disaster waiting to happen.  i have been on many cities mass transit/subways and it has to be the worst and that might include chicago's current clusterfuck.

youknowhumsayin?  sheezus.
I completely agree. I'd rather sit in traffic than take the metro. It's cheaper for me to drive to work and park for $8 than take the metro for $11.80.
xoxo

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 10:53:00 am »
Yes there is alot to bitch about when it comes to Metro, but having a seat and being able to read my book for 45-50 mins each way each day beats the hell out of being stuck on 395 twice a day. Plus, i'm contributing less to global warming by not driving.

thirsty moore

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 11:10:00 am »
I kind of love Metro.  Sorry you all are having a rough time with it.  What are the problems your experiencing?

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 11:19:00 am »
Whenever I come down south to DC, I always use the Metro and think it's great.  Have you ever seen the mass transportation in other cities?  You don't know how good you have it down there.

Geez, what a bunch of whining babies you all are!  It COSTS TOO MUCH!  I may have to look at someone who's DIRTY!  Ah, the complaints of the iPod generation...

Brian

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 11:25:00 am »
Here's my list of whining:

1.Underground stations are hot as hell Put the fucking ac on.

2. Too many trains delays because of "sick passengers" Which is odd, though I've been delayed a million times because some other train having a sick passenger, I've never actually been on a train that itself had a sick passenger.

3. It's expensive if you're on a longer ride. Make it a flat rate like in NYC or Chicago.

4. Too many goons blasting their ipods or talking to loudly on their cells or putting their feet or bags oin the adjacent seat so that they are taking up two seats.

SalParadise

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 11:32:00 am »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  putting their feet or bags oin the adjacent seat so that they are taking up two seats.
you don't just ask them to move/move their shit?

MonkeyPants

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 11:39:00 am »

2. Too many trains delays because of "sick passengers" Which is odd, though I've been delayed a million times because some other train having a sick passenger, I've never actually been on a train that itself had a sick passenger.

3. It's expensive if you're on a longer ride. Make it a flat rate like in NYC or Chicago.

4. Too many goons blasting their ipods or talking to loudly on their cells or putting their feet or bags oin the adjacent seat so that they are taking up two seats.
With the exception of #3, the same could be said of NYC or basically ANY public transportation system.

I like metro except after 7pm on weekdays when there are too few trains, and on weekends when it takes a million years to get anywhere.  Not sure why they can't do their track work when the system is CLOSED instead of when people actually want to ride.
PANTS

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 11:41:00 am »
Originally posted by SalParadise:

putting their feet or bags oin the adjacent seat so that they are taking up two seats.
you don't just ask them to move/move their shit? [/b]
cleary he doesnt ride the subway in nyc. everyone asks people to move to sit down, or tells them to move their stuff. and must say the nyc subway is much more convenient than DC. dont know about you brian_wallace - but clearly you dont use public transpo in NYC. its much more efficient, runs 24/7, flat rate, and trains running much more frequently. granted they might not be as clean, and its hot as hell during the summer underground, but usually the ac is functioning on the trains. ill take the convenience of 24/7 trains anytime. and $2 anywhere, its a sweet deal. a train from the city to coney island and only $2. thats a sweet deal.

my longest wait is usually on the L from williamsburg to the city. major pain in the arse once you pass 12am, but the wait of 10-20 mins i should be used to, as i swear i was always waiting for the metro.
HeyLa

ggw

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 11:45:00 am »

He's worried that he will get beat up, like when he rode the schoolbus as a kid.

yinzer

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 11:47:00 am »
Whenever I come down south to DC, I always use the Metro and think it's great. Have you ever seen the mass transportation in other cities? You don't know how good you have it down there.

Geez, what a bunch of whining babies you all are! It COSTS TOO MUCH! I may have to look at someone who's DIRTY! Ah, the complaints of the iPod generation...

Brian  
dude - whatever.  you clearly don't ride it very much or during rush hour which is pretty much when reliable service is particularly needed.

for its part, i will say that it seems to run fairly reliably on week nites which is perhaps when you're taking it.  weekends are ridiculous...there is track work (see - sharing tracks) every weekend anymore and the fucking thing is closed 6 hrs a nite and 4 on the weekends.  hmmmm, you think they'd have some time to do that shit at nite over the years since it isn't on an nyc 24/7 schedule.

as someone who has ridden it for the most part instead of driving to work over the timeframes enunciated in my initial rant made after twiddling my thumbs for 30 minutes this morning on the ol' metro, i can tell you that it is going downhill in a hurry.  

don't care 'bout dirty people, really don't care about cost much if it works, and sure as hell ain't in the ipod generation.  having ridden subways in nyc, chicago, the bart in sf/bay area, london, berlin, paris, moscow, among others (on my own dime - i state this to preempt the tired and omnipresent boardie accusations of being a rich kid) - let me just tell you homeboy, it doesn't stack up.  you might prefer it to that light rail in b-more and i might prefer to the buses in pittsburgh but that isn't saying much.  in fact, it's not saying anything.  i don't really care about what's going on in cincy either.  it's a basic government service on its way to being totally broken and you seem to support that brand of infrastructure negligence.  that is of a piece with your fairly regularly spouted nonsense.

bearman🐻

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 11:52:00 am »
All I can say is I'm glad that I don't live on the Red Line anymore. Rush hour would put me in a horrible mood every day. Trains would be so packed and overcrowded, and there would be times when I would have to wait for 3 or 4 trains to go by before there was room to get on. It was such a clusterfuck. I don't mind Metro TOO much, just depends on what time of day and whether or not it's a week day or weekend. I still think it's better than most cities, but it's not without problems.

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 12:01:00 pm »

5. In rush hour you may have to let a train pass by because it's too full.

6. Every other train runs to shady grove even though I'm still paying rush hour fares. So when #5 happens you're really screwed.

7. Crazy guys on the metro. Normally you can ignore them but a few weeks ago one sat next to me (I was on the inside) and he tried really hard to corner me in my seat then tried to brush up against me.  I went running to another train car.

8. The trains are so crowded that sometimes I have to stand in the morning leaving shady grove, the first station.  It wouldn't be a problem except that means that the train is going to get uncomfortably packed within the next 2 stations.

8. Metro is broke yet they replaced the signs, displays, blinking lights and have a new expensive (LCD?) display at Shady Grove instead of putting the money in to the trains or track.

Things metro is doing right:
 1. I caught a quartet performing in the station last night, it was nice.
 2. Finally incorporating advertising instead of raising fares.
 3. They now have a credit card machine for parking so tourists don't have to buy a smart trip card.

People who don't depend on the metro love it. It's great if you're just trying to get to the mall but if you need to rely on it to get to work or class you're taking a gamble. But this board loves to bet.
xoxo

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007, 12:03:00 pm »
I thought Metro was a private company, not a government service?

Originally posted by yinzer:

it's a basic government service on its way to being totally broken and you seem to support that brand of infrastructure negligence.  that is of a piece with your fairly regularly spouted nonsense. [/b]

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2007, 12:04:00 pm »
I do. And they usually do. Sometimes they refuse. The point is, their shit really shouldn't be there to the point where I'd have to ask. They didn't pay for two seats.