Author Topic: Britpop people? (from Just announ thread)  (Read 2808 times)

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
Re: Britpop people? (from Just announ thread)
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2007, 04:21:00 pm »
from people who want a britpop meetup group:
 "I DJ a britpop night called Razzmatazz every 5th Saturday of the month at Black Cat backstage. Septmeber 29th is the next one, so come out and say hello! You will not be disappointed"

i suggest making a meetup group - its worth it to find like-minded people - and then just figure out where to go. if you visit SF you can go to popscene. if youre in nyc - you can go to popscene nyc/club nme. liberation dance party has good stuff but i know when i used to go id say it was more indie based vs britpop. i cant stand mousetrap, but thats just me.

and you can always post to craigslist  :)  i met lots of people into britpop music when i lived in dc that way.
HeyLa

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2007, 04:25:00 pm »
Arthwys - out of curiosity - what bands are you listening to now? and i dont mean old bands ie blur, pulp, suede, etc. - i mean bands from today that youd consider britpop.
HeyLa

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2007, 04:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by Relaxer:

Originally posted by Brian Wallace:
  Seriously.  I know more about Britpop than any of you.  It would be my "Jeopardy category to save the world."

It's ironic.  I just got done reading John Harris's "The Last Party."

I could talk about Britpop (various definitions) for days....

Brian
That's a bold statement. I think you might be surprised at how much Britpop knowledge there is here. Too bad we can't have an online trivia contest. You'd just look up the answers on the internets.

Also, do you mind if I also do the name-signing thing too? Don't want to carp on your action, yo. [/b]
Sure.  Knock yourself out.

I know of Menswear B-sides.

Now that "The Last Party" is on my mind, I was disappointed that some of the juiciest rumors weren't touched upon.

One of the best, is that there was overlap between the end of Frischmann's relationship with Brett Anderson and the beginning of her relationship with Damon Albarn.  When one of them was, shall we say "intimate" with her, they would leave a hickey on her body.  To mark his territory, the other would leave a hickey on the other side of her body as if to say "I'm regularly in this area as well."

Devious.

Brian

ggw

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2007, 04:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by Brian Wallace:
  One of the best, is that there was overlap between the end of Frischmann's relationship with Brett Anderson and the beginning of her relationship with Damon Albarn.  When one of them was, shall we say "intimate" with her, they would leave a hickey on her body.  To mark his territory, the other would leave a hickey on the other side of her body as if to say "I'm regularly in this area as well."

So, they would leave "brands" as a way of denoting their ownership of her body?

Hardly sounds like the behavior of proper gentlemen.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 04:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
I concur. They should just appreciate her (no doubt) fine company and pleasant personality.

vansmack

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2007, 04:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
Sounds to me like insecurity.
27>34

Relaxer

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2007, 04:51:00 pm »
You know of Menswear B-sides? That's a milestone, to be sure. Perhaps an ignoble one, but a milestone nevertheless. But do you know Ultrasound B-sides? Ah HAH.

Brian
oword

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2007, 12:36:00 am »
Originally posted by Arthwys:
  Where the heck do I go to meet fellow Britpop/Britrock crazy people?  
Chicago.

That's where Markie and Lulu moved to.   :p

Arthwys

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2007, 08:43:00 am »
Originally posted by xneverwherex:
  Arthwys - out of curiosity - what bands are you listening to now? and i dont mean old bands ie blur, pulp, suede, etc. - i mean bands from today that youd consider britpop.
Eh, not so sure I'd call it Britpop, though I suppose it's Britpop version 2.0 to some degree.  I was a huge Libertines fan, and continue to love Dirty Pretty Things, Babyshambles is just a mess IMO.  I really like The Music, but haven't heard anything from them in a while.  Others would include Maximo Park, The Zutons, Bloc Party, The Duke Spirit, Muse, and my current obsession is Fields.  Their album Everything Last Winter is great, kinda arena rock for librarians, which is good because that's what I am, a library technician.
Emrys

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2007, 09:40:00 am »

Eh, not so sure I'd call it Britpop, though I suppose it's Britpop version 2.0 to some degree.  I was a huge Libertines fan, and continue to love Dirty Pretty Things, Babyshambles is just a mess IMO.  I really like The Music, but haven't heard anything from them in a while.  Others would include Maximo Park, The Zutons, Bloc Party, The Duke Spirit, Muse, and my current obsession is Fields.  Their album Everything Last Winter is great, kinda arena rock for librarians, which is good because that's what I am, a library technician. [/b]
I loved the Libertines, too.  I was just listening to "Up the Bracket" this morning.

Brian

Arthwys

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2007, 11:41:00 am »
Forgot to mention two big ones.  And they're even coming to town soon!  Patrick Wolf, love it.  British Sea Power, love it even more.  Going to both at Black Cat, anyone else headed to those?
Emrys

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2007, 11:44:00 am »
  Forgot to mention two big ones.  And they're even coming to town soon!  Patrick Wolf, love it.  British Sea Power, love it even more.  Going to both at Black Cat, anyone else headed to those?
I'm eying the Patrick Wolf show... but it's going to depend on my cash flow at the time  :)
nothx

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2007, 02:38:00 pm »
thanks for the answers. seeing british sea power at maxwells, as i cant make their cmj show. a friend that lived in london and is a hardcore BSP fan is coming with me with apparently a huge gathering of their fans from the UK and canada. cant wait. will be my first time seeing them.

btw - you should check out the enemy and the maccabees and throw in the wombats there. (if you havent yet). good stuff!
HeyLa

Arthwys

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2007, 03:26:00 pm »
  btw - you should check out the enemy and the maccabees and throw in the wombats there. (if you havent yet). good stuff!
BSP are good stuff.  I've seen them 3 times now, first time was opening for the Libs at Black Cat.  Incredible show, that one.  

The Enemy I've been listening to for the last couple weeks on NME.com  Good stuff, but not earthshakingly wonderful IMO.  Macabees I only know by name, and wombats nothing.  

Turns out setting up a Meetup thingy costs an arm and a leg.  So I think I might do a bit of a shout out to fellow Britpop types on craigslist, though I'm not sure what kind of replies I'll get out of that.
Emrys