Author Topic: Hearing Loss Anyone?  (Read 6931 times)

Bombay Chutney

Re: Hearing Loss Anyone?
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2004, 09:16:00 am »
Originally posted by walkonby:
  if anyone goes to any of the upcoming, J Mascis and the Fog show(s), please wear earplugs.
I've never seen J solo, but Dinosaur was by far the loudest band I've ever seen.  Even if you don't normally wear earplugs, I'd recommend them for this one.

xcanuck

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2004, 01:40:00 pm »
I go to about 50 shows annually and I've definitely noticed hearing loss.

I think it started as a teen when I used to crank up the stereo and play guitar/keys along with the albums. I mean, I REALLY cranked up the volume (my playing sounded MUCH better when music was louder than me  ;)  )

I know I should wear earplus but I find them uncomfortable. Same reasons I don't wear a full face shield or mouthguard when I play hockey. I'll eventually pay for my lack of judgement...

xcanuck

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2004, 01:41:00 pm »
I go to about 50 shows annually and I've definitely noticed hearing loss.

I think it started as a teen when I used to crank up the stereo and play guitar/keys along with the albums. I mean, I REALLY cranked up the volume (my playing sounded MUCH better when music was louder than me  ;)  )

I know I should wear earplus but I find them uncomfortable. Same reasons I don't wear a full face shield or mouthguard when I play hockey. I'll eventually pay for my lack of judgement...

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2004, 01:48:00 pm »
What?

walkonby

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2004, 06:38:00 pm »
wow...someone named j mascis posted that his hearing loss in the left ear was negative 55.  

i wonder why j never plays nine thirty, and only black cat when his love transmissions shine down upon our city.  maybe it's that homeless gentleman that yells, "black cat! . . .black cat!" all night long out front of the club.  i love that guy.  i make sure to give him a fiver when ever i see a show their.  i wonder if he's still there; it's ben awhile since i ventured to 14th and s.  maybe j likes "twin peaks", because the tile work in black cat is sort of similiar, with patterns leading you to the feeling that this club is gritty and big city catty, where girls with lisa lobe glasses and colours of dying hair sprouts, like to hang around on their tofu and bacon burritos.

j mascis is the musical representative of the hugging saint.  yeah, baby!  people from amhearst are nice.  artsy, but nice.  imagine a town comprised of nothing but corcoran school of art student named Voo, driving alfalfa romeos.

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2004, 06:44:00 pm »
Who?

Jaguär

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2004, 10:45:00 pm »
Walkonby, do you happen to know Tweaky?

thirsty moore

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2004, 12:35:00 pm »
I think that's the huffing pal Tweaky always told me about.

tiia

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2004, 11:48:00 am »
I'm talking chunks the size of crutons!!!!  .

[/QB][/QUOTE]

gross! hahahaha what do you do that you get so much build up?  That's not human!

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2004, 12:03:00 pm »
Why not give your money to a beggar who is missing arms or legs or something, instead of that lazy fuck?

Originally posted by walkonby:
  wow...someone named j mascis posted that his hearing loss in the left ear was negative 55.  

i wonder why j never plays nine thirty, and only black cat when his love transmissions shine down upon our city.  maybe it's that homeless gentleman that yells, "black cat! . . .black cat!" all night long out front of the club.  i love that guy.  i make sure to give him a fiver when ever i see a show their.  i wonder if he's still there; it's ben awhile since i ventured to 14th and s.  maybe j likes "twin peaks", because the tile work in black cat is sort of similiar, with patterns leading you to the feeling that this club is gritty and big city catty, where girls with lisa lobe glasses and colours of dying hair sprouts, like to hang around on their tofu and bacon burritos.

j mascis is the musical representative of the hugging saint.  yeah, baby!  people from amhearst are nice.  artsy, but nice.  imagine a town comprised of nothing but corcoran school of art student named Voo, driving alfalfa romeos.

vansmack

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2004, 06:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by cass:

gross! hahahaha what do you do that you get so much build up?  That's not human!
You're telling me.  I didn't know it was humanly possible either.  Apparently, ear wax is naturally made by stuff in your ear (like skin and hair) and outside ingredients (like shampoo and water) and the ear canal is self-cleaning.  

Supposedly, my ear canal doesn't clean itself properly, but they worked fine enough when I lived in warm weather, although as a surfer growing up, I had a lot of ear infections.  When I moved to cold-weather DC, the ear canal became a source of problems, and they had to remove 20 some-odd years of earwax buildup from both ears.  It was ridiculous.  I'm telling you, I wouldn't have believed it if I had seen it all in the discharge bowl she was using - she even called the doctor in to review the contents.  The doctor and nurse felt so badly for me after the first ear that they made me come back a few days later to do the other one, after applying three times the prescribed drops to loosen it all up.

I've had it done three time since the first time, and none have been as painful, but for me, it's never a walk in the park.  I recommend the drops that loosen the crap up the night before you have the procedure, not the 20-30 minutes the doctors say is all that is needed.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2004, 06:53:00 pm »
never wear earplugs, for some reason, dc clubs don't seem as bad as pittsburgh. i was deaf for like 2 days after a built to spill show at the old rosebud. and i have seen mascis here, but with the solo acoustic thing he was doing for awhile. may have to get earplugs for that one. dinosaur jr was really freakin loud back in the day
o/\o

walkonby

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2004, 03:49:00 pm »
j did tend to tone it down after dinosaur, then leading himself into an non-amped tour for awhile, which was awesome, thus leading himself into the Fog.  Most of the shows i've seen were loud . . . way loud.  ringing ears and everything.  but j is so worth the blood and tears.  now, with schools from widespread on bass, i've been told that the loudness factor will destroy you.  that's destroy you.  

rhett, i don't discrimahate.  i give money to all people in tend, not just because others think they are lazy.  and no, i don't know anyone named Trickster, though i do know alot of tricksters.  who is the j mascis on the forum?  that is what i want to know.

walkonby

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2004, 03:52:00 pm »
sorry, i meant Tweaky.  I don't know him either.

lacubriouschick

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2004, 07:01:00 pm »
i've always had ear problems growing up (i'm only 17). apparently, my ears don't pruduce lots of wax or any at that. i always got ear infections and had my adenoids removed when i was 4. i went to the features/kings of leon concert on the first of this month at the black cat and it was so fucking loud. i was screaming to my friend and she still could't hear me. i know i'll probably go deaf later in life. i listen to my music way too loud. a weird thing though, i hate when the tv is too loud. i cannot stand it. i never wear ear plugs to a show but i do wear them to bed.