Author Topic: Song which rocked the commute  (Read 7091 times)

bsuss

Re: Song which rocked the commute
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2005, 01:21:00 pm »
I sit here and see all of these bands that everyone is talking about and don't know half of them. Now I'm sure that this music good music and I'd would enjoy them I'm sure, but what I don't understand is why is there not a radio station brave enough to put these bands out there. Instead we get crap radio with crap bands.

vansmack

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2005, 01:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by eastcoastbrian:
   but what I don't understand is why is there not a radio station brave enough to put these bands out there.
LA's got one:   Indie 103 FM
27>34

bsuss

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2005, 01:29:00 pm »
There playlist is impresive. But I'd like to turn the Radio on here In D.C. and be able to here that stuff. Somebody needs to start a basement radio station and play the good stuff. "Pump up the Volume" Thank you Mr. Slater.

vansmack

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2005, 01:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by eastcoastbrian:
   But I'd like to turn the Radio on here In D.C. and be able to here that stuff.
I think that's sort of the point that most folks on the board are getting at here.  Most boardies haven't listened to broadcast radio in years because they don't play this stuff, so the demise of HFS is something that they feel they can mock and could "have told you so."  

The problem is, outside of LA, a radio station that plays this type of music likely won't make enough money for Infinity or Clear Channel either, but we're ok with that.  We've found alternatives through internet radio, mp3 players, and a few through XM.  The reason it works in LA is because so many people have to listen to the radio as they're stuck in hours fo traffic.  That's why LA has the most diverse radio stations and Clear Channel can take a chance on an Indie radio station, like Indie 103, to compete with KROQ and KCRW.

It's not going to happen in DC until they stop the radio conglomerates.
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2005, 01:50:00 pm »
well thanks to radio "research" station owners decided the way to go was to tighten up radio playlists and target specific demographics, thus what we have today.

fm radio stations would be much better if they returned to that time when they were considered "underground" and the dj/hosts would only yak between bong hits or when they were bored bangin' thier girlfriends in the studio.  nowadays it's personalities saying "witty" things and announcing the latest contest and having everything nicely program so that all the stations play commericals at the same time.

the success of little steven's underground garage show, proves that some listeners aren't as dumb and sheeplike as the industry thinks.

and before our resident XM fan pipes in, XM does provide an "alternative" to local radio.  but not everyone is buying into it.  i've heard plenty of critism about it's playlists, compressed sound and programming via computer.  several people have looked at my swagger mix cd and commented why aren't you programming XM. why? because it contains songs from the 60 onward, crosses genres i.e. garage, hair metal, classic rock, and indie.

IMHO a knowledgable host is what makes for good radio.  My dad is a jazz buff and would be an ideal candidate for XM seeing as there is little of that on the air anymore.  Yet, he has found a local show in the Detroit area which he enjoys because of the way the host programs.

I haven't switch to XM and rarely listen to the radio because the 60+  minutes I spend in my car everyday is the only time I can crank up recent CD purchases.  Should there be a John Peel, Little Steven, or Brave New Waves type show on the air when I'm driving.  Then I be listening to that.  I certainly don't need to hear the putzs on The Arrow making inane comments in amongst there perdictable playlist.
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2005, 01:59:00 pm »
and boy do i miss the CBC  weekend radio shows with David Wisdom and Leora Cornfeld.
T.Rex

ratioci nation

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2005, 02:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  nope your getting it confused with all those led zepplin songs they air
I use to listen to 94.7 quite a bit, and I know they played Barracuda alot because I dont care for it much and would turn the radio off    ;)

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2005, 02:09:00 pm »
Killing Joke-"Death & Resurrection Show"

Screaming Blue Messiahs- "Big Brother Muscle"

Naked Raygun- "New Dreams"

"Loud,louder....must wake up..."

ratioci nation

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2005, 02:11:00 pm »
my commute songs were-

plus/minus - Scarecrow
 Constantines - Young Offenders

bellenseb

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2005, 02:44:00 pm »
I wish XM were the answer; it sounds good but in practice it's pretty unexciting.

Their "indie" stream, XMU, is programmed like a computer, playing the same odd handful of "indie" acts over and over and ignoring 98% of bands on the indie radar (including most bands on major indies, such as Drag City, Merge, Sub Pop, Rough Trade, Matador, Parasol, Yep Rock, Saddle Creek, Hush, Secretly Canadian, etc, as well as interesting bands on less prominent labels). They do play obscure acts but I never get the immpression they were selected for any special quality; it seems extrememly random (i.e. they sent us a promo so we threw it on).

They also steadfastly refuse to play any tracks older than 18 months (unless they're lazy and forget to take something out of the playlist; but they'll never play anything older than their broadcast debut).

One look at the playlist of WOXY or Radio@Netscape puts XMU to shame. For example, WOXY today played tracks from the new Low and 89 Cubs albums mixed in with classic Yo La Tengo and Built to Spill. A human might have actually programmed this. They're music fans and they're on top of things.

That said, XM is certainly better than terrestrial radio, but it's frustrating how bizarrely mediocre it is.

ratioci nation

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2005, 02:50:00 pm »
Originally posted by bellenseb:

That said, XM is certainly better than terrestrial radio, but it's frustrating how bizarrely mediocre it is.
I completely agree, a friend at work had it and would play it in our work area, I never thought it was that special, and never discovered anything new out of it.  Which is why I am surprised that so many people think it is great.

bsuss

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2005, 03:34:00 pm »
XM is a fine alternative, if we did not have to pay for it. And it seems to me that we are slowly being forced into sat. radio.

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2005, 03:57:00 pm »
Barracuda

China Grove

Papa Don't Preach

lionforce5

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2005, 04:10:00 pm »
The One AM Radio: What You Gave Away, Flicker, Witness, Those Distant Lights

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2005, 03:55:00 pm »
looks like i'm a bit late on this (just got back from a week in paris), but my favorite all-time go-to-work get-pumped-up song is ... drum roll ...

Deftones - My Own Summer (Shove It)
(o|o)