Author Topic: Elf Power, Velvet Lounge 'issue'  (Read 1771 times)

Bags

Elf Power, Velvet Lounge 'issue'
« on: October 20, 2004, 11:03:00 am »
Tonight Wednesday, October 20
 Elf Power, Justin Jones, Laura Tsaggaris,Phosphoescent

Here's my question to the group -- there are four bands tonight at the Velvet Lounge, Elf Power being the headliner.  Alas, knowing the Lounge a bit, I am assuming that this means Elf Power is looking at a 12:00 or so start time.

1) Does that sound right?
 2) Are any of the openers known entities?
 3) Is there a place nearby to watch the Sox game...I can't think of a place with a t.v. off the top of my head.

Thanks for insights and suggestions.

Bags

Re: Elf Power, Velvet Lounge 'issue'
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 11:05:00 am »
PS, I SO wish this show had stayed at DC9.
   :(

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 11:07:00 am »
Stetson's will surely have the game on.

Bags

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 11:09:00 am »
True, they will...I probably won't get in to that place unless I show up about 6:00, though.  Hmmm...

thirsty moore

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 11:16:00 am »
Can't say I'm a big fan of the most recent Elf Power record.  Redsock, I'll expand that into 300-400 words for you asap.

bellenseb

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 11:27:00 am »
Four bands at the Velvet Lounge? Will Elf Power go on before 1:30? I doubt it.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 11:33:00 am »
4 acts on a Wednesday night?  Ugh.

Am I the only one that hates these mini-festivals? Does anyone really show up and watch all 4 bands?  I'm willing to see just about anybody, but even I don't have the patience to sit through several hours of unknown acts.

One opener - I'll probably show up early to catch them.

Two openers - I might do a little research into the first band to see if it's worth showing up early enough to catch part of their set. Otherwise, I'm doing the math to figure out what time I can get there and avoid them.

Three openers - forget it.  Not only will I not show up several hours early to see them, I might just bail on the show altogether, knowing that the headliner isn't coming on until incredibly late.

More is not always better.

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 11:36:00 am »
Pussy. Don't you know that bars make more money selling alcohol at 1 am than they do selling it at 9pm?

Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:
  4 acts on a Wednesday night?  Ugh.

Am I the only one that hates these mini-festivals? Does anyone really show up and watch all 4 bands?  I'm willing to see just about anybody, but even I don't have the patience to sit through several hours of unknown acts.

One opener - I'll probably show up early to catch them.

Two openers - I might do a little research into the first band to see if it's worth showing up early enough to catch part of their set. Otherwise, I'm doing the math to figure out what time I can get there and avoid them.

Three openers - forget it.  Not only will I not show up several hours early to see them, I might just bail on the show altogether, knowing that the headliner isn't coming on until incredibly late.

More is not always better.

Bags

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 11:40:00 am »
:(   I know.  I've been waiting to see Elf Power (I only have one album, "Nothing's Going to Happen," and I like it, so would love to catch their show and see if I should get more...), and was pretty excited when they were going to be at DC9 -- which means finished by 11:00 or so.

But that late on a weekday is nigh near impossible; I don't mind weekday shows (in fact, there are often fewer social conflicts to deal with during the week), but I've got a job.  And I actually have to be alert (hell, I'm angling for a pretty intense promotion, I need to be more than alert, I need to be downright perky...).

In the extreme, I can see four bands on a weekend night (and at a place like 9:30, they'd start by 8:30).  But, like you B.C., I'm almost certainly going to miss the first two bands unless I hear some real, specific positive buzz on them.  

Well, at least I can dedicate my time to the Sox tonight...

ratioci nation

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2004, 11:43:00 am »
Originally posted by Bags:
   :(    I know.  I've been waiting to see Elf Power (I only have one album, "Nothing's Going to Happen," and I like it, so would love to catch their show and see if I should get more...),
but thats their covers album, I would love to go to Elf Power, but am busy tonight

Bags

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2004, 11:50:00 am »
Originally posted by pollard:
 I would love to go to Elf Power, but am busy tonight
Must be a good night in store if you're busy at 1:00 a.m.    :D  

Okay, if I'm going to get one Elf Power originals album, which one should I get (noting that I like the covers album, and tend to prefer the less lo-fi output...)

Venerable Bede

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2004, 11:56:00 am »

Originally posted by pollard:
 I would love to go to Elf Power, but am busy tonight
Must be a good night in store if you're busy at 1:00 a.m.     :D  
 [/b]
come on, the way american league games, and this series in particular, is drawn out for 4-5 hours, if first pitch is at 8:30, the game won't be over until around 12:30.  course, if the astros win in the early game, i'm sure pollard will still be sobbing and hoping for albert pujols to come and console him.   ;)
OU812

ratioci nation

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2004, 12:45:00 pm »
  Must be a good night in store if you're busy at 1:00 a.m.     :D  

Okay, if I'm going to get one Elf Power originals album, which one should I get (noting that I like the covers album, and tend to prefer the less lo-fi output...)
wish it was a good night in store, just work

I actually have not heard the covers album, but of their originals I like When The Red King Comes, which also features a great cover (Needles in the Camels Eye), I also like A Dream in Sound and The Winter is Coming.  The last two, Creatures and Walking with the Beggar Boys have not been as good IMHO.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2004, 10:31:00 pm »
i went to middle school with laura tsaggaris. never knew she was a musician until now. good for her
o/\o

frostytheswami

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2004, 11:37:00 pm »
  PS, I SO wish this show had stayed at DC9.
    :(  
I emailed DC9 a while back to find out if Elf Power was still playing there, and they basically said that the band's management were a real pain to deal with, so the club passed on having them.

I've wanted to see them for a long time, but there is no way I can do a 4-band bill and drive all the way back to Baltimore on a week night.