Author Topic: SNL  (Read 20954 times)

ggw

Re: SNL
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2005, 10:55:00 am »
Mick Jagger playing Keith Richards was one of the better skits.

distance

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2005, 11:01:00 am »
Originally posted by [username edited by p.c. moderator]:

Originally posted by distance:
  SP were in a skit in 98.

SP (1998): one song, one skit.
 Zwan: two songs.

GREAT move, SNL.    :roll:  [/b]
wasn't the one song 'perfect'?
 i hated that song.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2005, 11:03:00 am »
Originally posted by distance:
  wasn't the one song 'perfect'?

Yeah. I wasn't ever a big perfect fan either, although I did like when they played it on Letterman, that was a good version.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2005, 11:05:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Mick Jagger playing Keith Richards was one of the better skits.
That one was hilarious.

There was Madonna in that Wayne's World sketch/dream sequence, but I'm not sure if she was the host that night.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2005, 11:31:00 am »
a season ago or so, kelly clarkson (musical guest that night) showed up in a skit.  now, there have been plenty of times when musicians are in skits, but may not be the musical guest.  like madonna's done it a few times- wayne's world, an episode of coffee talk (which also had barbara steisand in it).  i think my favourite one (besides mick jagger playing keith richards on weekend update), is where paul simon (as host/musical guest) remembers everyone he meets on a street from every show he's played, but can't remember who art garfunkel is when he shows up.

that being said, i don't remember when the musical guest was in so many skits and was a relatively big part of certain sketches.
OU812

boweswana

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2005, 11:34:00 am »
OK I'll start.  That was probably the unfunniest SNL I have ever seen.  The Indigo Girls skit was painfully bad as was the "Lance can't run" Ironman thing.

eros

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2005, 11:40:00 am »
The host really makes a difference.  I didn't see this past week, but it seems that SNL saves their better material for when they have a bigger host.

Example -  the Catherine Zeta-Jones episode was pretty funny, a week after the cringe-inducingly bad episode with Napoleon Dynamite.
ʎɐʍou

vansmack

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2005, 12:33:00 pm »
Wow.  Thanks for answering my question.  Now I'm going to go back and find where I read that....I'm almost certain it was Jay Mohr's book and he was talking about a skit he had written for Bono, but I'm not even 80% certain.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2005, 12:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by the Pharmacist:
  OK I'll start.  That was probably the unfunniest SNL I have ever seen.  The Indigo Girls skit was painfully bad as was the "Lance can't run" Ironman thing.
Agreed.  But Tina Fey's "smoke pole" joke is in my top 3 Tina Fey Weekend Update jokes of all time.
27>34

Bags

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2005, 12:35:00 pm »
Kelly Clarkson was in a skit as a busker on the subway.  Can't remember the guest host, but she wasn't even banging him.

Guiny

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2005, 01:00:00 pm »
Jon Bon Jovi/Joey Santora and Sting both did different skits but the same subject. They were interviewing two dancers to appear on their video or something, and they would come out to the band song and imitate it by dance ridiculously. I believe Chris Katan was one of the two, those were hilarious.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2005, 01:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Agreed.  But Tina Fey's "smoke pole" joke is in my top 3 Tina Fey Weekend Update jokes of all time. [/b]
there are 2 others?

i miss norm...
(o|o)

eros

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2005, 01:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:

Agreed.  But Tina Fey's "smoke pole" joke is in my top 3 Tina Fey Weekend Update jokes of all time. [/b]
there are 2 others?

[/b]
Paraphrasing...When Bono was at the White House he asked Bush to fight AIDS and cancel third world debt.  Bush asked Bono to get back with Cher.

Pretty funny.
ʎɐʍou

distance

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2005, 01:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by eros:
  The host really makes a difference.  I didn't see this past week, but it seems that SNL saves their better material for when they have a bigger host.

Example -  the Catherine Zeta-Jones episode was pretty funny, a week after the cringe-inducingly bad episode with Napoleon Dynamite.
i haven't really found any of the last 3 to be very funny.  it's very hit-or-miss these days.  usually if it's not funny by the end of the first 30 minutes, it's not going to get any better.

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2005, 01:50:00 pm »

That and 34% of Americans believe that Adam and Eve road dinosaurs to church on Sunday.