Author Topic: Public Commuters are going to love this...  (Read 1826 times)

vansmack

Public Commuters are going to love this...
« on: January 23, 2006, 07:01:00 pm »
Congrats,

This is one of my favorite things about SF Public Transportation.  Not a day goes by where I don't look up the next train arriving on my cell phone to see if I should wait for the train or if I have time to get a cup of coffee, etc.  

NextBus wins $2M D.C. contract

NextBus Inc. has won a $2 million contract to equip buses in Washington, D.C., with technology that lets riders track the vehicles and determine exactly when they'll reach a particular stop.

Alameda-based NextBus is owned by Grey Island Systems International Inc., a Canadian company.

NextBus has an option to renew its contract with the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority for four more years at $450,000 per year. Its global positioning technology tracks buses and sends their location and actual schedules to riders via the Internet, wireless devices or electronic signs at bus stops.

NextBus already has a contract with San Francisco's Municipal Railway and with AC Transit and the Emery-Go-Round in the East Bay.
27>34

pj

Re: Public Commuters are going to love this...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 07:20:00 pm »
http://www.boston.com/news/odd/articles/2006/01/22/8_nabbed_for_no_pants_subway_ride_in_ny/

how about this? Pantsless subway ride in NY gets 8 arrested.

Chip Chanko

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 09:58:00 pm »
This was working w/ the 38B line out of arlington a few years ago but then it just stopped working. It was nice because it put the time till bus arrival in each bus stop so you knew whether to wait or take the metro. Can't wait for it to start up again.

It's funny because the ads for it are still on buses but it hasn't worked for at least two years.

Bags

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 01:15:00 pm »
That looks amazing...and just what I really could have used at my old place in Woodley Park, where I took the 92 bus to U street a couple times a week (the bus stop was in front of my apt building, so knowing the exact time of arrival could have saved me long waits in the cold and rain; on Fridays I had a drink in hand, though -- not so bad).  

Very cool, I'd love it if it got more folks on the bus.

vansmack

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 01:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  That looks amazing...and just what I really could have used at my old place in Woodley Park, where I took the 92 bus to U street a couple times a week
It works much better with Trains then it does buses.  The trains are rarely off by more than 30 seconds.

The only buses that have accurate readings in SF are the electric buses.  The predictions on Natural Gas buses are sometimes off by 4-5 minutes.

But the technology will improve.

You can see how it works in SF at www.nextmuni.com
27>34