Author Topic: Asobi Seksu  (Read 2517 times)

redsock

Asobi Seksu
« on: August 16, 2004, 11:00:00 am »
Anyone else going on Thursday? Really excited to see them. Don't know who Les Sans Cullottes are, other than that they play french-pop and are from NY. Good dreamy pop if you're into that sort of thing.

MaLo

Re: Asobi Seksu
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 02:09:00 pm »
I'm going to be there.  Les Sans Culottes are fun...i'm psyched to see them live.  I've listened to a little Asobi Seksu, they're pretty good.

I've never been to a show in the back stage at teh black cat...what time do i need to show up to get tickets?  anyone know?

markie

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 02:15:00 pm »
There are no tickets for the backstage. You get handstamped going through the door (which is at the rear of the redroom bar).

If you think it will sell out, get there a few minutes before the door opens, normally 8.30 on a weekday. I you dont think it will sell out......

I liked a sans culottes song I heard the other day.

Bags

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 03:41:00 pm »
This looks quite interesting....
 From a New York Times article accessed through the Asobi  website.

The 80's are still a prime source of inspiration for New York rockers, but many of the most recent groups focus on a different side of the decade than their immediate predecessors. Instead of the confrontational, avant-garde rock of Gang of Four and the Fall, they favor the melancholy of the Cure and the opacity of Peter Gabriel.

Two groups with female singers, On!Air!Library! and Asobi Seksu, draw heavily from the British "dream pop" of groups like Lush and the Cocteau Twins, with glumly swaying rhythms, big storm clouds of guitar and spookily angelic voices. On!Air!Library!, featuring two sweet-voiced identical twin sisters, Alley and Claudia Deheza, will release its self-titled debut album on April 6 on the Arena Rock label. Its best track is "Bread," an epic round that hints at weird inner obsessions: "The reason why you don't rest/ You haven't built it." The Deheza sisters sing it in close, grandiose, Irish-tinged harmony.

Asobi Seksu takes the late-80's British connection even further on its debut album ("Asobi Seksu," released on Friendly Fire), with songs like "Let Them Wait" and "Sooner" that borrow the grimly cinematic psychedelia of My Bloody Valentine.

These newer bands owe a clear debt to their most recent predecessors. Mr. Sitek, who plays guitar and programs most of the electronic effects in TV on the Radio, has produced albums for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and the Liars. And the the Strokes' Julian Casablancas and the Yeahs' Karen O are no strangers to the slow-building rock ballad, though they seem more in their element when they are acting out, rousing the crowds.

Bands like the Strokes, Oneida and the Rapture were self-consciously re-establishing New York rock as gritty, noisy party music. But TV on the Radio and their ilk arrive at a time when a rock renaissance has already been firmly established in New York. They don't need to shout to let out their dark emotions, and that's something to feel good about.

markie

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 03:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bagalicious Tangster:

featuring two sweet-voiced identical twin sisters,
When did Exit Clov change their name?

redsock

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 03:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by mark e smith:

featuring two sweet-voiced identical twin sisters,
When did Exit Clov change their name? [/b]
No joke, I like on!air!library! a lot. And it has nothing to do with them being twins. I get my full with the pair of sweet-voiced twins I already have to deal with.

Bags

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 03:59:00 pm »
redsock, come on, as if there can be too many sweet-voiced twins in any one man's life.   ;)

redsock

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 04:07:00 pm »
  redsock, come on, as if there can be too many sweet-voiced twins in any one man's life.    ;)  
I know its hard to believe, but the coors commerials are all wrong.

vansmack

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2004, 07:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:
   I know its hard to believe, but the coors commerials are all wrong.
Don't make me make a special trip to DC just to kick your ass!  Now you take that back or else....
27>34

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2004, 08:06:00 pm »
There are too many good shows Thursday night. I would love to catch the Black Cat show, but I think I will go see  thebrotherkite  at the Velvet Lounge. They are on the excellent Clairecords label and are billed as "Death Cab for Shoegaze." (I highly recommend downloading songs from their web site.)

snailhook

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2004, 08:37:00 pm »
wow, there's a good band playing at the velvet lounge again? clairecords is solid.

i have an awesome show at the warehouse, too...check the warehouse thread for details.

i guess having too many good shows in one night is a good problem to have.

Jaguär

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2004, 12:49:00 am »
This is killing me! I've been wanting to see Asobi Seksu for several months now and they have to go and play here on a night that I can't make. I also want to see The Brother Kite and the show at The Warehouse on Thursday too. It's just impossible for me to work a full week and go to 2 shows in DC, back to back, 2 nights in a row. Already committed and looking forward to the Friday show at The Warehouse with Alcian Blue, Drone Dimension and Out Circut.

There are a total of 10 different halfway decent options in DC just on Thursday and Friday nights alone! What's a rocking Indie chick all the way up in Baltimore to do?

redsock

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2004, 10:27:00 am »
Originally posted by kurosawa-b/w:
  There are too many good shows Thursday night. I would love to catch the Black Cat show, but I think I will go see  thebrotherkite  at the Velvet Lounge. They are on the excellent Clairecords label and are billed as "Death Cab for Shoegaze." (I highly recommend downloading songs from their web site.)
I'm glad they are playing down here. They are homies from RI that had a single of the week on BigYawn. I like their stuff. Too bad I'll be at Asobi. Well, not too bad, but too bad I'll miss them.

redsock

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2004, 05:28:00 pm »
Wel,, I'll be there this evening if anyone else cares to venture out. Not sure I'll be staying after Asobi Seksu though.

redsock

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2004, 01:03:00 am »
Well, Asobi Seksu was really good I thought. Their sound translated well live. It would have been better to have heard the vocal a tad louder, but it is the backstage. I left early on in the Culottes set. Not really sure what was going there, but it scared me. Are they a novelty act, or are they really serious?