Author Topic: Asobi Seksu  (Read 2516 times)

MaLo

Re: Asobi Seksu
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2004, 08:29:00 am »
Originally posted by redsock:
  Well, Asobi Seksu was really good I thought. Their sound translated well live. It would have been better to have heard the vocal a tad louder, but it is the backstage. I left early on in the Culottes set. Not really sure what was going there, but it scared me. Are they a novelty act, or are they really serious?
I really enjoyed Asobi Sesku, i'd definitly go see them again...Les Sans Culottes ruled though.  I'd been wanting to see them for a couple years. I was up front dancing (actually, there were only like 4 people dancing...which kinda sucked). I don't know much more about them other than their music...it looks like they take their faux-"frenchness" seriously...but what i do know?  I pretend i'm french all the time as well

mustourdman

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2004, 10:12:00 am »
I thought both bands were really good. I saw LSC on the backstage about a year and a half ago the night of a blizzard and there were only about 25 people there, so last night was more fun.

But LSC usually has a guy on keyboards and a different bassist (Jean-Luc Retard) and last time you could hear the lead singer's "franglish" clearer and the humor came through better.

I think they're both novelty and serious. The music is quite good in a poppy way -- especially "Les Sauvages" which I think is in a cell phone commercial now. But from reading their website and listening to their lyrics, it's pretty obvious they're a bit of a novelty too.

Also, Celine Dijon is hot.

Bags

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2004, 07:43:00 pm »
Asobi Seksu at the Black Cat: Rehearsed to a Fault
 Saturday, August 21, 2004; Page C02
 Washington Post

On its self-titled debut album, Asobi Seksu sounds like Blondie molested by My Bloody Valentine, with the added diversion of a Japanese vocalist who sings in a girlish soprano. Expectations of how this formula might work in concert were quickly upturned when the New York quartet performed Thursday at the Black Cat. Rather than noisy and naive, the music was professional and even theatrical. It turns out that Asobi Seksu (the name is Japanese for "sex play'') owes nearly as much to Broadway as to CBGB's.

With singer-keyboardist Yuki Chikudate in a dark-patterned cocktail dress and her band mates all in black (save for bassist Glenn Waldman's white tie), the band looked a bit like a cabaret act. Performing such numbers as "Walk on the Moon," it also sounded like one. Chikudate hit some high notes, but she sang mostly in a lower range, and her style was belting more often than breathy. Even the music's most anarchic element, James Hanna's flailing, impastoed rhythm guitar, sounded tamed.

The set-closing "Sooner" (a distant relation of MBV's "Soon'') had its dramatic moments, with Chikudate banging her head and strobes blasting to illustrate each guitar climax, but they were carefully choreographed. The musicians' control was impressive, yet also a little chilly. Perhaps it was just because the foursome played a relatively short set, but it seemed that Asobi Seksu had edited out its playfulness.

-- Mark Jenkins