Author Topic: 9:30=good, neighborhood=bad  (Read 6839 times)

Fico

9:30=good, neighborhood=bad
« on: October 25, 2004, 02:42:00 pm »
Went to the Death Cab show on Saturday only to find that my friend's car parked on Georgia and V had it's window broken in order to steal a Swiffer and tape-to-cd adapter.

It is the 4th time a friend's car has had a window smashed in the area...once in Vermont Ave close to Velvet, once in that street parallel to U st that leads into the gas station, once on 9th.. and seems that every so often you go to a show and walking to the metro you see the same happening to others..what a shite neighborhood..it's gotten to the point where I don't invite friends to my band's gigs at DC9 or Velvet out of fear they'll break into their cars..

Before you smartarses mention the 9:30 lot, it was full on saturday. Any other suggestions for the future?? any street seem safer than others to you in the neighborhood?

Re: 9:30=good, neighborhood=bad
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 02:45:00 pm »
You are wrong. This is a safe neighborhood. If you think otherwise, you must be a yuppie suburbanite.

Sorry...just anticipating the usual "Nothing bad has ever happened to me, therefore it's a safe neighborhood" responses you're bound to get.

My sympathies to your friend.

Captain Jack

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 02:48:00 pm »
Yeah, parking nearby has never been a problem.
 Just don't be a douche.

ggw

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 02:48:00 pm »
Main streets = good
 Side streets = bad

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 02:53:00 pm »
We park around R Street between 14th and 15th and walk. Or in that general vicinity.

distance

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 02:56:00 pm »
i've never had a problem parking on the streets around the 930 club, except for the time we left the headlights on...

hitman

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 02:56:00 pm »
I don't know what happened on 8th street (I think, it is the one if you are looking at the club, it is the street to your right, past the alley), but it was nuts on Friday night after the De La Soul show.  I'm assuming something bad had to occur, because cops taped off the street and there were patrol cars behind the tape, and patrol cars on V at the intersection.  Does anyone know what happened?  I normally park on that street but parked in the lot that night thinking parking would be a problem due to the Papa Roach show just prior.  Now I'm a bit worried.  It's such a shame for something to happen, right after De La laid down such a positive vibe.

Fico

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 03:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Main streets = good
 Side streets = bad
So Georgia Ave is not considered to be a Main street??

I'm just baffled..it's not even a question of parking on a well-lit street..I guess next time I'll try and find parking in the Dupont and take the train from there...

dotdot

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2004, 03:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  You are wrong. This is a safe neighborhood. If you think otherwise, you must be a yuppie suburbanite.

Sorry...just anticipating the usual "Nothing bad has ever happened to me, therefore it's a safe neighborhood" responses you're bound to get.

My sympathies to your friend.
You're right!  I've only gotten held-up by firearms twice after a show there.

eddie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2004, 03:05:00 pm »
The lot has never sold out in advance.  So you can always buy a ticket for the parking lot in advance.  For tickets to the parking lot,  there is a $2 service charge through tickets.com and $0 from our box office.   There is no safer place to park around the club than the parking lot behind the  club.    The incident Saturday night at 8th and V had nothing to do with patrons of the 9:30 Club.

jkeisenh

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2004, 03:08:00 pm »
while we're at it, let's rehash the tickets.com service fee discussion.  and the discussion about security at the club.

sorry i can't relate.  i don't own a windshield or car windows.

ggw

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2004, 03:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by Fico:

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Main streets = good
 Side streets = bad
So Georgia Ave is not considered to be a Main street??

I'm just baffled..it's not even a question of parking on a well-lit street..I guess next time I'll try and find parking in the Dupont and take the train from there... [/b]
I'm not sure where Georgia Avenue is in relation to the Club.  I park on Florida between 7th and 9th; on V St. between 7th and 9th; on 8th between Florida and V; on 7th St. in front of the hospital; or along 9th in front of the 9:30 lot -- and my yuppie chariot has never been burgled in the 50-odd times I've parked in those areas.

Does your friend have a tendency to leave things in plain view inside his car?

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2004, 03:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by Fico:
 Before you smartarses mention the 9:30 lot, it was full on saturday. Any other suggestions for the future?? any street seem safer than others to you in the neighborhood?
Seeing that I don't drive to the club anymore since living downtown, I guess I'll tell you the spot I always parked at and never had a problem. 8th St cross over V St and go behind the club, all the way down to where it dead-ends turn into that lot on the left that's for Howard. They don't tow.

As for any other "safer streets" you can try Westminster and 9th, French and 9th, S and 9th. They're more family oriented streets.

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2004, 03:25:00 pm »
or have a significant other   :p  

Originally posted by chimbly sweep:
  while we're at it, let's rehash the tickets.com service fee discussion.  and the discussion about security at the club.

sorry i can't relate.  i don't own a windshield or car windows.

edbert

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2004, 03:26:00 pm »
The added $$ for parking or taxi can tip the scale into not-worth-it territory.  Often I continue on to Plan B if I don't see a good space