Author Topic: Libertines at BC  (Read 6766 times)

Mobius

Re: Libertines at BC
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2003, 11:07:00 am »
Not much to add.  Great show.  Enjoyed British Sea Power.  Excellent guitarist.  Both singer and bassist looked like Iggy Pop if he went to college and just said no.  Libertines rocked.  I assumed the Spacehog calls were b/c the bassist looked like the guy from Spacehog (and he looked like he was trying to hard to look cool and Spacehog sucks).  The drummer kicked ass (I didn't pick up how good he is from the CD or EP), the "lost Stroke" looking guy filled in well for Pete. Bonus points for holding a cigarette in his mouth while flailing around during songs AND while singing.  Couldn't help but think how dynamic would be different w/ Pete there, but ignoring that, Carl works as the main man and it was a great high powered show.

BlueEyedAndDangerous

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2003, 11:41:00 am »
I had a great time at the show and I danced a lot. And that was the first time I had heard any of bands. However, I couldn't help but think that the Libertines lacked substance. It struck me that the lead singer was only up there to get girls.

"Making music to get pussy to make music about"

ggw

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2003, 12:20:00 pm »
I had the good fortune of meeting and talking to the Libertines drummer for a while before the show.  In addition to being an excellent musician, he is an exceedingly nice guy.  His background is as a jazz drummer, mainly doing sessions.  He was "drafted" by the band to give them some much-needed backbone.

I thought British Sea Power was excellent also.  They cleared their merchandise off the table early though, so I didn't get a chance to buy any of the EPs.  Have any of you who bought the EPs listened to them?  How do they compare to the live show?

jadetree

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2003, 12:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  I had the good fortune of meeting and talking to the Libertines drummer for a while before the show.  In addition to being an excellent musician, he is an exceedingly nice guy.  His background is as a jazz drummer, mainly doing sessions.  He was "drafted" by the band to give them some much-needed backbone.

I thought British Sea Power was excellent also.  They cleared their merchandise off the table early though, so I didn't get a chance to buy any of the EPs.  Have any of you who bought the EPs listened to them?  How do they compare to the live show?
I have listened to a couple of them, Apologies to Insect Life is very good.  I look forward to getting the whole album.

markie

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2003, 12:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
   talking to the Libertines drummer for a while
Namedropper!!! Did you get them out for the boys in the band?

I have given the British sea power singles a couple of spins. I think they are pretty good. Not as good as the live show though. I think they will grow on me more.

mankie

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2003, 12:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by Yank:

See Mankie, if you wouldn't be so closed-minded, you wouldn't have missed a couple of the best bands to come out of England in the past couple of years!  Now we just need for you to accept all of the new Great Scouse bands that are ready to conquer the states!!!!!!     ;)  [/b]
I really wanted to go but we couldn't get a babysitter at such short notice.

Great scouse bands huh? Echo & the bunnymen, Dead or Alive, Frankie goes to Hollywood, Flock of seagulls and the Mighty mighty wah all getting back together or something? Or are they just going to dig John and George up seeing as Liverpool can't seem to get past the cuddly mop-tops!

bungle bud

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2003, 10:13:00 pm »
well hurrah for mentioning the mighty wah, pete wylie a true genius a guy whos music markie didnt like  :D