Author Topic: Libertines at BC  (Read 7023 times)

bungle bud

Re: Libertines at BC
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2003, 12:58:00 pm »
i saw the whole show, but no matter how hard i looked i couldnt find you, where did you go? i ran home in tears, i still have all those cds in my manbag, you were right about the libertines sounding abit like the clash,cos i hate the clash.

markie

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2003, 01:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by bungle bud:
  i saw the whole show, but no matter how hard i looked i couldnt find you, where did you go?  
Did you think of looking in the mosh pit? Everyone else was close to their positions for British sea power. We waited around at the end looking for you too.

Yea I was looking forward to the Guy Chadwick and perfume CDs. If you are not coming for a show soon, you will have to come for a curry.

Dont like the clash? I hope you are kidding.

anyone who enjoyed the libertines would probably enjoy the high strung tomorrow at velvet lounge.

"come on loretta, let me put my free hand up your sweater"

Yank

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2003, 01:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by bungle bud:
  i saw the whole show, but no matter how hard i looked i couldnt find you, where did you go? i ran home in tears, i still have all those cds in my manbag, you were right about the libertines sounding abit like the clash,cos i hate the clash.
I hear more of The Jam than The Clash in their music.  But being that Mick Jones of The Clash produced Up The Bracket, there is no way of getting away from The Clash comparisons.  

See Mankie, if you wouldn't be so closed-minded, you wouldn't have missed a couple of the best bands to come out of England in the past couple of years!  Now we just need for you to accept all of the new Great Scouse bands that are ready to conquer the states!!!!!!    ;)

jadetree

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2003, 01:29:00 pm »
I think I enjoyed British Sea Power a little bit more than The Libertines, the Libertines were fantastic, for about 6 songs at the beginning and the end, but it gets a little boring after so much of the same thing.  I thought I was about to see the best show in a long time after the first 3 Libertines songs in particular.

British Sea Power surprised me though, it is rare that I immediately like a band when seeing them live without ever hearing them before (well I had watched a video on NME a while ago and remembered liking it but did not remember the music at all).

Yank

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2003, 01:30:00 pm »
Not to change the topic, but have any of you heard the new Snow Patrol album "Final Straw"?  I'm listening to it now, and it's really good.  In my opinion, much better than The Reindeer Section albums.

jadetree

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2003, 01:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by Yank:
  Not to change the topic, but have any of you heard the new Snow Patrol album "Final Straw"?  I'm listening to it now, and it's really good.  In my opinion, much better than The Reindeer Section albums.
I know somebody who really likes Snow Patrol, I could never get into it, is the new one better than the old ones?

Yank

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2003, 01:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by Robert Pollard:

I know somebody who really likes Snow Patrol, I could never get into it, is the new one better than the old ones? [/b]
Hummmmmmm?  Well, if you don't like the other two Snow Patrol albums, you probably won't like this one either.  I just think that Gary Lightbody has a good voice and writes some lovely songs.  Sorry to sound so wimpy, but it's true!

Yank

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2003, 01:41:00 pm »
Originally posted by Robert Pollard:

I know somebody who really likes Snow Patrol, I could never get into it, is the new one better than the old ones? [/b]
But if you like old punk rockers (which I do), Stiff Little Fingers has a new album out that rawks!  It's called "Guitar And Drum"....buy the f*ckers cause the band needs your money.

Arthwys

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2003, 02:19:00 pm »
Phew!  Ended up heading down for the show regardless of being friendless for this one.  Everything I hoped it could be!  Living Things were alright, but I thought we could've done w/o the left wing rant.  British Sea Power I was very impressed by, both stage show and music.  I'm off to buy some of their stuff soon.  The Libertines met all my expectations.  Their setlist was extensive and tight.  Their drummer is absolutely insane.  Thankfully the crowd was into the music and I was in the thick of it (right next to the stage on the right).  The girl next to me was from NY city but made the trip down cuz her concert was canceled due to the blackout.  All in all it would've been a huge mistake for me to have missed this show.  Come back soon Pete!
Emrys

Jaguär

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2003, 02:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by poorlulu:
  and the libertines were fantastic how hot is that guy?
 talk about rock n'roll.........

From the neck up, very cute.

From the neck down, fucking hot perfection!!!     :o    

Thirsty, when did you join the Royal Navy?

British Sea Power were sort of like the British Gilligan's Island except with cute British guys instead of American tourists. I kept thinking that they would be a great opening act for The Coral.

On a different note....I like Snow Patrol.

Jaguär

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2003, 02:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by Arthwys:
  Phew!  Ended up heading down for the show regardless of being friendless for this one.  Everything I hoped it could be!  Living Things were alright, but I thought we could've done w/o the left wing rant.  British Sea Power I was very impressed by, both stage show and music.  I'm off to buy some of their stuff soon.  The Libertines met all my expectations.  Their setlist was extensive and tight.  Their drummer is absolutely insane.  Thankfully the crowd was into the music and I was in the thick of it (right next to the stage on the right).  The girl next to me was from NY city but made the trip down cuz her concert was canceled due to the blackout.  All in all it would've been a huge mistake for me to have missed this show.  Come back soon Pete!
It really wasn't left wing but more anti-wing. Never-the-less, I still didn't want to hear any of it.

You were standing right with us then. That must be the girl who I was talking with for awhile. Very nice person. Hope she comes back this way for some more shows.

myuman

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2003, 02:50:00 pm »
Originally posted by Arthwys:
  Living Things were alright, but I thought we could've done w/o the left wing rant.  
Yeah... at least they could have gotten their facts straight before getting so political ("war for f'in oil"... do your homework mate)  Anyhow, great evening, but I loathe moshing.  I had a good viewing spot, but within a few songs found myself on the other side of the room.  Why must people who can't dance turn some events into a testosterone display?  Especially annoying when I had a pint glass in my pocket, being too lazy to return it to the bar.  Very glad I went, but wish I would have set up camp near the merchandise table in relative comfort.

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2003, 06:12:00 pm »
Well, I am definitely glad I arranged my vacation so that I could return for this show. I literally stepped off the plane and went to the Black Cat. Terrific! I missed the first band. But was there for the fantastically intense British Sea Power complete with set decoration. Loved their setlist and especially the guy with the drum. I'm looking forward to their return. They definitely won over the crowd. (By the way, who was that enthusiastic fan next to you, Markie? It was nice to see someone shouting all the words.) And the Libertines were fantastic. I was skeptical going into the show because from what I've read, they had been hit or miss. Plus they've been hyped to no end, and the album is good but a little too polished for my tastes. But they were savage and tight and exciting on stage. I loved it. And what a reception from the crowd! I could tell the drummer especially was excited by the energy coming back at them. A great show! Let's hope they come back. (Oh and I thought the second guitarist was splendid. I'm not sure what Pete was like but this guy was really good.)

bungle bud

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2003, 07:34:00 pm »
british seapower coming back in october  :)  the cd the decline of british seapower is released in september, so they will have something to promote, now if we can only get PURESSENCE to come over.

ggw

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2003, 09:22:00 am »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A7467-2003Aug17.html

Libertines at the Black Cat

Rock wisdom holds that a band can only go as far as its drummer allows. For the Libertines, who have Gary Powell providing the backbeat, the sky's the limit.

The U.K. buzz band needs Powell to be at his thumping best these days, and so he was at the Black Cat on Saturday. The Libertines appeared without songwriter and guitarist Pete Doherty. Last week, Doherty pleaded guilty in London to stealing thousands of dollars of equipment from band mate Carl Barat's flat, and later blamed the criminal behavior on addictions to crack cocaine and heroin.

The Libertines have also done away with the British military uniforms worn in past performances and in music videos. The garb, along with being kitschy cool, made for a nice visual complement to the quartet's retro, fuzzy guitar-based sound, which updates the garage rock of, among others, Revolutionary-garbed elders Paul Revere and the Raiders. On "Horror Show" and "Up the Bracket," both played early in an hour-long set, Barat, now assuming the musical and vocal duties once provided by Doherty, sported a well-worn leather jacket, in which he shimmied across the stage in perfect time with Powell's banging blitzkrieg. That effort, combined with the heat in the jampacked upstairs room, eventually got the better of Barat, so he doffed his tough-guy get-up and danced bare-torso during the fab "Good Old Days."

The Libertines occasionally obscured the melodies and clever lyrics found in abundance on the group's splashy debut CD, also titled "Up the Bracket." But at several points the band managed to be both precious and raucous; "Don't Look Back Into the Sun" and "Boys in the Band" had fans tapping their toes on one verse, then slam-dancing into the strangers beside them the next. Powell's pounding on the encore of "What a Waster," which recalled the thrashiest Jam, provoked only the slamming.

-- Dave McKenna