Author Topic: brian wilson 10/10 in dc  (Read 3033 times)

Epstein

• http://www.hit-dat.com
brian wilson 10/10 in dc
« on: August 19, 2004, 08:31:00 pm »
has this been mentioned, this is going to be show of the year, hes doing all of smile

its at the warner theater
Kill the sound: <A HREF="Http://www.hit-dat.com" TARGET=_blank>http://Http://www.hit-dat.com[/url]

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: brian wilson 10/10 in dc
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 08:35:00 pm »
I think it has...I'm there.  Although I'm probably more excited to see Love and the Zombies next month at State Theater.

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 08:52:00 am »
Is he still all retarded and shit, from the drugs?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 08:59:00 am »
why don't you go and findout for yourself...
T.Rex

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 09:04:00 am »
not for $50 or whatever the price is. I can get tickets to 3 shows in Sept. by artists who are still in their prime, for that price.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 09:20:00 am »
did you write a keyboard macro which posts your predictable responses?  and here i thought you would take one for the team and findout for the rest of us...
T.Rex

mankie

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 09:23:00 am »
I saw him perform live once on some tv show....his zipper was down, shoelace undone and forgot the lines to his song.

Have you ever blushed you were so embarrassed for another person? Well it happened to me that day. It was so pathetic I pitied him.

eros

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2004, 09:27:00 am »
Let me start by saying that I think Brian Wilson is a musical/production genius....
 ...but do people not hear his "affliction" when they listen to his newer records or see him live?

Does he get all this good press because he has overcome so much?
ʎɐʍou

joz

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2004, 10:00:00 am »
i am so bummed that i'll be out of town for this show.  guess i'll have to settle for listening to the smile recording when it's finally released, or schlep my ass up to nyc for the show there.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2004, 10:01:00 am »
Originally posted by eros:
  Let me start by saying that I think Brian Wilson is a musical/production genius....
 ...but do people not hear his "affliction" when they listen to his newer records or see him live?

Does he get all this good press because he has overcome so much?
You know I'm really not too sure.  I'm a huge huge fan and obviously I know that he's not quite right.  His voice is shot and he's a little loopy to say the least.  Hell...he was a little loopy starting in about 65 or 66.  I think it was around '66 that he stopped touring with the band cuz it was just too hard on him, besides that fact he was just happier staying home and writing.

Smile is perhaps the greatest album that never was, if that makes any sense.  I know I had planned on seeing the show just because for me, personally, it would be a landmark event much in the same way as the Arthur Lee and Love show was a while back.  As it turns out I can't go to the show (I was just entering in my cc info on ticketmaster 5 minutes ago and realized I'll be out of town on the 10th) so that's too bad.  Anyhow, that's my $.02.

For those that want to know more about the strange trip that is the life of Brian Wilson there's a great collection of writings by Nick Kent - he's a fairly famous English rock journalist - called The Dark Stuff.  It's got chapters on Brian Wilson, Shane McGowan, Neil Young, Miles Davis, Sid Vicious, Syd Barret and others.  The Brian Wilson chapter is the best portrait of tortured genious or rock and roll that i've ever read.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2004, 10:02:00 am »
he gets good press for performances of the older stuff because someone has had the good sense to hire top notch musicians to perform with brian.  from what i've heard brian sort of functions as the "conductor".  it's a bit like seeing a tribute act with the person being on hand.
T.Rex

redsock

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2004, 10:43:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  did you write a keyboard macro which posts your predictable responses?
Hilarious!!

And doesn't Van Dyke Parks sing on most of the songs?