Author Topic: Death Cab for Phil Collins?  (Read 4611 times)

vansmack

Re: Death Cab for Phil Collins?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2004, 05:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  How long before Ben Gibbard is the newest "artist most hated by the hipsters"?
I don't know, but he is certainly getting around. He's currently working with CEX (he's a rapper for those of you that don't know) on his next album.

At this rate, he may keep himself just diverse enough to make it alright for hipsters, but he is in danger of over exposure.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2004, 11:06:00 pm »
This may be somewhere else on the board, but for the record:

Indie Acts Settle Down In 'Wicker Park'

The Postal Service, the Shins, the Stills and Death Cab For Cutie have donated unreleased and rare tracks for the soundtrack to "Wicker Park," due Aug. 24 via Lakeshore Records. The first single will be the Postal Service's cover of Phil Collins' 1984 No. 1 pop hit "Against All Odds."

Lifehouse's contribution, "Everybody Is Somebody," was written specifically for the film, which opens Sept. 3 in U.S. theaters. "It comes from the perspective of Rose Byrne's character, Alex, who's caught up in her desperate passion for, and manipulation of, Josh Hartnett's character, Matt," says Lakeshore GM Brian McNelis. "When you hear the song, it's like you're inside her head."

The Shins offer the rare B-side "When I Goosestep," while Death Cab For Cutie contributes an acoustic rendition of "A Movie Script Ending" from its 2002 release "The Photo Album." Other artists who have previously released tracks on the album include Snow Patrol, Broken Social Scene, Mazzy Star, Stereophonics, Mum, +/-, Mogwai and Aqualung.

"Wicker Park" is rounded out by a cover of Coldplay's "The Scientist" by Concrete Blonde's Johnette Napolitano in tandem with multi-instrumentalist Danny Lohner.

"The film is an obsessive love story," McNellis says, "and the soundtrack absolutely captures that feeling -- when you listen to it, you're completely immersed in this very personal, wanting place."

Here is the "Wicker Park" track list:

"Maybe Tomorrow," Stereophonics
 "Everybody Is Somebody," Lifehouse
 "A Movie Script Ending" (acoustic), Death Cab For Cutie
 "How To Be Dead," Snow Patrol
 "Lover's Spit," Broken Social Scene
 "Retour a Vega," the Stills
 "Flowers in December," Mazzy Star
 "When the Day Is Done," the Legends
 "When I Goosestep," the Shins
 "Light Switch," Jaime Wyatt
 "These Days," Mates Of State
 "All I Do," +/-
 "We Have a Map of the Piano," Mum
 "Against All Odds," Postal Service
 "Strange and Beautiful," Aqualung
 "I Know You Are But What Am I?," Mogwai
 "The Scientist," Johnette Napolitano and Danny Lohner
27>34

redsock

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2004, 06:37:00 pm »
I kinda like the postal service tune... but i loved the original. Pretty excited to hear Johnette's take on the Scientist.

ggw

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2004, 10:06:00 am »
They've been playing this on WOXY with alarming frequency.

I don't care if irony has been resurrected, this song sucks.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2004, 10:13:00 am »
yeah its horrid... expect lots of screaming teenagers at the next postal service show.   :eek:   the whole acoustic guitar with jam box beats is so eagle eyed cherry.
T.Rex

thirsty moore

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2004, 10:15:00 am »
I wonder what Eagle Eye's father thinks of his son's music.

Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
 the whole acoustic guitar with jam box beats is so eagle eyed cherry.