Author Topic: why can't I get a good review - L. Phair  (Read 6888 times)

markie

Re: why can't I get a good review - L. Phair
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2003, 04:23:00 pm »
me.

ggw

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2003, 04:29:00 pm »
Allow me to rephrase:

What professional in a nationally or regionally recognized published journal pens concert reviews that you find to be worthwhile?

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2003, 04:35:00 pm »
Any writer who pisses off more than five people on this board. He/she would thus be doing my job for me.

allmy$to930

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2003, 04:37:00 pm »
These "poor" reviews are not the result of lack of knowledge or poor writing.

Writing an objective review of anything is pretty much impossible. The only option would be to report what songs were played, what the artist was wearing, how many were in attendence, etc...

Do any of you think that you could write reviews that would not be consistantly trashed by this board and/or the general public?

markie

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2003, 04:40:00 pm »
other than being in the times, I dont see anything wrong with that review. Sure its negative, but I like its little quotes of what people were saying.

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2003, 04:42:00 pm »
how do you know those quotes weren't made up? They weren't attributed to anybody by name.

Originally posted by Anton Newcombe:
  other than being in the times, I dont see anything wrong with that review. Sure its negative, but I like its little quotes of what people were saying.

ggw

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2003, 04:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  how do you know those quotes weren't made up? They weren't attributed to anybody by name.

[/b]
As the old saying goes: "Nobody believes anything attributed to a government official, but readily accepts anything from an unnamed source."

markie

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2003, 04:49:00 pm »
 [QB] how do you know those quotes weren't made up? They weren't attributed to anybody by name.

It didnt really bother me if they were real or not, I think its a reasonable style to try and recreate the buzz of the crowd. Do you not love earwigging other peoples inane banter at shows? Imagine how cool it would be if someone listened in on your conversation and then asked your name,

Rhett Miller from DC said, "Insane clown posse were awesome, after seeing OK Go live a couple of times, well I thought no one could match that, But ICP really wore lots of make up."

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2003, 04:52:00 pm »
Sometimes they do quote and name the person in Post music stories. Then nine years later your friends google you and find out you used to follow Phish, and you forever lose whatever musical credibility you ever had.

[QB] how do you know those quotes weren't made up? They weren't attributed to anybody by name.

It didnt really bother me if they were real or not, I think its a reasonable style to try and recreate the buzz of the crowd. Do you not love earwigging other peoples inane banter at shows? Imagine how cool it would be if someone listened in on your conversation and then asked your name,

Rhett Miller from DC said, "Insane clown posse were awesome, after seeing OK Go live a couple of times, well I thought no one could match that, But ICP really wore lots of make up." [/b]

ggw

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2003, 05:00:00 pm »
  Sometimes they do quote and name the person in Post music stories. Then nine years later your friends google you and find out you used to follow Phish, and you forever lose whatever musical credibility you ever had.

Is this a confession?

Celeste

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2003, 05:06:00 pm »
I don't think the person you are referring to had any credibility to begin with!

ggw

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2003, 05:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by Celeste:

I don't think the person you are referring to had any credibility to begin with! [/b]
Is that a self-deprecating confession?

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2003, 05:08:00 pm »
No, my wife googled one of our friends and came up with aformentioned info yesterday. As the otherwise nice, though designated friend who talks throughout live shows, she doesn't carry music credibility anyway.

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Is this a confession? [/b]

Bags

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2003, 07:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by Guiny:
  Even though it was a short set i thought she was great, i'd like to see her again by herself and not with that geek Jason Mraz.......She can go ahead and wear that short lil skirt again also.    :D  
As I told the Times reporter, I didn't like the show as much as my friends Dave and Scott because I didn't want to nail her.  They sure as hell did.  More easily pleased in this case.

While I didn't hate the show, I was definitely disappointed.  As soon as the mix included tinkly little happy keyboard bells in The Divorce Song, I knew this was not going to be what I hoped.  

And 48 minutes, that is bullshit.  Plus, every break between songs was about Jason fucking Mraz (except for her one mention of the blackout and the Dandy Warhols).  Pissed me off; the folks there to see her did not give a SHIT about Mraz.  Man was he awful.

Bags

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2003, 07:32:00 pm »
  say what you like about the times......

I think the reviewer from the times wrote a better review than was found in the post. Its full of details, such as no encore, that are missing from the posts review. The absence of such details always makes me think the reviewer didnt go to the show or didnt stay till the end.
And the Times guy talked to a lot of fans and got a lot of perspectives, including those from me and my posse, who all disagreed on the show.  I believe the quote about just standing around might have been me.

That's why I read the Times; the reviewer told me the story would be in Tuesday.  That post review -- whew.  Even the guys with me who liked it didn't like it that much.