Author Topic: why can't I get a good review - L. Phair  (Read 6819 times)

Bags

Re: why can't I get a good review - L. Phair
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2003, 07:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  She was the middle act on a three act bill. Thus, technically she was one of the openers. Openers typically don't get an encore. Perhaps the Post reviewer saw no reason to comment on this, since it was not out of the norm. Perhaps the Times reviewer is not as familiar with rock show protocol and felt the need to comment on something that wasn't even relevant.

Originally posted by Anton Newcombe:
  say what you like about the times......

I think the reviewer from the times wrote a better review than was found in the post. Its full of details, such as no encore, that are missing from the posts review. The absence of such details always makes me think the reviewer didnt go to the show or didnt stay till the end.
[/b]
Nope, it was a double bill, she was not an opener.  There should have been an encore, or if not, then a show lasting at least more than an hour.  It was bullshit.  (Sorry, this one got my dander up.)

I think she has her kid on tour with her and wants to be offstage by 10:30.

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2003, 11:57:00 pm »
What's the difference if she plays 50 mins with no encore, or 40 mins with a 10 min encore? Encores ar a big farce anyway.

Originally posted by bags:

She was the middle act on a three act bill. Thus, technically she was one of the openers. Openers typically don't get an encore. Perhaps the Post reviewer saw no reason to comment on this, since it was not out of the norm. Perhaps the Times reviewer is not as familiar with rock show protocol and felt the need to comment on something that wasn't even relevant.

Originally posted by Anton Newcombe:
  say what you like about the times......

I think the reviewer from the times wrote a better review than was found in the post. Its full of details, such as no encore, that are missing from the posts review. The absence of such details always makes me think the reviewer didnt go to the show or didnt stay till the end.
[/b]
Nope, it was a double bill, she was not an opener.  There should have been an encore, or if not, then a show lasting at least more than an hour.  It was bullshit.  (Sorry, this one got my dander up.)

I think she has her kid on tour with her and wants to be offstage by 10:30. [/b]

Guiny

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2003, 09:08:00 am »
Well i dont know many songs from Liz Phair but i thought she did a great job, I dont think the Post guy coulda done a better job thats for sure. I didnt expect an encore cause she was the second act so i didnt need to whine about that. I believe her daughter was at the concert, during "Flower" she looked up there almost like "Why hasnt the nanny taken her out of here like i asked when this song came on"

Bags

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2003, 11:22:00 am »
Only problem is she has a son, not a daughter.  But somebody's daughter was up there!

I don't give a rat's ass about encores, but would like more than 50 minutes.  Again, this was a co-headliner show.  Or, it was supposed to be.

And we're screwed because it was her last show with Mraz.  I'll be interested to find out how her solo shows in other cities go.

Guiny

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2003, 01:14:00 pm »
How was Mraz? I left before he even came on......My guess is he sucked.

Bags

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2003, 01:46:00 pm »
ohmygod, this Jason Mraz fellow sucked, badly.  (Compared to sucking well, which I might say Phair did, both because I didn't hate her show and it feeds into her whole sexual thing, you know).

He had a big audience of folks who probably also saw Counting Crows on Friday.  They sang along to all of it (or what I saw, which was snippets as I popped up from the Back Bar to see what it was all about).  It's adult-oriented 'rock.'  

From AMG:

Jason Mraz's Waiting for My Rocket to Come is a two-part invention. The first level is that of a young, almost compelling, singer/songwriter. Mraz has a nice voice, perhaps a little too articulated at times, which manages to mostly avoid the histrionic despite a predilection towards show tuney melodic turns. His voice tumbles out on top of folk-reggae rhythms that will probably sound a bit dated with time, but his vocals are filled with enough internal rhythms and rhymes to keep them interesting. Lyrically, Mraz relies on cliché to a certain degree, but does so with an earnestness that allows for believability and an eye for imagery that succeeds often enough to suggest that he knows what he's doing. The second level of Waiting for My Rocket to Come is the production of John Alagía, whose work has enhanced other similar folk-pop fair, including the Dave Matthews Band and O.A.R. His work with Mraz is, at its best, transparent, filling out the songs with subtle and glossy production and instrumentation. Reflections of banjos, organs, mellotrons, lap steels, ukuleles, and others peak out through the shine of the tunes, creating an impact too rich to be written off as lite. â?? Jesse Jarnow

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2003, 01:48:00 pm »
Has "folk pop" been elavated to the same level of revulsion as "emo" yet?

ggw

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2003, 02:17:00 pm »
  Has "folk pop" been elavated to the same level of revulsion as "emo" yet?
*insert compulsory alt.country joke here*