Author Topic: Jealous of KROQ  (Read 2080 times)

sonickteam2

Jealous of KROQ
« on: August 19, 2003, 11:03:00 am »
was just reading about thier Inland Invasion

man...  http://www.kroq.com/kroqnow/kroqnow.html

The Cure
 Duran Duran
 Violent Femmes
 Echo & The Bunnymen
 Psychedelic Furs
 Dashboard Confessional
 Hot Hot Heat
 Interpol
 Bow Wow Wow
 General Public
 Marc Almond
 Fountains Of Wayne
 Berlin
 Dramarama
 Flock Of Seagulls (i think)

pretty crazy...

Re: Jealous of KROQ
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2003, 11:07:00 am »
Mankie is sooooo there. Most of the bands are washed up 80's bands that he would enjoy, the rest of the bands are current bands that would appeal mainly to teenagers (ie his daughter)!!!

Metal Meltdown

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2003, 11:17:00 am »
this is why California rules, even if they are going to have a bodybuilder as governor  :D  ..I dont even like most of those bands..but it seems like promoters out there work hard to get big shows like this. I just got back from Hootenanny a while back and cant imagine ever getting to see The Stray Cats, Nekromantix, Social Distortion, Blasters, John Doe, Little Richard, and Dave Vanian on a bill together. All we get in DC is the HFS-tival..ugh!

sonickteam2

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2003, 11:30:00 am »
i agree, DC gets crap.  I am not into the 80s bands all that much, but they got a lot of big names as fas as that goes.  
   they have Coachella too  :)

lucky bitches.

Guiny

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2003, 11:52:00 am »
and if we do get anything good its at Nissan on Merriweather where the shows suck.

mjnova

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2003, 03:22:00 pm »
I think the one advantage of living in DC that combination of being a big market and people having crap taste is that you don't get as many sell outs as you would in a real city ie LA/NYC/Chicago.  Except for those Modest Mouse shows a couple of years ago.  How the hell did that happen?

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2003, 03:25:00 pm »
You're right, unless something gets a big writeup in the Post weekend section, or the City Paper. Then people are all over it.

Originally posted by mjnova:
  I think the one advantage of living in DC that combination of being a big market and people having crap taste is that you don't get as many sell outs as you would in a real city ie LA/NYC/Chicago.  Except for those Modest Mouse shows a couple of years ago.  How the hell did that happen?

myuman

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2003, 03:38:00 pm »
  I think the one advantage of living in DC that combination of being a big market and people having crap taste is that you don't get as many sell outs as you would in a real city ie LA/NYC/Chicago.
This is unfortunately very true.  If you love music, hockey, and soccer (ok, so these are MY interests), this place is a gold mine. Hockey: sure the craps stink, but I see players and teams that require top dollar to see in NY, Phila, Detroit, Denver, Dallas, etc.  Soccer:  Nothing like sitting in a huge stadium with 10,000 other people watching soccer in a country that will win the World Cup in the future before England does.  And of course our beloved Music:  We see shows by bands like Sigur ros, Libertines, Interpol, (drawing a blank here), etc. that sell out quickly in some markets, but since we live in a large market on the I-95 coridor.... bingo, it's pretty much an untapped market for most musicians.

mjnova

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2003, 04:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by myuman:

I think the one advantage of living in DC that combination of being a big market and people having crap taste is that you don't get as many sell outs as you would in a real city ie LA/NYC/Chicago.
This is unfortunately very true.  If you love music, hockey, and soccer (ok, so these are MY interests), this place is a gold mine. Hockey: sure the craps stink, but I see players and teams that require top dollar to see in NY, Phila, Detroit, Denver, Dallas, etc.  Soccer:  Nothing like sitting in a huge stadium with 10,000 other people watching soccer in a country that will win the World Cup in the future before England does.  And of course our beloved Music:  We see shows by bands like Sigur ros, Libertines, Interpol, (drawing a blank here), etc. that sell out quickly in some markets, but since we live in a large market on the I-95 coridor.... bingo, it's pretty much an untapped market for most musicians. [/b]
Agreed on the futbol.  DC United are turning it around, and lest folks forget, we had the best club team in the Western Hemisphere for a little while there.  And as long as MLS stays alive for a while longer, I honestly believe USA will be in the World Cup finals (the actual game) in 2010.  Possibly the main reason I don't want to leave DC is because we really do get damn near every concert and at two intimate, excellent clubs no less.  

I think we could use better record stores, but the drive to Soundgarden isn't too far and CDepot is pretty decent.