Author Topic: 2008 Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame Nominees  (Read 10621 times)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
2008 Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame Nominees
« on: September 28, 2007, 07:14:00 am »
I know we do this every year, but this years lot seems even more pathetic than normal:

Madonna
 Beastie Boys
 Dave Clark Five
 Leonard Cohen
 Afrika Bambaataa
 John Mellencamp
 the Ventures
 Donna Summer
 Chic

Ughh.

Re: 2008 Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame Nominees
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 09:18:00 am »
The Beastie Boys?

Man, they're scraping the bottom on the barrel.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 09:30:00 am »
I think "Hall(s) of Fame" are stupid and pointless but if the "classic rock" contigent bleat on about rap not "belonging" in the RnR HOF then they'd have to protest Ms. Ciccone as well.  She's been a LOT of things.  I don't think "rock" was one of them.  Actually, The Beasties Boys (for all intents and purposes, a rap act) were more hardcore punk in the beginning.  They'd probably qualify more.

Is there a good list of people who AREN'T in the Hall of Fame but people feel SHOULD be?  Where's Duran Duran?  They're eligable aren't they?  Maybe this is the year Kiss gets in.

Brian

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 09:37:00 am »
Originally posted by Brian Wallace:
  Is there a good list of people who AREN'T in the Hall of Fame but people feel SHOULD be?  Where's Duran Duran?  They're eligable aren't they?  Maybe this is the year Kiss gets in.

Brian
Brian- this might help.

50 cent has a good chance in 2024, start planning your vacation around the induction ceremony.
xoxo

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 09:40:00 am »
Originally posted by chaz:
  I know we do this every year, but this years lot seems even more pathetic than normal:

Madonna
 Beastie Boys
 Dave Clark Five
 Leonard Cohen
 Afrika Bambaataa
 John Mellencamp
 the Ventures
 Donna Summer
 Chic

Ughh.
My vote is for Madonna, Beasties, Leonard Cohen, John Mellencamp, and Afrika Bambaataa.

Looks good to me.
Woof.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 09:49:00 am »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  The Beastie Boys?

Guess you haven't heard Paul's Boutique" then? Dismiss all you want but the Beasties Boys, were up until recently, ahead of the curve.  "Sabotage" ranks up there as one of the best rock songs ever written!
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 09:52:00 am »
I would have to say that the Dave Clark Five are a bit past their sell by date at this point...
T.Rex

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 09:56:00 am »
I think, if anything, hall of fames ought to be overly picky about who they take. Surely the Beastie Boys would make the all-star team for a couple of years, but they're not in the same league as the all time greats. Why don't we put Moises Alou and Mike Mussina in the Hall of Fame while we're at it.

Originally posted by kosmo:

Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  The Beastie Boys?

Guess you haven't heard Paul's Boutique" then? Dismiss all you want but the Beasties Boys, were up until recently, ahead of the curve.  "Sabotage" ranks up there as one of the best rock songs ever written! [/b]

distance

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 10:10:00 am »
i fucking hate madonna.

i would never go to the rock & roll hall of fame, though and i think the whole thing is worthless.
 it would be even more worthless if madonna got in.

K8teebug

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 10:19:00 am »
I love the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  The Hall of Fame part is lame, but the rest of the place is pretty neat.  It's a hell of alot better than the Experience Music Project.  I love all the letters and interesting memorbilia they have gathered there.

I think it also depends on the exhibits...I've seen the Psychadelic one (my favorite), John lennon, the stage costumes, and this year, the Clash and the Doors.  Not much of a Doors fan though...

We go there on the way home from Cedar Point.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 10:27:00 am »
To be honest, though I respect a few of these artists, i don't really dont think most of them are worthy.

Never liked the beasties.  Paul's boutique was so overplayed the year it came out i wanted to kill myself.  Though I can't deny how much they mean to many people who have generally good taste in music, despite minor transgressions like the beasties  ;)  

John Couger Mellancamp?  C'mon, did he ever top Jack and Diane (which seems more like a novelty song from 5th grade)?

Madonna...don't get me started.  I think she's talented, but I'm not sure how much of that talent is actual musical talent.

Leonard Cohen, I think I can get with this one.

I'll claim mostly ignorance on Afrika Bambaataa, all I know is he played a big part in early hip hop.

The Ventures, pleasent, somewhat pioneering but not hall worthy imho.

Donner Summer and Chic - I think I'm going to vomit.

For once I agreed with Brian.  This R n' R Hall of Fame is stupid and inherently flawed.

distance

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 10:29:00 am »
Originally posted by K8teebug:
  I love the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  The Hall of Fame part is lame, but the rest of the place is pretty neat.
nothing wrong with a music-related museum, but the HOF part is stupid.  i won't go there because of that.  i've seen the building before.  that's going to be the extent of it.

Samantha

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 10:36:00 am »
I don't understand why Leonard Cohen wasn't inducted already...?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 10:44:00 am »

Never liked the beasties.  Paul's boutique was so overplayed the year it came out i wanted to kill myself.  Though I can't deny how much they mean to many people who have generally good taste in music, despite minor transgressions like the beasties   ;)    

Really?  I thought PB received a huge WTF when it came out because it was Licensed To Ill Part II. Even I admit to not listening to it much when it first came out because it wasn't what I was expecting.  That attitude has changed over the years.

And don't dismiss the influence Chic had on many artists following in their wake...
T.Rex

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 10:50:00 am »
  Donner Summer and Chic - I think I'm going to vomit.
Donna Summer was more involved in the writing of her music than you probably think. 1977's "I Feel Love" changed the pop soundscape overnight.

Chic had the tightest rhythm section of the late 70s/early 80s. The Sugarhill Gang's seminal rap single "Rapper's Delight" used "Good Times" as its rhythm bed.

And Afrika Bambaataa practically invented hip-hop. Denying him HOF entry would be like refusing Chuck Berry.