Author Topic: weird shit you think only you do/did  (Read 20549 times)

nkotb

Re: weird shit you think only you do/did
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2007, 03:12:00 pm »
Odd...I spent my entire life doing this and getting mocked by friends for it, and in the past week I find I have a kindered spirit in P Harmony and my new boss.  VINDICATION!!!!

Originally posted by P Harmony:
  I like to order last at a restaurant because I hate ordering what someone at my table has ordered as well.

tigersscareme

« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2007, 03:26:00 pm »
 If I'm at a used cd store and find a copy of a great cd that I already have, I'll move it to the front of the display case, hoping somebody sees it and gives it a good home.
bombaychutney! I'm on to you....

also, as for brian wallace, i am neither respectful nor organized.

vansmack

« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2007, 03:30:00 pm »
  I get lots of comments from friends on this and often have friends sneakily change their order behind my back to what I got to spite me. They're nice people...
I would absolutely change my mind just to see what effect it has on you.
27>34

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2007, 04:14:00 pm »
  I like to order last at a restaurant because I hate ordering what someone at my table has ordered as well. Ordering last allows me to check things off the list. I have even changed my order if someone orders the same thing as me at the table.

I guess it all comes from my family and I group ordering so we could try many different things on the menu so no one ordered the same thing.

I get lots of comments from friends on this and often have friends sneakily change their order behind my back to what I got to spite me. They're nice people...
sal - this made me think of you. esp when we changed our orders after you ordered to the same thing. it was late - so we had good reason - it could be cooked quickest. but i dont know if this is a pet peeve of yours.
HeyLa

kmb187

« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2007, 05:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by nkotb:
 I also have a weird ordering compulsion.  Aside from just alphabetical and numerical ordering, I have to have things lined up on my desk or table.  For example, at dinner, I'll make sure my knives and forks are lined up with the plate or placemat, and also that the cup is centered or lined up with any patterns on the table cloth, etc.

And at stores, while taking the item not immediately on the front of the shelves, I will pull the remaining items behind it forward.  Must be my Target team member training.
I'm with you on the first part. Do you also insist on things on desks, etc. being arranged parallel to the edge?

And the Target part made me laugh, as well; I occasionally get the urge to finger-space my closet.

SalParadise

« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2007, 09:15:00 am »
Originally posted by xneverwherex:

I like to order last at a restaurant because I hate ordering what someone at my table has ordered as well. Ordering last allows me to check things off the list. I have even changed my order if someone orders the same thing as me at the table.

I guess it all comes from my family and I group ordering so we could try many different things on the menu so no one ordered the same thing.

sal - this made me think of you. esp when we changed our orders after you ordered to the same thing. it was late - so we had good reason - it could be cooked quickest. but i dont know if this is a pet peeve of yours. [/b]
not at all. i've actually never heard of that?

here's another good one of mine: i buy the monthly unlimited metrocard (good for 30 days). but i have to buy it on the 1st of the month. so i carry around an extra metrocard with maybe $10 for months with 31 days. i use that one on the 31st's.. then rebuy the unlimited on the 1st. i go into convulsions in late february.

nkotb

« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2007, 09:20:00 am »
More or less, but my new desk is an odd shape, so it's driving me a bit made.  I'm just doing my best to center things on the curves rather than to the edges.

Finger-spacing?  Shoot, I was hardlines, kid.  We didn't venture into that softlines shit.  

A male co-worker of mine worked in softlines, which of course opened the door for much ribbing.  One day, as he walked into the breakroom, we mocked the purse he was carrying, saying that softlines had turned him into a dandy.  Turns out it was his insulin carrying case.  Oops.

Originally posted by kmb187:
 I'm with you on the first part. Do you also insist on things on desks, etc. being arranged parallel to the edge?

And the Target part made me laugh, as well; I occasionally get the urge to finger-space my closet.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2007, 09:26:00 am »
I have a question for you food freaks who don't let it touch the other food.

HOW IN GOD'S NAME DO YOU EAT PIZZA, CHILI, SANDWICHES, SOUP, STEW, SALAD, CHINESE FOOD, INDIAN FOOD, THAI FOOD, ITALIAN FOOD ETC.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2007, 01:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by Roadbike Mankie:
  I have a question for you food freaks who don't let it touch the other food.

HOW IN GOD'S NAME DO YOU EAT PIZZA, CHILI, SANDWICHES, SOUP, STEW, SALAD, CHINESE FOOD, INDIAN FOOD, THAI FOOD, ITALIAN FOOD ETC.
please tell me where the side dish shows up. . .i don't deconstruct my food, i just don't like my entree touching the rest of the food on the plate.
OU812

Samantha

« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2007, 01:05:00 pm »
I think the whole thing with touching foods is: "Some tastes belong together, some do not."

perhaps they just don't like the taste combination that certain things make together.  this is not weird, they just have different taste buds.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2007, 01:20:00 pm »
You're hardly going to get taste transfer if  your peas brush your pork chop, so I'm not buying that one.

Last night I did some tuna steak topped it with grated ginger on the grill. We also had mashed potatoes, grilled tomatoes and baked beans. I got a little bit of tuna, put some mash, a bit of tomatoe and scooped up some beans on my fork.

mmmmmmmmm, mmmmmmmm, good eat'n!!!

Would that have grossed you lot out?

BTW, I'm not taking the piss, just intrigued by this, 'issue'.

Samantha

« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2007, 01:24:00 pm »
well that part is just being over zealous.

I always eat corn & mashed potatoes together, all mixed up.  I can't eat one without the other.

so I don't have that problem, I'm just sayin...

Venerable Bede

« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2007, 01:38:00 pm »
i wouldn't have grossed me out. . .for me it's not about taste, it's about order (although i do prefer letting food stand on their own- which is why i tend to avoid sauces and dressings, but i will marinate or add rubs, because i want the thing to be flavored, not have something put on top to add to the flavor).  i eat the entree first; when i'm done with the entree, i move on to one of the sides, when i'm done with that one, i move to the next side dish and so forth.  i know having the food touch each other won't influence the taste (depending on the food), but it's just messy and not in order.  i know, it's weird.  when i make dinners for friends, i do all this great looking plating and presentation for everyone, and when i sit down to eat what i plated, i tend to take it apart and eat it one at a time.  i'm well aware that it makes no sense, but i do it anyway.

believe me, i have my own internal inconsistencies about food.  i just sent out an email about a study being done by a professor at duke is looking into how our expectations of what we think something will taste like over-influences what something will actually taste like.  when at the same time, i have my own food dislikes and wonder if i'm guilty of doing the same thing, when i am critical of people for avoiding food because of what they think something will taste like.
OU812

kmb187

« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2007, 01:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by nkotb:
 Finger-spacing?  Shoot, I was hardlines, kid.  We didn't venture into that softlines shit.  

A male co-worker of mine worked in softlines, which of course opened the door for much ribbing.  One day, as he walked into the breakroom, we mocked the purse he was carrying, saying that softlines had turned him into a dandy.  Turns out it was his insulin carrying case.  Oops.
I was technically a cashier, but had to work floor on occasion. I don't think there was this whole hardlines superiority at my store, though. Or maybe I was just oblivious; the most memorable thing about Target was honestly that horribly long fish market training video. That's how much I enjoyed working there.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2007, 02:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
  believe me, i have my own internal inconsistencies about food.  i just sent out an email about a study being done by a professor at duke is looking into how our expectations of what we think something will taste like over-influences what something will actually taste like.  when at the same time, i have my own food dislikes and wonder if i'm guilty of doing the same thing, when i am critical of people for avoiding food because of what they think something will taste like.
My wife is guilty of this too - she alleges she doesn't like tuna but loves swordfish! They're so similar I found it hard to believe you can have such differing opinions of two things that really are quite alike. After a little deeper probing it turns out she doesn't like tuna because of the way it looks before you cook it, (red) it has nothing to do with the taste.