Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3244197 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #7560 on: October 26, 2016, 01:34:46 pm »
May resort to that. Struck out in McLean at lunch.

That's weird. Their website says they have it at TW McLean. Did you ask at the front desk?

Firsthand reports on Beer Advocate forum of it being at TW Ballston (today) and TW Springfield (yesterday).

Website also says TW Chanittly and Alexandria have it.

Also, Whole Foods Fair Lakes said they got it today, on their FB page.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #7561 on: October 26, 2016, 03:03:45 pm »
Yup. Weird. Didn't ask as I've never heard of it being kept back there.

Yada: I know McGruders doesn't have it yet. Will head to the other local shops tomorrow.

Thanks for the tips, guys.

walkie,talkie

« Reply #7562 on: October 26, 2016, 03:58:33 pm »
Just, the tip.

Yada

« Reply #7563 on: October 26, 2016, 05:08:31 pm »
maybe this will sway hutchess from drinking that spider pooh causing beer.

http://www.phillyvoice.com/beer-drinkers-disavow-yuengling-after-owner-shows-support-for-trump/

« Reply #7564 on: October 26, 2016, 05:36:35 pm »
^the owner is a dick
slack

walkie,talkie

« Reply #7565 on: October 26, 2016, 07:07:40 pm »
I'm sorry, I got greedy.  I mean, shit, it only comes out once a year.

I went back and got more backwoods bastard

plus

Avery   Botanicals and Barrels   Raspberry Sour

Wicked  Weed    Montmaretto

ok . . . now school me on storing, or drinking now / sharing with friends, of those two bombers?

hutch

« Reply #7566 on: October 26, 2016, 07:12:06 pm »
maybe this will sway hutchess from drinking that spider pooh causing beer.

http://www.phillyvoice.com/beer-drinkers-disavow-yuengling-after-owner-shows-support-for-trump/

OH NO FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NOT YUENGLING..PLEASE.... YOU TAKE AWAY MY CHICK FIL A NUGGETS AND WAFFLE FRIES AND NOW THIS! HOW IS A MAN WHO CALLS HIMSELF A MAN SUPPOSED TO GET BY?

actually the truth is I won't drink Yuengling much cause of this news.... thanks for posting Yada...I had no idea...

walkie,talkie

« Reply #7567 on: October 26, 2016, 07:18:51 pm »
I know I am a fag, and I should hate them, because they hate me . . . but mother fucker, those waffle fries and chicken nuggets and lemonade, from chick fil a, are so damn good!

Space Freely

« Reply #7568 on: October 26, 2016, 07:24:01 pm »
I'm sorry, I got greedy.  I mean, shit, it only comes out once a year.

I went back and got more backwoods bastard

plus

Avery   Botanicals and Barrels   Raspberry Sour

Wicked  Weed    Montmaretto

ok . . . now school me on storing, or drinking now / sharing with friends, of those two bombers?

That Avery Sour is damn tasty. I just had one that was a year old and it was perfect. Reminds me that I need to pick up another.

medeski7

« Reply #7569 on: October 27, 2016, 10:09:55 am »
I'm hearing tons of positive stuff about Lagunitas Born Yesterday.  I'm really digging the NE style IPA thing going on.  I'm told Born Yesterday really scratches that itch.  Just picked some up and looking forward to it. 

If you're not a big Arrogant Bastard or Double Bastard fan is Backwoods Bastard worth looking into?

Bagley

« Reply #7570 on: October 27, 2016, 10:10:36 am »
Can someone explain, in layman's terms please, what a Grisette style is like?  Comparisons, recommendations, etc

Space Freely

« Reply #7571 on: October 27, 2016, 10:26:25 am »
I'm hearing tons of positive stuff about Lagunitas Born Yesterday.  I'm really digging the NE style IPA thing going on.  I'm told Born Yesterday really scratches that itch.  Just picked some up and looking forward to it. 

If you're not a big Arrogant Bastard or Double Bastard fan is Backwoods Bastard worth looking into?

Stone makes Arrogant Bastard, Double Bastard, and Lucky Bastard.

Founders makes Backwoods Bastard and Dirty Bastard.

The only similarities are their names.

The Stone Bastards are more hoppy. I'm a big fan of Double, but have never like Arrogant and don't even remember Lucky.

The Founders Bastards are more malty, as they are Scotch Ales. Backwoods is bourbon aged with a high ABV, so that's why everyone creams their pants for it.

So to answer your question..if you don't care for the Stone beers, it shouldn't have any bearing on whether you look into Backwoods. The question is, do you like the more maltier styles of beer?

Space Freely

« Reply #7572 on: October 27, 2016, 10:33:16 am »
Can someone explain, in layman's terms please, what a Grisette style is like?  Comparisons, recommendations, etc

Ok, I'm copying this from the internet, but see below. When I think of grisette, I think something in the range of a saison, but a bit more boring. Pleasant, but boring (maybe subtle is a nicer word to use) compared to a hoppy IPA. To me, it's analogous to a white table wine. Goes good with food but not all that exciting. Manor Hill (MD) and Sly Fox (PA) make good grisettes.

Grisette actually originated in French Wallonia specifically in the Hainut province of southern Belgium. It was mostly regarded as a working class beer of the "miner's or factory workers" in the region much like saison was considered a "farmers" beer in the north. Grisette's were typically "low-alcohol, light bodied, saison-like golden ales of no great distinction" according to Phil Markowski in his Farmhouse Ales book.

COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION
The Grisette is an old working class Belgian Farmhouse style that is typically brewed with wheat. This take on the classic style is a very light and sessionable farmhouse ale with subtle citrus flavor. A fluffy white head crowns this straw colored brew. Aromas of tropical fruit and grass come through on the nose. The flavor profile is dominated by citrus and slight bitter hops with a dry finish.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7573 on: October 27, 2016, 10:59:59 am »

think of grisette as a session saison. 
<sig>

Bagley

« Reply #7574 on: October 27, 2016, 11:34:00 am »
Thanks for the feedback folks.  Just as long as there's no clove presence,  I'll give it a try.