Author Topic: Predict date Dow Jones 📈 hits 40,000!  (Read 6826 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: Predict date Dow Jones 📈 hits 40,000!
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2024, 02:18:43 pm »
Let's predict the day Hutch becomes/became a 401K millionaire.

Are we not all in that club?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2024, 02:20:07 pm »
I mean, you do know how many people died of COVID under Biden, right?

more than under trump (~600k vs 400k), however:
1) trump's admin had 10 months of pandemic, biden's admin covered 28 months. the first graph in this article shows that the deaths were not front-loaded.
2) biden inherited a mess and immediately set about improving the situation thus there is no concept of "excess deaths" associated with biden's response. 

the criticism here isn't that some americans died under trump - that was inevitable, unfortunately - it's that 180,000 more people died that would otherwise be expected, primarily due to trump's policies and statements (i.e., because of trump).  dunno about you, but having 180k people die because a leader prioritized his image and reelection campaign over the lives of civilians skirts awfully close to genocide territory.

anyhoo, i think we can agree that in november, we'll have a choice between two old men who are willing to put political considerations above the lives of civilians. 
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2024, 03:01:12 pm »
Let's predict the day Hutch becomes/became a 401K millionaire.

Are we not all in that club?

I bet not.

nkotb

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2024, 05:25:42 pm »
Biden oversaw more deaths from COVID and the the worst, most deadly spike a year into his presidency...i don't think you can chalk that up to "oh he's still dealing with a mess".  If you're going to say Trump's policies were responsible for 180,000 deaths (and they were), can you can't say Biden's policies didn't do the same.

Look, Trump...disgusting, evil piece of shit who should absolutely be put against the wall for his actual crimes.  And there are plenty of ways to convincingly point out that Biden is better (for example, he's got way less credible accusations of sexual misconduct!), but their handling of COVID ain't one.

I mean, you do know how many people died of COVID under Biden, right?

more than under trump (~600k vs 400k), however:
1) trump's admin had 10 months of pandemic, biden's admin covered 28 months. the first graph in this article shows that the deaths were not front-loaded.
2) biden inherited a mess and immediately set about improving the situation thus there is no concept of "excess deaths" associated with biden's response. 

the criticism here isn't that some americans died under trump - that was inevitable, unfortunately - it's that 180,000 more people died that would otherwise be expected, primarily due to trump's policies and statements (i.e., because of trump).  dunno about you, but having 180k people die because a leader prioritized his image and reelection campaign over the lives of civilians skirts awfully close to genocide territory.

anyhoo, i think we can agree that in november, we'll have a choice between two old men who are willing to put political considerations above the lives of civilians.

Hutch

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2024, 06:43:37 pm »
I think I said the same on here years ago. Nobody ever mentions it but more died from Covid under Biden. It’s just a fact.

And if you subscribe to the idea that the buck stops with the president not sure one can not lay it at Biden’s feet. Although it’s not clear to me he did anything wrong. He did what he was supposed to do: follow the advice of those that supposedly knew the most.

The truth is we will never know what we did wrong or who is to blame or even how it started or what China really knew early on. It’s just very complicated. It’s going to be like the great influenza: society will move on and there will be different theories about what happened.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 06:47:02 pm by Hutch »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2024, 08:44:59 pm »
Biden oversaw more deaths from COVID and the the worst, most deadly spike a year into his presidency...i don't think you can chalk that up to "oh he's still dealing with a mess".   

you missed my point: deaths were inevitable, for any president.  even with the perfect, science-based policies.  the question is, did a president's policies contribute additional deaths above and beyond what an adequate response would bring?  studies are conclusive: 180k more americans died under trump due to his mismanagement.  there simply isn't one for biden, but please let me know if you find one.

the "worst, most deadly spike a year into his presidency" was due to a new variant (delta) that was more virulent didn't respond to vaccination as well as previous variants.  same with the later omicron variant.  those aren't policy-related spikes.

biden did inherit a mess - and look at the curve for the first year of his presidency.  amazing what promoting & enhancing access to the vaccine can do (AKA policy decisions).  and i didn't say that the only reason was dealing with the inherited mess, please don't reduce my argument to just one point  :)

If you're going to say Trump's policies were responsible for 180,000 deaths (and they were), can you can't say Biden's policies didn't do the same.

yes one can.  trump policies directly resulted in additional death that could have been avoided.  he called for ignoring the issue and hoping it would just go away (despite being told that it wouldn't), putting off the shutdown as long as possible, promoting quackery like ivermectin, and casting doubt on the vaccine.  i will however give credit to trump for green-lighting project warp speed even though he didn't do anything with the resulting vaccine - he was too busy plotting his coup).  how you can say that they are both the same, and that the pandemic would have unfolded in the same way regardless of who was in the white house, is baffling.

And there are plenty of ways to convincingly point out that Biden is better (for example, he's got way less credible accusations of sexual misconduct!), but their handling of COVID ain't one.

strongly disagree.  you cannot paint their approaches to covid with the same brush.
<sig>

Hutch

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2024, 08:47:44 pm »
That’s bull Sweetcell. You can’t say those deaths were inevitable.

You could say there is no evidence they were preventable.

Not sure I agree with that though…

notme

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2024, 10:32:27 pm »
the market(s) are doing well bc they are pricing in a trump win in nov. at least that is what trump said.

Hutch

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2024, 11:26:37 pm »
Ha ha ha

😂

Hutch

« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2024, 04:45:57 pm »
We didn’t make it
Am deflated

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2024, 05:17:22 pm »
We didn’t make it
Am deflated

Things we also didn't do:

Start the Fire
Light it

nkotb

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2024, 07:37:50 pm »
Yes I can it's my brush

you cannot paint their approaches to covid with the same brush.