Author Topic: Maybe we should just elect Trump president  (Read 933913 times)

ggw

Re: Maybe we should just elect Trump president
« Reply #2835 on: February 07, 2017, 02:56:50 pm »
Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation

They've spent almost half a billion dollars promoting charter schools. 

hutch

« Reply #2836 on: February 07, 2017, 02:59:39 pm »
Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation

They've spent almost half a billion dollars promoting charter schools. 

is being for charter schools being against public education?

i dont' know.. i mean i'm for education and part of that must be public education..but that does not mean private schools should not exist or non-public schools should not exist...

i think we can and should have both

Space Freely

« Reply #2837 on: February 07, 2017, 03:07:04 pm »
Just what we need, more schools drilling religious hokum into kid's heads.

ggw

« Reply #2838 on: February 07, 2017, 03:15:53 pm »

The public education status quo powers (NEA, AFT, NWLC, etc...) generally hate charter schools and support them only when they are essentially "magnet" schools that have no discernible difference from public schools (same teachers, same administrators, same philosophies).

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2839 on: February 07, 2017, 03:17:28 pm »
I thought the plan was to pull money from public education funding and provide vouchers to rich people to offset the cost of private / charter schools.

hutch

« Reply #2840 on: February 07, 2017, 03:28:34 pm »

The public education status quo powers (NEA, AFT, NWLC, etc...) generally hate charter schools and support them only when they are essentially "magnet" schools that have no discernible difference from public schools (same teachers, same administrators, same philosophies).

I'm not pro NEA or any of those.. I'm pro education

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #2841 on: February 07, 2017, 03:36:45 pm »
Bobby's tone on this is just.... so insane. It's also sad how many "articles" are written for Fox News with THIS exact, sarcastic tone. I GET that they are biased, but geez...

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/01/13/bobby-jindal-trump-s-pick-for-education-secretary-wants-everyone-to-get-great-education-dems-hate-her-for-it.html
‼‼?‼‼

hutch

« Reply #2842 on: February 07, 2017, 03:49:03 pm »
Jindal is such a loser...but many of his points are fair I think...

my main issue with this devos woman is she knows nothing or cares nothing about public education so how can she be secretary of education? but at the same time i think we have to look seriously at vouchers, school choice.. all of it.. we cannot ask people to send their kids to failing schools because "hey they will fail even more without your kids!"... most people cannot just move and if they live in an area with bad schools what are they supposed to do??? I think we should give them the option of vouchers and if they feel they can do better outside the public school system that should be up to them... why should public schools have a monopoly on the money if they suck decade after decade?

i understand the argument that if you take money out of the public school system then it will suck even more...i get it.. but surely we can explore some ways of approaching this issue rather than insisting people send their children to crap schools??

i have not studied the dc public education but it seems to me things got a lot better after all the charter schools popped up?

like i said.. i don't know that much about the issue.. but on principle i feel every American should be entitled to the money corresponding to their child's cost of public education and if they can find a better way with that money they should have options.... maybe this should only be the case for failing schools?

hutch

« Reply #2843 on: February 07, 2017, 03:51:20 pm »
having said that my two kids go to school in Arlington.. public school.. and i cannot say enough good things about our experience... but Arlington is a very very expensive county to live in...so not really what I'm concerned with

Space Freely

« Reply #2844 on: February 07, 2017, 03:53:51 pm »
At least we can rest assured that there won't be any grizzlies in the classroom. Unless Bearman decides to become a teacher. Even then, Devos might not allow that.

hutch

« Reply #2845 on: February 07, 2017, 03:56:29 pm »
that brings up another point I have thought about..

Men should only be allowed in schools after EXTREME VETTING and background checks and all kinds of stuff.. there are just too many men that go into teaching because they like little boys and girls... its disgusting all the stories one reads...

Relaxer

« Reply #2846 on: February 07, 2017, 04:03:28 pm »
I have been extremely happy with the D.C. public elementary school that my kids went to. My older one now goes to a charter school downtown and is thriving. There's been a fair amount of attrition though because this charter school is extremely difficult. Ever since he started there (5th grade) he's had at least 2 hours of homework every night.

Even my young son has had at least an hour of homework a night ever since 1st grade.
oword

hutch

« Reply #2847 on: February 07, 2017, 04:06:29 pm »
Homework is for total LOSERS. I'm glad schools are eliminating it all across the country...

walkie,talkie

« Reply #2848 on: February 07, 2017, 06:47:34 pm »
wow, we have our own fake Donald trump.  I think they are good, if done correctly.

walkie,talkie