Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243886 times)

atomic

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #4650 on: June 18, 2014, 09:19:38 pm »
Drank 3 beers on Friday, 3 on Saturday, and 5 on Sunday.  I went into Max's on Saturday and they didn't have one beer that I wanted to try.  Walked a cross to some dump called Leadbetters and they had Paulander on tap.  Score. 

James Ford

« Reply #4651 on: June 19, 2014, 10:56:15 am »
So how is your "getting back into shape" plan going?

Drank 3 beers on Friday, 3 on Saturday, and 5 on Sunday.  I went into Max's on Saturday and they didn't have one beer that I wanted to try.  Walked a cross to some dump called Leadbetters and they had Paulander on tap.  Score. 

atomic

« Reply #4652 on: June 19, 2014, 11:03:17 am »

Good.  I have lost 15 pounds so far. Even with the beer and food frenzy of the weekend with  2 hours of raquetball and an hour and half of basketball and healthy lunches I am still down for the week.   How about you have you put on some muscle?

James Ford

« Reply #4653 on: June 19, 2014, 11:12:53 am »
Good, I reckon. Perhaps this should be in your fitness thread...

Back up to 11 mile runs on weekends. Run four days a week, bike the other three. Haven't lost any weight, but some would argue I don't need to.

I'm trying to drink more low-abv session IPA's and hefeweizens and less DIPA's, at least for the summer. Hoping to do enough hiking and running when on vacation in Colorado to counteract the multiple brewery visits. Though hiking with a seven year old means doing shorter hikes than I like...

Speaking of low abv session IPA's, anybody have a favorite? I've had Lagunitas, Stone, Founders, and Great Divide, and that's my order of preference.

And as far as hefe's go, Weistephaner is the best in the world. And six packs are cheap. I should be drinking more of that in the summer. DC Brau's hefe is pretty tasty too.

Good.  I have lost 15 pounds so far. Even with the beer and food frenzy of the weekend with  2 hours of raquetball and an hour and half of basketball and healthy lunches I am still down for the week.   How about you have you put on some muscle?

atomic

« Reply #4654 on: June 19, 2014, 11:18:07 am »
Good, I reckon. Perhaps this should be in your fitness thread...

Back up to 11 mile runs on weekends. Run four days a week, bike the other three. Haven't lost any weight, but some would argue I don't need to.

I'm trying to drink more low-abv session IPA's and hefeweizens and less DIPA's, at least for the summer. Hoping to do enough hiking and running when on vacation in Colorado to counteract the multiple brewery visits. Though hiking with a seven year old means doing shorter hikes than I like...

Speaking of low abv session IPA's, anybody have a favorite? I've had Lagunitas, Stone, Founders, and Great Divide, and that's my order of preference.

And as far as hefe's go, Weistephaner is the best in the world. And six packs are cheap. I should be drinking more of that in the summer. DC Brau's hefe is pretty tasty too.

I spent all the time I was in Germany and Austria drinking beer and I still lost weight.  All those castles have a lot of steps.   Plus hiking paths in the Alps burn off calories.

I thought you said you wanted to build up your core so you wouldn't get injured?  Maybe I was thinking of someone else. 

stevewizzle

« Reply #4655 on: June 19, 2014, 05:52:51 pm »
visiting chicago next week... three floyds is on the list, any other beer recommendations?

James Ford

« Reply #4656 on: June 19, 2014, 06:27:57 pm »
Ones that I've been to and can recommend:

Revolution Brewpub
Local Option
Half Acre tasting room
Hopleaf (don't let kids in so haven't been in a while)
whatever the nearest Binny's is (for bottles to take home, seek out Pipeworks)
and of course the aforementioned Three Floyds....try to go on off hours or you're going to be waiting awhile
also, near Three Floyds, One Trick Pony has a cool little tasting room with very good beer

Ones that I haven't been to but I'm sure they are good:

Lagunitas tasting room (just opened)
The Map Room (don't think they let kids in)

Not really a fan of the Goose Island brewpubs....

visiting chicago next week... three floyds is on the list, any other beer recommendations?

stevewizzle

« Reply #4657 on: June 19, 2014, 07:05:06 pm »
thanks JF! you just gave me more helpful information in one post than the past 20 minutes of reading the BA-great lakes subforum (okay, we get it, chicago is great).  revolution brewpub is a must, didn't realize half acre was chicago, and i was wondering whether or not we should stop at GI or not (it's most likely a no, but it's right next to wrigley...).

now, the harder question: anything i should be seeking out? revolutions barleywine is a must, but beyond that, no real ISO.

James Ford

« Reply #4658 on: June 19, 2014, 09:17:31 pm »
Check Three Floyds FB page to see their recent history of which day they release Zombie Dust. That's the day you want to be at Three Floyds, if you have a choice. *The seemed to release it on Thurs quite  bit in 2013.

Binny's has a very good website with updated inventory.

Pipeworks Citra was one of the best DIPA's I've ever had. All of their DIPA's get very high scores.

Half Acre Double Daisy Cutter if you can find it. Half Acre Heyoka is an excellent IPA, better than regular DAisy Cutter.

It looks like they currently have Surly Abrasive at Binny's Lincoln Park (that's the one i usually go to), and Surly Pentagram ($27/bomber) at Binnys South Loop.

Maybe something from Spiteful? Look them up.

Off Color Troublesome is a good cheap (in Chicago it's cheap) gose.

I myself would look to see what they have from Deschutes, but that's not an issuefor you...

thanks JF! you just gave me more helpful information in one post than the past 20 minutes of reading the BA-great lakes subforum (okay, we get it, chicago is great).  revolution brewpub is a must, didn't realize half acre was chicago, and i was wondering whether or not we should stop at GI or not (it's most likely a no, but it's right next to wrigley...).

now, the harder question: anything i should be seeking out? revolutions barleywine is a must, but beyond that, no real ISO.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 09:49:02 pm by James Ford »

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #4659 on: June 29, 2014, 05:20:27 pm »
dogfish head one hundred twenty minute is my favorite beer of all time, from all the time, by all of the time.  even though i dont really drink beer anymore, i walked into a local shoppe that sells good beer to get the garden tomatoes that they sell . . . and they had two four packs of said dogfish head beer, so i bought them.  ill keep them for years and have one every time i think life throws me a special occasion.  the end.

atomic

« Reply #4660 on: June 29, 2014, 08:01:39 pm »
dogfish head one hundred twenty minute is my favorite beer of all time, from all the time, by all of the time.  even though i dont really drink beer anymore, i walked into a local shoppe that sells good beer to get the garden tomatoes that they sell . . . and they had two four packs of said dogfish head beer, so i bought them.  ill keep them for years and have one every time i think life throws me a special occasion.  the end.

I don't consider that beer.  Beer is something you can have four or five of and not get messed up.  You drink 3 of those and you will be out of control.

James Ford

« Reply #4661 on: June 30, 2014, 07:50:29 am »
If there ever was a beer made for splitting with your partner, it's 120 Minutes. Unfortunately for my wife, I'm not a fan. I'd rather have a more balanced IPA/DIPA in the 7-9% range.

I bet aging them will improve the taste.

Yada

« Reply #4662 on: June 30, 2014, 11:44:43 am »
Does anyone know where I can pick up some Sculpin IPA cans in the District/MD?

stevewizzle

« Reply #4663 on: June 30, 2014, 12:12:42 pm »
chicago-area breweries, ranked:
1. revolution
2. goose island
3. half-acre
4. pipeworks
5. local option
6. three floyds

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4664 on: June 30, 2014, 12:18:49 pm »
You filthy degenerates heard of this Bell's planet line of IPAs they're rolling out over the next few years? I guess Mars is first and coming out soon/is already out? Is this worth tracking down. It has a pretty label (albeit not as pretty as Oberon) and is from Michigan.
LVMH