Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243802 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #6960 on: May 25, 2016, 01:50:12 pm »
Did Founders stop producing their Double Trouble?

it's not being made this year, at least: http://foundersbrewing.com/availability-calendar/

maybe next year?

That's disappointing.  Don't see an equivalent on that list.......

It's not the same style, but the Sumatra Imperial Brown that's out now is every bit as good. Currently the #1 brown ale on Beer Advocate.

Space Freely

« Reply #6961 on: May 25, 2016, 01:58:58 pm »
My daughter, in her mom's absence, begged me to go to happy hour yesterday. Who am I to refuse? We tried these beers, reviews are my daughter's:

Oxbow Loretta ( grisette from ME): "Too plain AND too bitter." (Is that even possible?)
Birrificio Del Ducato Beersel Mattina  (lambic/saison hybrid from Italy) "This one is very good."
Panil Barriquee' (Flanders Red Ale from Italy) "This one is very good."

Victory Brett Pils (pilsner with brett from PA, only had a taste) "That one is fine."

So verdict: She likes sours from Italy. She'll enjoy going there when she's 10 when we cash in our airline miles.

« Reply #6962 on: May 25, 2016, 02:49:21 pm »
i'm getting amped up for my annual beercation known as HomebrewCon, AKA the National Homebrewers Conference,
I'm really bummed that I can't do this (this year)
Is the mid Atlantic spot a rarity?
but if it is I'll be even sadder
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6963 on: May 25, 2016, 03:11:20 pm »
i'm getting amped up for my annual beercation known as HomebrewCon, AKA the National Homebrewers Conference,

the AHA has been alternating between east, midwest/central, and west.  so the next east coast NHC should be in 2019.  east can mean anywhere along the coast (and some ways inland, palces like pittsburgh and atlanta are considered "east").  in 2013 the conference was in philly, so 2019 could be nearby again (my money is on one of the carolinas) or it could be in florida or maine...

NHC locations are announced one year in advance, at that year's NHC.  in baltimore we're learn where the 2017 one will be.  so we won't know where the 2019 edition is until the 2018 west coast conference.
<sig>

« Reply #6964 on: May 25, 2016, 03:14:23 pm »

the AHA has been alternating between east, midwest/central, and west.  so the next east coast NHC should be in 2019.  east can mean anywhere along the coast (and some ways inland, palces like pittsburgh and atlanta are considered "east").  in 2013 the conference was in philly, so 2019 could be nearby again (my money is on one of the carolinas) or it could be in florida or maine...

NHC locations are announced one year in advance, at that year's NHC.  in baltimore we're learn where the 2017 one will be.  so we won't know where the 2019 edition is until the 2018 west coast conference.
they don't have single day passes either?
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6965 on: May 25, 2016, 04:46:09 pm »

never heard of them selling any before, so i fear the answer is nope.
<sig>

« Reply #6966 on: May 25, 2016, 04:48:05 pm »

never heard of them selling any before, so i fear the answer is nope.
makes sense...but worth asking
slack

« Reply #6967 on: May 25, 2016, 05:24:44 pm »
I think this was posted by space
but the savor churchkey events look nice

wicked weed's on tap 6/2
Never heard of their TBD offering...but they've got it on 12 taps  ;D

slack

Space Freely

« Reply #6968 on: May 26, 2016, 10:25:39 am »
Anybody been to Selin's Grove Brewpub in PA and have a review? Planning on hitting it for dinner as we drive up to the Southern Tier (the region, not the brewery) for the weekend.

Space Freely

« Reply #6969 on: May 26, 2016, 10:28:00 am »
I think this was posted by space
but the savor churchkey events look nice

wicked weed's on tap 6/2
Never heard of their TBD offering...but they've got it on 12 taps  ;D

I'll probably be there Friday for the Maine beers. And maybe Wednesday for a quick hit of Barrel Aged Darkness right when they open, before i have to dash home.

« Reply #6970 on: May 26, 2016, 11:54:44 am »
drive up to the Southern Tier (the region, not the brewery) for the weekend.
the brewery is pretty sweet, but if you don't like the beers...then probably not worth it
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #6971 on: May 26, 2016, 01:34:41 pm »
drive up to the Southern Tier (the region, not the brewery) for the weekend.
the brewery is pretty sweet, but if you don't like the beers...then probably not worth it

It's an extra 3.5 hours from where I'm going, so won't be making it there. My brother went to a festival there recently and gave good reviews. The Choklat is their contribution to my current beer collection.

Space Freely

« Reply #6972 on: May 26, 2016, 01:37:19 pm »
Speaking of pink beers, had a bottle of this last week.

It was definitely a cut above the Kirsch Gose, but I'm not sure its $14 retail price for 12 ounce bottle was the best deal ever.

Bagley

« Reply #6973 on: May 26, 2016, 01:52:56 pm »
Anybody been to Selin's Grove Brewpub in PA and have a review? Planning on hitting it for dinner as we drive up to the Southern Tier (the region, not the brewery) for the weekend.

Hit it a couple years ago.  I seem to remember their APA hitting the spot.  Food was very good.

« Reply #6974 on: May 27, 2016, 08:55:29 am »
ohh....aslin on tap in Falls church!

Dominion Wine and Beer
Welcoming one of Northern Virginia's hottest and fastest growing breweries, Aslin Beer Company.  Don't miss this opportunity to try beers that rarely leave the brewery!

STELLAR PARALLAX
Aslin Beer Company
American Double / Imperial IPA 8.1% ABV
$11.99 / 32oz Growler
$21.99 / 64oz Growler
Virginia

SMALL TOWN IN ONTARIO
Aslin Beer Company
American IPA 6% ABV
$11.99 / 32oz Growler
$21.99 / 64oz Growler
Virginia

Limited Release!  Each customer must choose between one 32oz growler of each beer or one 64oz growler of one beer.  While supplies last.
slack