Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3242883 times)

i am gay and i like cats

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #4335 on: March 20, 2014, 09:21:18 am »
this is almost as thrilling, as the tastes great, less filling debate.

atomic

« Reply #4336 on: March 20, 2014, 10:19:04 am »
So does any style a brewery regularly cans/bottles count as their "flagship beer"? I mean first they did Duckpin, second they canned altbier, andquite a bit later they start canning the black lager. The first two were commonly called the flagship beers (use the google). So they start canning a third and it becomes a "flagship" as well?

Deschutes bottles a handful of beers year round and they call their porter their flagship beer, if I remember correctly.

How many flagships can a brewery have?

BTW, I prefer the altbier and black lager to the pale ale. Though I don't fin them any more challenging to the palate. It's the DOUBLE duckpin i really like.

Going for your Mcdonalds style beer again. 

Anyway who cares how they label them.  I think anything that they put in a can and is available year round will be a flag-ship beer for them.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 10:20:52 am by atomic »

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4337 on: March 20, 2014, 01:07:53 pm »
I love this style

what a

their second flagship beer, the altbier, is a German style

bizarre style to make your second flagship beer.

of posting.  Mind if I borrow it?

stevewizzle

« Reply #4338 on: March 20, 2014, 05:27:46 pm »
go
I love this style

what a

for it!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4339 on: March 20, 2014, 06:26:28 pm »
following a conversation has

go
I love this style

what a

for it!

just become a whole lot more complicated.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #4340 on: March 24, 2014, 07:54:13 pm »
We held our seventh 9:30 bottle share this past weekend. Highlights (at least for me) included de Struise Black Albert, Cascade Sang Noire, and an Upslope/Crooked Stave Collaboration beer.

We also held an interesting blind tasting of six IPA's with nine people tasting.

The results from first to worst were:

1. Fatheads Hop Juju
2. Cigar City Hopped on the High Seas
3. Brew Bus Last Stop IPA
4. DC Brau OTWOA
5. Great Lakes Chillwave
6. Cigar City Jai Alai

Anybody else who was there can chime in...

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4341 on: March 25, 2014, 09:55:57 am »
the Sang Royale was the highlight for me, the two geuzes (3 Fonteinen and St Louis) were nice too.  that upslope/CS collab had a delicious unique brett character to it.  don't think i've ever tasted anything quite like it.  once again, the sours & wilds were the best things on offer!  i quite enjoyed the Prairie saison.  the Black Albert was good but didn't leave me with much of an impression.  the Even More Jesus was too sweet, hence the missus loved it.  the God Damn Raspberry Pigeon Porter was a let-down, less like raspberries and more like cough syrup.  as we were packing up i noticed that we hadn't finished off the Evolution Rum Barrel Golden Ale, so i did the super-classy thing of swigging from the 750 bottle as i gathered my things.  good times! ;D
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #4342 on: March 25, 2014, 10:03:41 am »
I'm surprised the St Louis Gueuze

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/st-louis-gueuze/6101/

is so lowly rated compared to the 3 Fonteinen:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/3-fonteinen-oude-geuze/11168/

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4343 on: March 25, 2014, 11:41:19 am »
ratebeer?  who the hell references THAT site?!? ;)

you were looking at the wrong St. Louis: we had the "Fond Tradition", not their standard gueuze (which is apparently way too sweet).  the Fond Tradition has a much more respectable 94 on RB.

BA scores: 88 vs. 97.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #4344 on: March 25, 2014, 11:47:16 am »
To me, comparing percentiles within style (ratebeer) has much more meaning than those seemingly arbitrary beer advocate numbers. RB percentile scores 88 vs. 32.

ratebeer?  who the hell references THAT site?!? ;)

you were looking at the wrong St. Louis: we had the "Fond Tradition", not their standard gueuze (which is apparently way too sweet).  the Fond Tradition has a much more respectable 94 on RB.

BA scores: 88 vs. 97.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 11:50:10 am by James Ford »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4345 on: March 25, 2014, 12:48:40 pm »
to me, it seems that you're picking and choosing the rating system that happens to back your argument at any given time ;D
<sig>

atomic

« Reply #4346 on: March 25, 2014, 01:58:17 pm »
to me, it seems that you're picking and choosing the rating system that happens to back your argument at any given time ;D

Why do we need a rating system at all.  You either like the beer or not.  No one elses opinion should matter. 

James Ford

« Reply #4347 on: March 25, 2014, 03:21:21 pm »
I know this is hard for you to fathom, but sometimes it's interesting to know the opinions of someone other than yourself.

I can probably count the number of people I know whose opinions I trust on beer on less than three hands. I suppose I could just email them all and ask them what they think about a certain beer and if they've had it and are willing to email me back, I can form some kind judgment call on what other people think of the beer.

Or, I can look at a site like Ratebeer, where 1326 people have rated a beer, and trust that most of them have taste since they went out of their way to find the beer and took the time to write a review.

Why do we need a rating system at all.  You either like the beer or not.  No one elses opinion should matter. 

Bagley

« Reply #4348 on: March 25, 2014, 06:35:57 pm »
Just noticed that there's a Maine Beer Co "Dinner"-their DIPA.  Anyone check it out?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4349 on: March 26, 2014, 11:41:58 am »
Just noticed that there's a Maine Beer Co "Dinner"-their DIPA.  Anyone check it out?

i'd be interested in checking it out if available, but the luster on MBC has faded for me.  lunch is an above-average IPA but nothing mind-blowing. 
<sig>