Author Topic: Tech Question  (Read 10702 times)

ggw

Tech Question
« on: January 24, 2017, 04:33:22 pm »
Does anyone use Airport Express to wirelessly connect their itunes library to their home stereo?  If so, does it work well?  If not, does anyone have any other tips/suggestions for a setup/device that will allow me to play my itunes through my home stereo?

Yada

Re: Tech Question
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 04:48:40 pm »
Sonos.

/thread

vansmack

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 04:57:37 pm »
Sonos.

/thread

I'm imagining GGW's home stereo setup is of higher quality than SONOS.

Where is your iTunes library currently stored?  On a desk/laptop or in the cloud?
27>34

ggw

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 05:13:02 pm »
itunes is on my laptop.

Your imagination is correct.  I have a (moderately) high quality home audio system including built-in speakers in some rooms.  I don't want additional speakers through which to stream music.  I just want to use my itunes as another input component to my existing stereo.  But do so wirelessly so I can manage the tunes from the kitchen or living room (or wherever I am with the laptop) and not have to go to the library (where the stereo lives).

Yada

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 05:59:39 pm »
Sonos.

/thread

I'm imagining GGW's home stereo setup is of higher quality than SONOS.

Where is your iTunes library currently stored?  On a desk/laptop or in the cloud?

I'm confused. I have a high end sound system that uses SONOS but not SONOS speakers.

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 06:01:47 pm »
I finally quit using Airport Express because it kept cutting out.  I was told by a techie Airport Express has many problems due to software updates and that you need to be a routing guru to keep up with the updates.  Switched to Sonos, much happier...sounds awesome.

Yada

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 06:11:59 pm »
itunes is on my laptop.

Your imagination is correct.  I have a (moderately) high quality home audio system including built-in speakers in some rooms.  I don't want additional speakers through which to stream music.  I just want to use my itunes as another input component to my existing stereo.  But do so wirelessly so I can manage the tunes from the kitchen or living room (or wherever I am with the laptop) and not have to go to the library (where the stereo lives).

I'll say it again.

SONOS

/thread

vansmack

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 07:24:02 pm »
Yada is referencing SONOS Connect.  In GGW's scenario where he wants to carry his laptop around with him, or play from where ever his laptop is, that should work.

I was imaging a scenario where GGW would like to keep his library stationary, and then use a phone to choose the songs to play.  That's going to take a little more time to figure out, and probably require a cloud based solution for his music.

Another alternative to SONOS is a Chromecast Audio, but that won't play well with iTunes.  Which was my next question - why are you still using iTunes?   
27>34

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 07:26:33 pm »
I know it's not directly relevant to GGWs question, but as someone who cannot run wires where he is, SONOS is the best~$3500 vansmack ever convinced me to spend.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 07:34:08 pm »
I know it's not directly relevant to GGWs question, but as someone who cannot run wires where he is, SONOS is the best~$3500 vansmack ever convinced me to spend.

The only thing Smackie is better at than spending his own money, is spending other peoples money....
27>34

ggw

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 07:57:57 pm »
I finally quit using Airport Express because it kept cutting out.  I was told by a techie Airport Express has many problems due to software updates and that you need to be a routing guru to keep up with the updates.  Switched to Sonos, much happier...sounds awesome.

Exactly the type of feedback I was looking for.

ggw

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 08:15:28 pm »
Yada is referencing SONOS Connect.  In GGW's scenario where he wants to carry his laptop around with him, or play from where ever his laptop is, that should work.

I was imaging a scenario where GGW would like to keep his library stationary, and then use a phone to choose the songs to play.  That's going to take a little more time to figure out, and probably require a cloud based solution for his music.

Another alternative to SONOS is a Chromecast Audio, but that won't play well with iTunes.  Which was my next question - why are you still using iTunes?   

I'm just an analog man in a digital world.

Really - I am the world's slowest adapter.  My phone is a BlackBerry Classic.  I doubt I can control anything with it.  Terms like "cloud based solution" frighten me.  I'm sure there's something better than iTunes, but I'm comfortable with it and it fits my limited needs.

Thanks for the tips.  I'll follow your (and yada's and jeffml's) advice and check out sonos.

mekmad

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 08:30:09 pm »
Amazon Echo Dot with Amazon Music unlimited ($3.99 a month) is pretty cool too.  Connect via blu tooth or 3.5 cable.

Yada

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 08:41:37 pm »

Really - I am the world's slowest adapter.  My phone is a BlackBerry Classic.  I doubt I can control anything with it.  Terms like "cloud based solution" frighten me.  I'm sure there's something better than iTunes, but I'm comfortable with it and it fits my limited needs.

Thanks for the tips.  I'll follow your (and yada's and jeffml's) advice and check out sonos.

Will set up AV systems for food (and droogz and booze).

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2020, 05:10:22 pm »

I love that GGW was using a BlackBerry Classic in 2017 :)

Anyone looked at Marshal for doing multi room speakers and looking like a hepcat instead of a nerd dad
https://www.marshallheadphones.com/us/en/acton-multi-room.html
slack