Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2692246 times)

hutch

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #3435 on: October 28, 2011, 01:05:53 pm »
for those going here are the set times..

BlackCatDC Black Cat
Pay attn! EARLY SHOW: 6:30- @ActiveChild 7:40- @M83music | LATE SHOW: 9:45- @ActiveChild 10:55- @M83music #bothshowsaretotallysoldout

Staralfur25

« Reply #3436 on: October 29, 2011, 03:38:37 am »
anxiously
 awaiting the m83 reviews cause this kid had to work.   :-*

azaghal1981

« Reply #3437 on: October 29, 2011, 12:03:19 pm »
It was a solid show. Songs were played really well. Song selection was not my favorite though. "Teen Angst" was the only thing they played off their best album, IMO. They also played nothing from Dead Cities. Some of the Saturdays = Youth material was reworked/remixed and the new stuff translated really well live though I still have not fully embraced Anthony's new vocal approach. They appear to be going for a big arena rock type sound which would have sounded better in a bigger room. It felt to me like the BC system was not able to do it justice. 930 next time, Seth?
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3438 on: October 29, 2011, 12:20:58 pm »
quick recap: these were the first shows of the tour, so there were still working out some of the kinks.  anthony said that the early show was crap, and after their first song they had to stop the show while a roadie came out and fixed a keyboard/cable problem.  the female vocals (morgan) were too loud in the mix for the first few songs, but eventually they got it right.  that being said, it was a solid show.  played a good mix of new & old, with the new stuff sounding good.  if i had left after the main set, i would have though it was a solid show but not top-10-of-the-year material.  the encore, however, was amazing.  not quite mind-blowing, but up there.  morgan's vocals on skin of the night were perfect, and couleurs turned the place into a big dance party.  all the way through i thought to myself, "FINALLY!".  i got my $15's value in those 10 minutes.

setlist:
Intro
Midnight City
Kim and Jessie
Teen Angst
Run Into Flowers
Wait
We Own The Sky
Reunion
Claudia Lewis
Year One, One UFO
Steve McQueen
Outro
Encore:
Skin Of The Night
Couleurs
(http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/m83/2011/black-cat-washington-dc-23d1ac5f.html)

They appear to be going for a big arena rock type sound which would have sounded better in a bigger room. It felt to me like the BC system was not able to do it justice. 930 next time, Seth?

YES PLEASE.  i was unimpressed with the black cat last night.  all in all, it's a very average venue and some things about it are down-right shitty.  the ceiling is too low, the PA is unimpressive, the sight lines are bad unless you're up front, people talk too much, and it feels run down.  last night, the only good thing about the BC that came to mind was the bands it books - if you're into smaller/less mainstream/indie'er/etc bands, then i'd understand one someone loves the BC.  but given the choice between seeing a band at the 930 and the BC, would anyone choose the BC?
<sig>

stevewizzle

« Reply #3439 on: October 29, 2011, 12:30:36 pm »
saw the early show. occasional stage banter apologizing that they were off.  i guess i didn't notice much, i was pretty blown away by their energy.

would see them again in a heartbeat at 930. agree with the shittyness of BC's sight lines. Thought the sound was good though.

They appear to be going for a big arena rock type sound which would have sounded better in a bigger room. It felt to me like the BC system was not able to do it justice. 930 next time, Seth?

YES PLEASE.  i was unimpressed with the black cat last night.  all in all, it's a very average venue and some things about it are down-right shitty.  the ceiling is too low, the PA is unimpressive, the sight lines are bad unless you're up front, people talk too much, and it feels run down.  last night, the only good thing about the BC that came to mind was the bands it books - if you're into smaller/less mainstream/indie'er/etc bands, then i'd understand one someone loves the BC.  but given the choice between seeing a band at the 930 and the BC, would anyone choose the BC?

azaghal1981

« Reply #3440 on: October 29, 2011, 12:33:34 pm »
Oh, I guess Run Into Flowers is on Dead Cities. But I would have still liked to have seen more pre-Saturdays material represented. A minor complaint about what was otherwise a really good show. That Couleurs was indeed phenomenal.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 12:35:24 pm by azaghal1981 »
احمد

hutch

« Reply #3441 on: October 29, 2011, 02:08:14 pm »
Its obviously inane to compare the Black Cat and the 930 Club; they serve different purposes and generally have different bands play.

The great thing about the Black Cat is ticket prices tend to be quite cheap as are beer prices.. its a night out that won't break your bank in this increasingly yuppified DC..

azaghal1981

« Reply #3442 on: October 29, 2011, 02:19:14 pm »
The line between which venue books what bands is becoming more blurred. M83 easily could have sold the club out last night and I would be shocked if they did not play there the next time they come through.
احمد

hutch

« Reply #3443 on: October 29, 2011, 03:43:20 pm »
The line between which venue books what bands is becoming more blurred. M83 easily could have sold the club out last night and I would be shocked if they did not play there the next time they come through.

every year going back since i've moved to the area in 93 there have been a select number of shows at the black cat that could have made at the 930.

the clubs largely serve two differing constituencies/demographics.. you go the 930 you see an older crowd with iphones having no problem spending $7 for a beer..its just not like that at the black cat which continues to retain its roots in DC's punk scene. god bless dante!

the 930 is my favorite club in the world.. but to pretend the black cat should have the sight lines or sound of the 930 when the bands that play there often play for less than half (or worse) that those at the 930 do..well...

hutch

« Reply #3444 on: October 29, 2011, 03:47:02 pm »
a more interesting question would be comparing the old black cat to the new one.. i think the old one had better sight lines.. certainly a higher ceiling..course it was smaller

listen in this age of 14th street yuppification i'm just grateful for every day the black cat stays in business.. you better believe some developers are talking dante's ear off to sell the place and replace it with ultra fancy condos with a lower level cheesecake factory or some expensive bar serving $10 pina coladas.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3445 on: October 29, 2011, 03:47:31 pm »
i agree with hutch...if m83 played the 930, it would have been $25 as opposed to $15.
(_|_)

hutch

« Reply #3446 on: October 29, 2011, 03:49:15 pm »
i agree with hutch...if m83 played the 930, it would have been $25 as opposed to $15.

ha ha... very funny.

black cat shows tend to have smaller bands that charge less..thats just reality.

its nice to have it around.

and dont' forget the black cat ticket charges are far less than IMP.. it does add up.

btw: you need to learn how to read qualifiers...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 03:50:49 pm by hutch »

hutch

« Reply #3447 on: October 29, 2011, 03:51:53 pm »
I'll be at Outer Body Llama at Molly Malone's November 5.

azaghal1981

« Reply #3448 on: October 29, 2011, 04:51:57 pm »
I agree with regard to the different crowds but bands do go back and forth more often than you think. Another example off the top of my head: Boris tonight are playing the BC. Last time they came through, they played the club. And the only reason I brought the club up is because M83 appear to be trying to appeal to the typical 930 crowd you described above. Their current sound is just made for a bigger room/stronger system/less music nerdy demographic.
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3449 on: October 29, 2011, 07:28:33 pm »
yup, shows are cheaper at the BC so that's a plus for them.  on the other hand, i would have paid $5 or $10 more for a better PA and better sight lines.  i realize not everyone would agree.

beer might be cheaper at the black cat ($6 for 16 oz of draft vs. $7 for 12 oz at 930), but WTF is the deal with their over-priced water?!?  $4 for a silver blue-and-red can that they called a "tall-boy".  ridiculous!
<sig>