Author Topic: On the Eve of the new Season...  (Read 1371741 times)

hutch

Re: On the Eve of the new Season...
« Reply #3570 on: July 28, 2011, 09:46:21 pm »
i agree bradley and maradona are worse than klinsman at picking assistants

Well, if thats all you got my friend I'll just leave it at that..

You have to make a better case for Klinsmann than "He's good at picking assistants.."
 A point which by the way is not substantiated: He was good at picking Loew.. Thats about all we know.. Loew is not available in case you were not aware.

This is the US National Soccer Team not  Boca Juniors Potomac.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #3571 on: July 28, 2011, 09:56:42 pm »
i just don't see how you dismiss a world cup by saying 'oh it was just his assistant, look at these other guys that supposedly dont know tactics'
o/\o

hutch

« Reply #3572 on: July 28, 2011, 10:04:46 pm »
i just don't see how you dismiss a world cup by saying 'oh it was just his assistant, look at these other guys that supposedly dont know tactics'

Huh? Semis in Germany for Germany is not a great result.

So you're saying the US should pick Klinsmann over guys like Hiddink or Avocaat because of one WC? And the reason I dismiss Klinsmann is because it was so evident on the sideline that Loew was the one making the decisions. How can I not dismiss that?

(I realize neither Hiddink or Avocaat may be available)

I'm now sure we are communicating well.. I'm not saying Klinsmann is like Maradona or Bradley.. he is WAY better than Diego and better than Bradley.. I just think we can do better.

Heck Gerardo Martino of Paraguay I have no doubt is a way better coach than Klinsmann... Call him up .. he is available TONIGHT.. tomorrow he will say whether he reups with Paraguay...

There are plenty of proven coaches...heck make a run at Markarian and see if you can pry him from Peru...

THe focus on Klinsmann I think has more to do with his connections with the US media than anything else.. its not based on a proven track record of coaching success.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 10:11:49 pm by hutch »

godsshoeshine

« Reply #3573 on: July 28, 2011, 10:09:46 pm »
you're kidding about hiddink and avocaat right? it's the usa not england. someone from mls is the alternative here. maybe sven

o/\o

hutch

« Reply #3574 on: July 28, 2011, 10:15:47 pm »
you're kidding about hiddink and avocaat right? it's the usa not england. someone from mls is the alternative here. maybe sven

Wow, first of all I added to my post above.. but it must be you that is kidding.. Hiddink is currently coaching Turkey and has coached plenty of countries with less pedigree than the US.. same for Avocaat..Sounds to me like you think the US shouldn't aspire to a great coach.. show them the money and they will come.. its actually an attractive job.

Sven? who would want him? A complete and utter failure.. what we want is a guy with proven national team experience at the World CUp level and preferably not with major powers... someone who has coached say a team like Paraguay to make a good run.. Another guy who is great is the guy who coaches Costa Rica and used to coach Mexico.. THAT guy is a MANAGER (ADD: LAVOLPE)

By the way the more I think about it the more I like the idea of a Latin American..

« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 10:20:03 pm by hutch »

godsshoeshine

« Reply #3575 on: July 28, 2011, 10:26:05 pm »
no one would want sven, that's the point

neither gus nor dick are going to leave their jobs in the middle of euro qualifying to manage a concacaf team 3 years from a world cup
o/\o

hutch

« Reply #3576 on: July 28, 2011, 10:49:15 pm »
no one would want sven, that's the point

neither gus nor dick are going to leave their jobs in the middle of euro qualifying to manage a concacaf team 3 years from a world cup

plenty of other coaches I would rate higher than Klinsmann based on their track record/experience.

Again, you simply haven't made any argument for why Juergen is the right guy for the job.. Why? Because the guy on Yahoo sports keeps talking about him?

Ultimately I'm not saying the US should do anything different than Argentina in finding a new coach.. call five people to come in for an interview. ask them some questions and then make a decision.. pay what you have to pay to get the right guy..

I hope the USSF does the right thing and doesn't simply pick Klinsmann without talking to others...

I know Argentina will do the wrong thing and pick Sabella when you have guys like Bianchi, Ramon Diaz, Gallego with far more experience.

In a way Sabella reminds me of Klinsmann.. he has like two years of experience as manager and did win the Libertadores.. not enough.

anyways, we'll see what happens but still haven't seen any compelling reason for why Klinsmann is the guy.

hutch

« Reply #3577 on: July 28, 2011, 10:55:17 pm »
I looked into Klinsmann's coaching track record to see if maybe I was missing something..

NO. I was not. He has coached LESS than three years!

A grand total of a measly 79 games including dozens of meaningless friendlies !

I'm sorry.. its just not very much.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 11:02:31 pm by hutch »

godsshoeshine

« Reply #3578 on: July 29, 2011, 06:35:41 am »
don't get me wrong, klinsman isn't perfect. i was merely focusing on your point about loew

if the us can get someone better, i'm all for it

i can't think of anyone available and willing to come here, though

i'd love hiddink, but i just feel like the alternative to klinsman is something in the sigi schmid or dominick kinnear range
o/\o

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #3579 on: July 29, 2011, 09:59:25 am »
I don't know enough about the US national team so can't comment on the finer details. What I will say, and no disrespect to Americans, is they need a European manager but not Italian. The players are beginning to play the attacking European style rather than than the 'defense!! defense!! defense!!' style of years past. The talent pool is excellent now so the last piece of the puzzle is a manager to work with their skills.

If you look at the succesful teams, even at club level, they all play the style to suit the players, not coach the players to suit the style the manager wants. (Rednapp, Mourinho, Daglish, SAF etc.)

I'd say a German, Scottish or Dutch boss. The pool of English bosses right now is pretty much dried up for now.

vansmack

« Reply #3580 on: July 29, 2011, 12:48:10 pm »
I got my man.

You can keep Maradona.
27>34

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #3581 on: July 29, 2011, 01:17:00 pm »
I got my man.

You can keep Maradona.

Marafuckindonna???
I'd take Madona over that no-necked crack-monkey

hutch

« Reply #3582 on: July 29, 2011, 06:09:30 pm »
I got my man.

You can keep Maradona.

huh?

I've been known to rant for hours on Diego... don't get me started...

I hope Klinsmann does great... I'd consider him an upgrade over Bradley.

but y'all can blow me

« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 07:00:48 pm by hutch »

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #3583 on: August 01, 2011, 09:50:47 am »
I'm assuming those photo's were taken just before Diego asked your momma to leave the room so he could make you blow him?

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #3584 on: August 01, 2011, 03:36:24 pm »
Hmmmmmmm...Joey Barton available on a free transfer. Much cheaper than Schneider and Fergie would most certainly keep him in order.

Interesting....very interesting!!!