Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243775 times)

Yada

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2760 on: June 06, 2013, 01:45:22 pm »
I'm sorry, I should have ignored your post as everyone else I'm sure did.

But you do see that your post was the equivalent of a 50 year old guy who claims to like rock music going on a "rock music" thread and proclaiming he had just heard Tom Petty for the first time....right?

I had water last night. Probably pretty similiar in taste, and less calories!

I expected an asshole comment from you.  Do you do anything but troll?

That beer has only been imported for a couple of years. I have never seen it in a bar before.    You are an asshole.  You know it. I am sure you wouldn't talk like that to me in person because I would knock you down, little man.  You are the one who admitted to drinking coors light and bud light all your life. I  never drank that crap.  I am not a wimpy man who needs to approve what he likes by reading beer advocate first.  How pathetic can you be?  I know you do that.  You drink a beer than you look on the review on beer advocate to decide whether it is Ok for you to like it.  Don't you see how sad that is? 

I can imagine how much fun it would be to go to a bar with you.  Bitching the whole time about the beer selection.

Net Threats!!!

James Ford

« Reply #2761 on: June 06, 2013, 02:00:41 pm »
For the record, I've never had a Coors Light or a Bud Light in my life. Before I got into craft beer, I was a wine drinker.

I did once go to the Coors Brewery and took the tour and got the free samples. But I don't think I chose Coors Light for a sample.

I can state that when my mom went through a bit of a beer drinking phase in her 60's, she did drink Coors Light and Kilkenny Irish Cream. Lol.

Hey, wanna come to our next 9:30 bottle share party?

atomicfront

« Reply #2762 on: June 06, 2013, 02:04:09 pm »
For the record, I've never had a Coors Light or a Bud Light in my life. Before I got into craft beer, I was a wine drinker.

I did once go to the Coors Brewery and took the tour and got the free samples. But I don't think I chose Coors Light for a sample.

I can state that when my mom went through a bit of a beer drinking phase in her 60's, she did drink Coors Light and Kilkenny Irish Cream. Lol.

Hey, wanna come to our next 9:30 bottle share party?

Absolutely not.  I don't think I could stand being in the same room as you.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2763 on: June 06, 2013, 02:06:15 pm »
That beer has only been imported for a couple of years. I have never seen it in a bar before.   

then you haven't been to many bars.  it's been a staple of "irish pubs" for a long time.  kilkinney was one of the first beers i got into when i was discovering that beer could be more than insipid fizzy yellow lager - that was some time in the mid-90's.
<sig>

atomicfront

« Reply #2764 on: June 06, 2013, 02:14:48 pm »
That beer has only been imported for a couple of years. I have never seen it in a bar before.   

then you haven't been to many bars.  it's been a staple of "irish pubs" for a long time.  kilkinney was one of the first beers i got into when i was discovering that beer could be more than insipid fizzy yellow lager - that was some time in the mid-90's.

From what I read until 2010 the only place in USA it was available was in Dubliner Pub in DC. I don't go to a lot of Irish Pubs that is true.  But you see Smithwicks, Guinness, and Harp everywhere. 

James Ford

« Reply #2765 on: June 06, 2013, 02:44:39 pm »
If that is the case, I offer you my apologies. I honestly don't pay attention macro grocery store beers anymore. Kilkenny, Smithwick's, Killians, Harp...they're all gateway beers that have fallen off my radar.

Sweetcell, could it be that Kilkenny was much more readily available in Canada (where I presume you were) in the mid-90's than it was in the US?

From what I read until 2010 the only place in USA it was available was in Dubliner Pub in DC. I don't go to a lot of Irish Pubs that is true.  But you see Smithwicks, Guinness, and Harp everywhere. 

brennser

« Reply #2766 on: June 06, 2013, 03:09:18 pm »
fwiw I don't think i've ever seen Kilkenny on tap in Ireland - usually Guinness, Smithwicks, Harp and then the global macros

atomicfront

« Reply #2767 on: June 06, 2013, 03:16:25 pm »
"'Kilkenny' name was originally used during the 1980s and 1990s to market a stronger version of Smithwick's for the European and Canadian market due to difficulty in pronunciation of the word 'Smithwick's'. It now refers to a similar yet distinct beer."

James Ford

« Reply #2768 on: June 06, 2013, 03:34:39 pm »
Interesting.

According to your much detested BA website, Smithwick's is a smidge stronger, 4.5% to 4.3%.

I wonder if they've watered it down for the American market and it's now different from the beer Sweetcell is referring to that he drank in the 90's.

"'Kilkenny' name was originally used during the 1980s and 1990s to market a stronger version of Smithwick's for the European and Canadian market due to difficulty in pronunciation of the word 'Smithwick's'. It now refers to a similar yet distinct beer."

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2769 on: June 06, 2013, 03:38:03 pm »
Sweetcell, could it be that Kilkenny was much more readily available in Canada (where I presume you were) in the mid-90's than it was in the US?

sounds like that's the case.

what's so hard about pronouncing Smithwicks?  sounds like "smidicks", no?

edit: i have no idea what the ABV was back then, but it was as strong as any other beer on offer which was typically 5.0-5.5%.  beers generally tend to be a tad stronger in canada.  gotta fight off them winter chills.
<sig>

brennser

« Reply #2770 on: June 06, 2013, 03:44:23 pm »
back in the day DC used to get Caffreys ale while I remember liking

atomicfront

« Reply #2771 on: June 06, 2013, 04:04:07 pm »
Interesting.

According to your much detested BA website, Smithwick's is a smidge stronger, 4.5% to 4.3%.

I wonder if they've watered it down for the American market and it's now different from the beer Sweetcell is referring to that he drank in the 90's.

Well the current Killkenny is a cream ale.  Smithwicks is an Red Ale.  So I don't think it is a watered down version at of all.  The current Smithwicks would be a watered down version of the older Canadian Killkenny.  Also the current Killkenny uses nitrogen so you get a really slow poor like Guinness which can be annoying.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2772 on: June 06, 2013, 04:47:45 pm »
according to style definitions, cream ales are lighter than red ales so watering down a red ale could indeed produce something close to a cream ale.  doesn't mean that the beers are what they claim to be - you can label your beer to be any style you like regardless of whether you are in its bounds (for example you can call whatever beer you like an "IPA"), there is no style police.  so who knows if kilkenny truly is a cream ale, stylistically; or if Smithwicks is in fact a "true" red ale.
<sig>

stevewizzle

« Reply #2773 on: June 06, 2013, 05:46:08 pm »
stopping by mad fox today, i snagged a growler of batch 300.  tasty strong ale, and you get 50% off a growler fill if you write a yelp review for them and show it.

the real winner of the trip was a taster of the molotov hoptail '13.  similar to hoptimum, but maltier. i recommend snagging a glass if you see it around.

atomicfront

« Reply #2774 on: June 06, 2013, 06:03:39 pm »
Thinking of canned beer I am reminded of my youthful trip to England where I enjoyed Carlsberg Special Brew.  They came in these big cans and are 9 percent alcohol.  I usually drank 3 a night.  The first was god-awful.  The second tasted pretty good and by your third you had lost all sense of taste or memory.