Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243809 times)

imbecile

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #3405 on: August 29, 2013, 03:33:24 pm »
There are four of us, but none of us are alcoholics. So a sixer will probably suffice.  Also, one person just had a baby and is nursing, so likely not drinking anything at all.

Also, we are bringing all the food, so they'll likely supply some beer as well. And it won't be catered to our tastes based on past experience.

Thanks guys. My wife just picked up a sixer of the Truth at P Street.

Now is that something i can bring over to a friends for snacks and beers? My wife says "DIPA's" aren't for everyone."

But what beer is? These friends brought a sixer of porters to our house last time. Good, but not our favorite. If they had brought Fat Tire or Brooklyn Lager, that totally wouldn't have been for everyone either. Everyone being my wife and I.

Should one have to tamper down your tastes if you're bringing over beer to a non-beer geek friends house?

If you're bringing something to a friend's house, I find it a nice gesture to bring something you'd think they would like/enjoy.

Also, if there are four of you, you should be bringing more than one six pack, so bring one that you know they'd like and if you want to bring a sixer of something fancy for you and wife, then do it.

If you drink more than 1.5 beers you're considered an alcoholic?

I hope you're bringing some mashed potatoes to that party!

Interesting topic. 

When I go to someones house for a few beers, I usually bring the amount that I plan on drinking.    I'm not going to just carry a few bottles, so it's usually a sixer.  That would be the same if it were my wife and I heading over.  The thinking being,  you don't invite someone over and expect them to bring all the beer.  You have some of your own, just not enough for everyone so you say bring beer.  Then when you get there, you brought what you like, they have what they like.. you drink whatever, trying both and all is well; if they don't like your beer they're good because they have theirs and vice versa. 

Is that not right?

atomic

« Reply #3406 on: August 29, 2013, 03:38:21 pm »

Now is that something i can bring over to a friends for snacks and beers? My wife says "DIPA's" aren't for everyone."

But what beer is? These friends brought a sixer of porters to our house last time. Good, but not our favorite. If they had brought Fat Tire or Brooklyn Lager, that totally wouldn't have been for everyone either. Everyone being my wife and I.

Should one have to tamper down your tastes if you're bringing over beer to a non-beer geek friends house?

I would think most people would not like Double IPA's.  If you are bringing beer over to someoene's house you should bring beer that they would like as well.  I hate white wine but my mother in law only drinks white wine so when I bring wine to her house I have to bring two bottles.  You could do that as well.

Yada

« Reply #3407 on: August 29, 2013, 03:56:44 pm »
There are four of us, but none of us are alcoholics. So a sixer will probably suffice.  Also, one person just had a baby and is nursing, so likely not drinking anything at all.

Also, we are bringing all the food, so they'll likely supply some beer as well. And it won't be catered to our tastes based on past experience.

If you're bringing something to a friend's house, I find it a nice gesture to bring something you'd think they would like/enjoy.

Also, if there are four of you, you should be bringing more than one six pack, so bring one that you know they'd like and if you want to bring a sixer of something fancy for you and wife, then do it.

Interesting topic. 

When I go to someones house for a few beers, I usually bring the amount that I plan on drinking.    I'm not going to just carry a few bottles, so it's usually a sixer.  That would be the same if it were my wife and I heading over.  The thinking being,  you don't invite someone over and expect them to bring all the beer.  You have some of your own, just not enough for everyone so you say bring beer.  Then when you get there, you brought what you like, they have what they like.. you drink whatever, trying both and all is well; if they don't like your beer they're good because they have theirs and vice versa. 

Is that not right?

Depends on the situation I guess... I generally bring two six packs if it's for two people coming + other guests/hosts... but I don't think there's a right or wrong. Also, I generally drink more than 1.5 beers over an entire evening of hanging out with folks.

Bagley

« Reply #3408 on: August 29, 2013, 04:54:51 pm »
just bring Blue Moon sixer, a Corona sixer; orange and lemon slices and everyone'll be happy ;)

Bagley

« Reply #3409 on: August 29, 2013, 05:04:36 pm »
lime not lemon, pardon me

James Ford

« Reply #3410 on: August 29, 2013, 06:08:00 pm »
That seems to be the way things go with us and several of our couple friends. Not that there is a "right" way.

I don't recall either party EVER bringing more than a six pack or three bombers. Nor do I ever recall the hosts not having more beer on hand to supplement.

In this case, one person is driving and one person is nursing. And I myself typically usually don't have more than two (especially if the abv is 7 or more), whether I'm the driver or not. (Unless it's a bottle share party, that's another story.)

Interesting topic. 

Is that not right?

James Ford

« Reply #3411 on: August 29, 2013, 09:17:17 pm »
I made some black bean tostadas tonight and served with Lawson's Double Sunshine.

Can't think of a restaurant meal that would make me as food and drink happy as I am now. Guess I'll cap it off with a couple of squares of Noi Sirius dark chocolate. Yummmmm.

stevewizzle

« Reply #3412 on: August 30, 2013, 10:26:55 am »
lime not lemon, pardon me

how fucking dare you

Bagley

« Reply #3413 on: August 30, 2013, 11:14:53 am »
Thanks, You might as well have said Mars.

:'(
7th street spirit shop in Frederick had a couple cases as of yesterday

Shoppers food warehouse on Mars/Germantown, Md got TEN cases of the Truth in.......

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #3414 on: August 30, 2013, 11:25:59 am »
I made homemade pizza last night (with Vace dough, see: Gastronomical Banter thread) and paired it up with a Gandhi Bot. Terrific.

Yada

« Reply #3415 on: August 30, 2013, 11:35:17 am »
I made homemade pizza last night (with Vace dough, see: Gastronomical Banter thread) and paired it up with a Gandhi Bot. Terrific.

What kinda pizza?

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #3416 on: August 30, 2013, 12:35:13 pm »

What kinda pizza?

Nothing special. Just mozzarella, tomato sauce, and spinach. I'll be more adventurous next time.

James Ford

« Reply #3417 on: August 30, 2013, 04:47:11 pm »
If this beer is anywhere as near as good as OTWOA and is $11/six pack (what I paid at P Street Whole Foods), and is readily available at your local supermarket...it seems like that might spell trouble for DC Brau.

Shoppers food warehouse on Mars/Germantown, Md got TEN cases of the Truth in.......

stevewizzle

« Reply #3418 on: August 30, 2013, 05:08:28 pm »
If this beer is anywhere as near as good as OTWOA and is $11/six pack (what I paid at P Street Whole Foods), and is readily available at your local supermarket...it seems like that might spell trouble for DC Brau.

i've had the truth. it's okay, nothing mind-blowing.  i put it up there with perpetual ipa.

stevewizzle

« Reply #3419 on: August 30, 2013, 05:10:46 pm »
excited to drink some heurlich lager tonight, the pre-prohibition lager the DC homebrewer researched and brewed with DC brau.