Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243947 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #7965 on: February 28, 2017, 03:39:31 pm »
VA: Blue 5 Restaurant in Roanoke (??)

My sister lives in Roanoke and I've been there. If you had told me it was some amazing beer bar, I never would've known. Didn't look like a ridiculous number of taps. Food was merely "ok".
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7966 on: February 28, 2017, 04:38:17 pm »
Didn't look like a ridiculous number of taps.

per the article:

Bottles/Cans: 70
Draught: 46

maybe they added lines since you were last there...
<sig>

« Reply #7967 on: February 28, 2017, 04:44:52 pm »
maybe they added lines since you were last there...
Possibly.
LVMH

« Reply #7968 on: February 28, 2017, 04:46:12 pm »
Oh, I had an usual beer last weekend. It was called Duchesse de Bourgogne. It cost like $14. It tasted like vinegar. Is this supposed to be a big deal? The dude acted like it was a big deal.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7969 on: February 28, 2017, 05:06:32 pm »
Oh, I had an usual beer last weekend. It was called Duchesse de Bourgogne. It cost like $14. It tasted like vinegar. Is this supposed to be a big deal? The dude acted like it was a big deal.

it gets a "meh" from me, but a lot of people like it.  it's one of the more widely available sour beers out there and if often a gateway beer into the world of sours. 

yes, the style (flanders red) can have some hints of vinegar (acetic acid) and the duchess is considered a classic example of the style, but duchess often has too much vinegar to be enjoyable.  it can also be a butter bomb (diacetyl).  it can be pretty tasty when you get a good bottle, but the misses aren't worth the hits IMO.  how they can get away with being so inconsistent in quality, yet so consistently popular, is beyond me.  it is indeed sour, but doesn't have a whole lot else going on compared to, say, a gueuze.

i did share a bottle over xmas and it was quite nice.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #7970 on: February 28, 2017, 05:25:36 pm »
VA: Blue 5 Restaurant in Roanoke (??)

My sister lives in Roanoke and I've been there. If you had told me it was some amazing beer bar, I never would've known. Didn't look like a ridiculous number of taps. Food was merely "ok".

We're doing a roadtrip to Asheville for Spring Break....probably making some good beer visits down there...stopping off in Roanoke for the night on the way home...previously looked at the draft list for this place and though it was big, it was pretty unmemorable. Mekong or the Answer has a much, much better draft list.

Space Freely

« Reply #7971 on: February 28, 2017, 05:27:07 pm »

it gets a "meh" from me, but a lot of people like it.  it's one of the more widely available sour beers out there and if often a gateway beer into the world of sours. 

yes, the style (flanders red) can have some hints of vinegar (acetic acid) and the duchess is considered a classic example of the style, but duchess often has too much vinegar to be enjoyable.  it can also be a butter bomb (diacetyl).  it can be pretty tasty when you get a good bottle, but the misses aren't worth the hits IMO.  how they can get away with being so inconsistent in quality, yet so consistently popular, is beyond me.  it is indeed sour, but doesn't have a whole lot else going on compared to, say, a gueuze.

i did share a bottle over xmas and it was quite nice.

It's also on the sweet side compared to most other sours, imo. And that's not a good thing. While I'd never turn down a free glass or bottle of it, it's nothing I'd seek out.

« Reply #7972 on: February 28, 2017, 05:54:25 pm »
also...they've had it on draft at the 930 at the top bar for years
Monk's kettle was my gateway Flanders red
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7973 on: February 28, 2017, 06:00:31 pm »
also...they've had it on draft at the 930 at the top bar for years

right!  forgot about that.  i remember getting one before i was in to sours.  the bartender warned me.  i couldn't finish it.
<sig>

Unsanity

« Reply #7974 on: March 01, 2017, 05:41:50 am »

Duchesse was my gateway to sour beers. Love at first taste. That beer is great for a hot summer day. It has gone up in price since I got into it. My local Total Wine has trouble keeping it on shelves.

Space Freely

« Reply #7975 on: March 01, 2017, 09:38:14 am »
I tend to prefer my sours poured small, so find that the 11-12 ounce bottle is both the best value and ideal size...even four sharing with my sour loving wife.

For that bottle size, you can't beat Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge or Rodenbach Grand Cru in a four pack for value and quality combined. Highly recommend them over the Duchesse.

« Reply #7976 on: March 01, 2017, 11:35:52 am »
with my sour loving wife.
was there supposed to be a comma in there?
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7977 on: March 01, 2017, 11:57:04 am »
<sig>

« Reply #7978 on: March 01, 2017, 11:58:50 am »
this has been a banner week for zingers...so many contenders for PTOW

Hutch...you should start that thread
slack

shemptiness