Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243844 times)

hutch

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #8070 on: April 03, 2017, 05:37:01 pm »
you got to fight for your right....to buy beer.

Yada

« Reply #8071 on: April 04, 2017, 10:42:00 am »
Not going to bother looking them up but I presume none of those are in a big city. If so, they aren't fair comparisons.

I get the point, though, and Churchkey can/will charge whatever they want and get away with it.  Nobody's driving to Hagerstwon to save a couple bucks on a beer, tho.

Has Space ever dissected the gas/time/travel/per oz of beer cost to you? If not, don't put the above theory past him!

Other than Space's thriftiness, let's talk about that 300 person Hill Farmstead line down the block from Church Key this weekend!

I guess that's easier than driving to Vermont and waiting in line there too. After going to the Veil on the day of their Veil/Trillium mixer (and not getting any Trillium beer), I knew better than to go to anything Hill Farmstead related.

Ooof... that hurts, I heard nothing but terrible things about that event. I can only hope that things are better in a few weeks (my assumption is it will be based on guarantees/tickets for pours and limited amounts of people per session).

HF doesn't really have lines anymore post expansion.

In fairness I should say drove by the Veil before the opening of the Trillium mixer, line was too long, went to Stone then Triple Crossing (for their excellent NE DIPA), then back to Veil where Trillium sold out as we waited in line for the last of it. I'm done with those kinds of shitshows.

I'd assume a grizzled vet such as yourself would know the in and outs of such a shitshow.

Space Freely

« Reply #8072 on: April 04, 2017, 08:59:12 pm »
So I'm watching the Rolling Stones Crossfire Hurricane documentary on Netflix and at the 1:14 mark they are in the South of France in 1972 recording "Loving Cup" from Exlie and there amidst their shit is a can of Coors beer. Was Coors even exported to France in 1972? Or did the Stones special order it all the way from Colorado?

hutch

« Reply #8073 on: April 04, 2017, 10:43:53 pm »
So I'm watching the Rolling Stones Crossfire Hurricane documentary on Netflix and at the 1:14 mark they are in the South of France in 1972 recording "Loving Cup" from Exlie and there amidst their shit is a can of Coors beer. Was Coors even exported to France in 1972? Or did the Stones special order it all the way from Colorado?

wow..deep thought!

well, another possibility is they could have had someone bring it to them.. like Gram Parsons or Bobby Keys or any number of people that were visiting them at Nellcote and hanging around mooching...or more likely their drug dealers of which they must have a bunch would have also been able to get imported beer and any other contraband particularly in a place situated so close to the major port city of Marseille...where a lot of sketchiness always went on.. also to consider any number of cruise ships coming to the french riviera would have had American beer on board and they could have gotten it that way (again likely through dealers)

was beer that bad back then that Coors was considered worth drinking for a bunch of British guys? or were they trying to be American or something? Like its cool to drink American shit beer....

its funny how beer tastes change.. i remember when I was a kid that Heineken was considered pretty prestigious.. I'm talking early 80s...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 10:46:03 pm by hutch »

Space Freely

« Reply #8074 on: April 04, 2017, 10:54:37 pm »
This was discussed here:

http://shidoobeewithstonesdoug.yuku.com/reply/448076/Coors-Beer-at-Nellcote-in-1971#.WORfMoXTh3U

Another suggestion that perhaps Bobby Keys brought it to them.

hutch

« Reply #8075 on: April 04, 2017, 10:59:37 pm »
This was discussed here:

http://shidoobeewithstonesdoug.yuku.com/reply/448076/Coors-Beer-at-Nellcote-in-1971#.WORfMoXTh3U

no.. if you read it .. its clear: the picture is from the Los Angeles overdub sessions

remember they had sessions at Nellcote and then they worked on it in LA

so the premise of your question was sadly incorrect... oh well..

Space Freely

« Reply #8076 on: April 04, 2017, 11:02:53 pm »
This was discussed here:

no.. if you read it .. its clear: the picture is from the Los Angeles overdub sessions

remember they had sessions at Nellcote and then they worked on it in LA

so the premise of your question was sadly incorrect... oh well..

The picture in the article is not the same time and location as the scene from the movie. Sorry if my post confused matters. i'll go back and rewatch and verify tomorrow.

hutch

« Reply #8077 on: April 04, 2017, 11:05:30 pm »
there is nothing to rewatch

the picture in the bulletin board- and i used to be a stones freak myself but on IORR board-  is from a 1972 concert.. in fact it was used on the cover of the 72 ft worth bootleg but that is not what we're talking about

if you read the entire thread you get to the end and a poster clears it up...

Yada

« Reply #8078 on: April 05, 2017, 07:08:45 am »
Mounds of cocaine pairs nicely with watery beer, sounds like a match made in heaven.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #8079 on: April 05, 2017, 09:37:38 am »
every year, for the national homebrewers conference (recently renamed to "homebrewcon" - ugh), a local brewery produces a commemorative beer that is given to attendees.  in baltimore last year, Flying Dog handed out an amazing IPL called "Airwaves" - best one i've ever had.  this year's conference will be in minneapolis so Surly is stepping up to provide the beer... and with tongue firmly in cheek they will be handing out Whalezbrah! ;D

Mounds of cocaine pairs nicely with watery beer, sounds like a match made in heaven.

i thought champagne was the preferred accompaniment... jules?
<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #8080 on: April 05, 2017, 09:44:06 am »
i thought champagne was the preferred accompaniment... jules?
Jules doesn't do coke.
LVMH

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #8081 on: April 05, 2017, 04:42:24 pm »
Speaking of shitshows, I am at Tired Hands today. There is a can release  so the sidewalks are littered with empty chairs  that will eventually be filled by folks in line to get cans.

I'm inside having a pint. The beer is fine but no chance I would ever wait for it.

Space Freely

« Reply #8082 on: April 05, 2017, 04:46:47 pm »
Speaking of shitshows, I am at Tired Hands today. There is a can release  so the sidewalks are littered with empty chairs  that will eventually be filled by folks in line to get cans.

I'm inside having a pint. The beer is fine but no chance I would ever wait for it.

I have been to both Tired Hands places (prefer the café) a couple of times, and agree with you on the beer.

Yada

« Reply #8083 on: April 05, 2017, 04:54:37 pm »
Couldn't agree more with the above thoughts on Tired Hands... Haven't ever had a beer from there that's really blown me away and their "milkshake" series is down right gross (I think I just don't like vanilla/massive floaties in my beer).... and well, Philly. Eeeew.

Where's everyone drankin' next week?

« Reply #8084 on: April 05, 2017, 07:21:11 pm »
Where's everyone drankin' next week?
figures Arlington's spring break is that week
so won't be don't any of the dc stuff
slack