Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243889 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #4875 on: September 23, 2014, 08:54:18 pm »
Made it to four of them so far this year (Crooked Stave, Night Shift, Oxbow, and um Bluejacket) with plans to visit a fifth (Tired Hands) later this month.

LOL, but good list.

http://draftmag.com/features/25-breweries-you-should-know/

stevewizzle

« Reply #4876 on: September 24, 2014, 12:29:17 am »
Made it to four of them so far this year (Crooked Stave, Night Shift, Oxbow, and um Bluejacket) with plans to visit a fifth (Tired Hands) later this month.

LOL, but good list.

this is an excellent list.  i had HF earl over the weekend at spuyten duyvil.  they really do make incredible beer. 

the shout outs to logsdon and de garde are warranted.  super unique in their own right. and anchorage and tree house are simply incredible. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 12:32:01 am by stevewizzle »

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #4877 on: September 24, 2014, 10:05:49 am »
Between Two to the Dome and Orange Whip, it was a stellar evening for District Drafts at Nats Park last night.

fatskippy

« Reply #4878 on: September 24, 2014, 10:18:44 am »
has anyone come across a picture of Engert where he doesn't look like a complete douche nozzle?

i haven't.

I've never seen him in clothing that fits. He isn't nearly as thin as he thinks he is.

Yada

« Reply #4879 on: September 24, 2014, 12:49:50 pm »
and then the beer gods rained down on me...Phish comes through again, even when you can't make the show.  ;D

Case of Heady Topper
Four pack of fiddlehead
One Lawsons Sip of Sunshine
Two Lawsons Double Dose IPA
Three 750 ML Hill Farmstead Growlers - S+S #7, Earl, Abner (these won't last more than a few days)
HF Dorothy
HF Grassroots Convivial Suaréz
Siren Collab - Lemon Cello IPA

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4880 on: September 24, 2014, 03:33:28 pm »
and then the beer gods rained down on me...Phish comes through again, even when you can't make the show.  ;D

Case of Heady Topper
Four pack of fiddlehead
One Lawsons Sip of Sunshine
Two Lawsons Double Dose IPA
Three 750 ML Hill Farmstead Growlers - S+S #7, Earl, Abner (these won't last more than a few days)
HF Dorothy
HF Grassroots Convivial Suaréz
Siren Collab - Lemon Cello IPA

bottle share in 10 days, woohooo!!!

;D
<sig>

brennser

« Reply #4881 on: September 25, 2014, 11:32:33 am »
Been to 6 of them

Tasted 17

LOL, but good list.

« Reply #4882 on: September 26, 2014, 02:04:43 pm »

Is that breast pump I see in the background
is there a mini-yada rolling around the house?
slack

James Ford

« Reply #4883 on: September 26, 2014, 03:37:10 pm »
If Yada brings a milk stout to a bottle share, I aint drinking it.

Is that breast pump I see in the background
is there a mini-yada rolling around the house?

James Ford

« Reply #4884 on: September 26, 2014, 03:37:42 pm »
What percentile do you guys fall into?

Christopher Ingraham
The Washington Post
Do you drink a glass of wine with dinner every night? That puts you in the top 30 percent of American adults in terms of per-capita alcohol consumption. If you drink two glasses, that would put you in the top 20 percent.
But to break into the top 10 percent of American drinkers, you would need to drink more than two bottles of wine with every dinner. And you'd still be below-average among those top 10 percenters.
The top 10 percent of American drinkers -- 24 million adults over age 18 -- consume, on average, 74 alcoholic drinks per week. That works out to a little more than four-and-a-half 750 ml bottles of Jack Daniels, 18 bottles of wine, or three 24-can cases of beer. In one week.
Or, if you prefer, 10 drinks per day.
These figures come from Philip J. Cook's "Paying the Tab," an economically minded examination of the costs and benefits of alcohol control in the U.S. I double-checked these figures with Cook, just to make sure I wasn't reading them wrong. "I agree that it's hard to imagine consuming 10 drinks a day," he told me. But, "there are a remarkable number of people who drink a couple of six packs a day, or a pint of whiskey."
As Cook notes in his book, the top 10 percent of drinkers account for well over half of the alcohol consumed in any given year. On the other hand, people in the bottom three deciles don't drink at all, and even the median consumption among those who do drink is just three beverages per week.
The shape of this usage curve isn't exactly unique. The Pareto Law states that "the top 20 percent of buyers for most any consumer product account for fully 80 percent of sales," according to Cook. The rule can be applied to everything from hair care products to X-Boxes.
But the consequences of the Pareto Law are different when it comes to industries like alcohol, tobacco and now marijuana. If you consume 10 plus drinks per day, for instance, you almost certainly have a drinking problem. But the beverage industry is heavily dependent on you for their profits.
"One consequence is that the heaviest drinkers are of greatly disproportionate importance to the sales and profitability of the alcoholic beverage industry," he writes writes. "If the top decile somehow could be induced to curb their consumption level to that of the next lower group (the ninth decile), then total ethanol sales would fall by 60 percent."

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4885 on: September 26, 2014, 03:42:59 pm »
I'm not ten drinks in a day, but I'm more than 3 drinks a week, probably.
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4886 on: September 26, 2014, 03:53:02 pm »

James Ford

« Reply #4887 on: September 26, 2014, 04:22:51 pm »
A Stone kegerator in the State House. Nice.

City of Richmond News
McAuliffe: 'We have got to get' Stone Brewing

Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 12:53 pm
 BY GRAHAM MOOMAW Richmond Times-Dispatch

The campaign to woo Stone Brewing Co. has expanded to the Virginia governor's mansion, where Gov. Terry McAuliffe said he has installed a kegerator that dispenses beer from the California-based craft brewer.

"I had to sit and drink beer with these guys at the mansion the other night," McAuliffe said Thursday morning on WRVA's "Ask the Governor" radio show. "It's between us and Ohio. We've got to get it here in Virginia. This is where Stone ought to be."

McAuliffe also said he had traveled to San Diego to meet with the company.

"I've got to tell you, I'm excited," McAuliffe said. "I have worked this like a dog."

Stone, which is looking to build its first facility east of the Mississippi River, has narrowed its search to Richmond, Norfolk and Columbus, Ohio.

Two locations in Richmond are being considered: one on publicly owned land in the Greater Fulton area east of downtown and one in the private Reynolds South development planned for Manchester.

The involvement of McAuliffe, a former chairman of the Democratic National Committee known for his extensive political and business connections, likely helps Virginia's standing in a high-profile economic development competition that spanned several states.

Another factor that may boost Virginia's prospects is Ohio's restriction on beers with an alcohol content higher than 12 percent. Some of Stone's beers exceed that threshold, and The Columbus Dispatch reported this week that Stone has told Ohio lawmakers that the alcohol cap is a factor in its decision on where to locate. A bill introduced in the Ohio General Assembly would raise the state's limit from 12 percent alcohol by volume to 21 percent.

There's no limit in Virginia.

Stone is expected to announce its decision in the coming weeks or months.

"Hopefully we'll hear something soon," McAuliffe said. "Ohio. We're gonna beat 'em."​

stevewizzle

« Reply #4888 on: September 26, 2014, 05:17:11 pm »
it's the most wonderful time of the year: fresh hop season

off to go drink a couple cowiche canyons over at bottleworks and buy all the fresh hop beers i can find.  joy!

James Ford

« Reply #4889 on: September 26, 2014, 05:36:52 pm »
Chart could use some more bold colors@!

What I find amazing is that between 60-70% of people have less that one drink per WEEK. And most of them are likely still fat.

Here's the link, with all the charty goodness

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/09/25/think-you-drink-a-lot-this-chart-will-tell-you/