Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243994 times)

stevewizzle

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #5130 on: December 22, 2014, 07:30:19 pm »
swung by de garde brewing on sunday to find out they were closed due to the flooding.  was real bummed because our plan was to stop in and take a nice long break from driving down the coast to california, and really, there's nothing else around tillamook.  they had a nice note posted on the door to call with any questions if you came from out of town.  i called the number to see if there was anywhere around town i could buy their beers since i've never had them before, and the nice women on the phone asked if i could wait 15 minutes, and that she'd come down and open up.

about 20 minutes later, we were inside de garde, just the three of us, tasting their four beers they had on tap (bu, berry bu, stone bu, and cran bu), shooting the shit with the co-owner.  i bought 1.5 cases of their beer, exchanged the only beer i had with me in the car (a fremont 4-pack) as a thanks, and left humbled and more or less speechless about the whole situation.

two things really stuck out.  one - i hope i can one day have a profession where i'd go that far out of my way to show how much i care about my work, and two - their beer is fucking amazing.  the labeling, the ingredients, the process, the prices... it's all stuck out as completely original without escaping the idea that it's just beer. 

i very much look forward to opening bottles of their bu, mperial peach bu, boysen, lucy, and petite desay that i purchased, and hope i can make it back there soon to drink more of their beer.

Yada

« Reply #5131 on: December 22, 2014, 07:54:48 pm »
Drunk walky is back for good.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #5132 on: December 22, 2014, 07:56:15 pm »
Gurrl

« Reply #5133 on: December 23, 2014, 10:16:20 am »
not beer, but I joined this wine club where we get some bottles delivered a few times a year
prices are really good and the wifey isn't too picky as long it's the type she likes (pinot noir)
But we got two bottles of this and it's not a bad wine, but I can only wonder if this brand is really regretting their name choice

Too bad James isn't here to make some inappropriate comment

Although you do need to use a really big knife to get the cork off  :o
slack

hutch

« Reply #5134 on: December 23, 2014, 11:43:03 am »
so why does some beer freeze at certain temperatures while other does not?

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #5135 on: December 23, 2014, 11:47:18 am »
Alcohol content?

hutch

« Reply #5136 on: December 23, 2014, 11:55:39 am »
Alcohol content?

yeah the one that doesn't freeze is 10% Beer Thousand.. and the other that does freeze is yuengling

so alcohol content makes the difference?

stevewizzle

« Reply #5137 on: December 23, 2014, 01:08:15 pm »
Alcohol content?

yeah the one that doesn't freeze is 10% Beer Thousand.. and the other that does freeze is yuengling

so alcohol content makes the difference?

yes.

freezing point of water = 32*F
freezing point of ethanol (alcohol) = -179*f

freezing point of a 5% beer = 22*F
freezing point off a 10% beer = 11*F

the 10% beer should likely freeze overtime.

Bagley

« Reply #5138 on: December 23, 2014, 02:00:27 pm »
any opinion on who makes the most tasty sessionable IPA?   I like the Go to by Stone but that's as far as I've gotten.

« Reply #5139 on: December 23, 2014, 02:53:06 pm »

freezing point of water = 32*F
freezing point of ethanol (alcohol) = -179*f

freezing point of a 5% beer = 22*F
freezing point off a 10% beer = 11*F

the 10% beer should likely freeze overtime.
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #5140 on: December 23, 2014, 02:53:22 pm »
LOL
LVMH

stevewizzle

« Reply #5141 on: December 24, 2014, 02:45:47 am »
nice

stevewizzle

« Reply #5142 on: December 24, 2014, 02:48:40 am »
any opinion on who makes the most tasty sessionable IPA?   I like the Go to by Stone but that's as far as I've gotten.

whatever is freshest. its a good rule of thumb for any IPA, but i find session IPAs to fade incredibly fast in quality.  founders all day IPA might be my favorite fresh.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #5143 on: December 24, 2014, 06:06:20 pm »

Stone Go To is probably my favorite session IPA, but make sure to check the bottles for the freshest date possible.

Looking forward to popping open a Hardywood Gingerbread Stout tonight!

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #5144 on: December 26, 2014, 03:33:34 pm »
im all about barley wines.  never had them, now i like them.  and they are everywhere.  going to try something called 

avery  hog heaven