Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243795 times)

Yada

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #6435 on: February 23, 2016, 12:34:39 pm »
Mighty nice draft list here. Bet at least a few of them will be leftover for the all draft $4 Happy Hour on Monday.

FIRESTONE TAP TAKEOVER AT GEORGETOWN ON FEBRUARY 27
Saturday, February 27, 2016
11:30am 11:00pm 11:30 23:00
?   Pizzeria Paradiso Georgetown3282 M St NW Washington, DC United States
Draft List
?   Firestone Walker Velvet Merkin
?   FIrestone Walker Helldorado
?   Firestone Walker XVIIII
?   Firestone Walker Velvet Merlin
?   Firestone Walker XVII
?   Firestone Double DBA
?   Firestone Sucuba
?   Firestone XVI
?   Firestone Walker Stickee Monkee
?   2 different Firestone Walker Barrelworks Series beers

Too many beer events, not enough free time.

A keg of cantillon gueuze was tapped at The Sovereign last night and on the date before this event listed above, there's a Jester King event at The Black Squirrel.

walk,on,by

« Reply #6436 on: February 23, 2016, 01:05:37 pm »
do you think that you spend too much money on beer anything?  all you do, or buy, that involves beer?  sometimes, I think I do, and I wonder if it just better to be happy with food lion cases of something like sierra or red stripe or sam adams or becks or star hill or devils backbone?

Yada

« Reply #6437 on: February 23, 2016, 01:06:39 pm »
do you think that you spend too much money on beer anything?  all you do, or buy, that involves beer?  sometimes, I think I do, and I wonder if it just better to be happy with food lion cases of something like sierra or red stripe or sam adams or becks or star hill or devils backbone?

not really.... I don't spend much money on anything other than beer, music, and food.

Space Freely

« Reply #6438 on: February 23, 2016, 01:13:14 pm »

I do spend too much money on beer.

Yes, I do think I could be reasonably happy just drinking the standard line of Sierra Nevada products (but not the others you list).

But my beer buying is not so excessive that it prevents me from affording things i actually need.

The end.

« Reply #6439 on: February 23, 2016, 01:19:43 pm »
what were the beer bars/breweries to hit in Richmond?
Friend was asking and I know a few places were namedropped here
Stone isn't on line yet?
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6440 on: February 23, 2016, 01:22:33 pm »
warning: the following announcement is unlikely to interest more than one or two people here ;D

the National Homebrewers Conference (HomebrewCon) will take place in Baltimore from thursday june 9 to saturday june 11.  i cannot recommend strongly enough that homebrewers attend this.  hell, non-homebrewers might want to attend as a cheap beer-cation.  homebrewed and commerical beer is flowing all day and most of the night, great seminars, vendor exhibits with tons of samples/giveaways, evening events, amazing after-parties (for the really hardy), blah blah... this will be my third time attending.  last year i flew out to san diego for it so it's a treat to be local this year.  unlikely that it will be this close again for another decade.

http://www.homebrewcon.org/
registration opens on march 8: http://www.homebrewcon.org/registration/details/
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #6441 on: February 23, 2016, 01:49:54 pm »
what were the beer bars/breweries to hit in Richmond?
Friend was asking and I know a few places were namedropped here
Stone isn't on line yet?

Best place to drink beer (and eat Vietnamese, imo) is Mekong. And it's sister establishment, the Answer Brewpub. Mekong has a draft list that's as good as, or better than Churchkey. At like half the cost. The Answer also has a fantastic draft list, inclusing their own beers, andis making IPA's as good as or better than Ocelot and Aslin. They're next door to each other in a nondescript strip mall, so you can hit them both.

If friend is willing to drive out of the way a bit, Lickinghole Creek, in Goochland is great. Farmhouse style brewery, really nice to hang out outside on a good weather day. Solid beers all around.

Triple Crossing, downtown, makes some really good IPA's.

I've always found their beers underwhelming, but others swear by Hardywood. A boisterous scene on a Saturday afternoon, with live music and a plethora of fat chicks.

There are others, but those are the ones I picked after doing my homework.

The Stone taproom opens March 3. Just had their soft opening.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #6442 on: February 23, 2016, 01:57:28 pm »
 Exactly what Rhett said but add strangeways to your list. Licking hole Creek in strange ways are the serious beer drinkers breweries in town and hearty what is basically place you go see bands play.
LVMH

« Reply #6443 on: February 23, 2016, 02:00:11 pm »
warning: the following announcement is unlikely to interest more than one or two people here ;D
I've been thinking of starting a homebrew thread...but now we lost the Wizzing Fart ...it'd probably just be me an you....

are their any other homebrewers on the list

Thanks for the RVA beer recos too!
I knew I'd get a quick, but detailed answer
slack

« Reply #6444 on: February 24, 2016, 12:20:52 pm »
I tried the Bell's Expedition Stout at my local pub last night. It was quite good. 1 turned into 3. 3 turned into a massive headache this morning.
LVMH

« Reply #6445 on: February 24, 2016, 12:22:06 pm »
I tried the Bell's Expedition Stout at my local pub last night. It was quite good. 1 turned into 3. 3 turned into a massive headache this morning.
10.5 ABV...how many oz pours
I love Russian imperial stouts...will have to search this one out
slack

« Reply #6446 on: February 24, 2016, 12:23:17 pm »
12oz pours
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #6447 on: February 24, 2016, 12:24:10 pm »

Any idea when Bell's Black Note comes out?

I've had one bottle (I think there was a one 12 oz bottle limit when i go it) sitting for a couple of years now, haven't seen it released again.

Space Freely

« Reply #6448 on: February 24, 2016, 12:25:33 pm »
12oz pours

Three of those is like six cans of Bud in terms of intoxication. Obviously not in terms of taste.

« Reply #6449 on: February 24, 2016, 12:25:58 pm »
Any idea when Bell's Black Note comes out?
I do not, but that same pub is having a Bell's dinner tomorrow night with a Bell's rep and I can find out for you.
LVMH