Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243965 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #3690 on: October 28, 2013, 03:45:28 pm »
$8.49/ four pack at Total Wine. $9.99 at Whole Foods.

8.7abv

That's what I said until I tried Victory DirtWolf. And Victory IS making DirtWolf a regular offering.

1)  if Flying Dog makes this a regular offering it will be my go-to. 

thanks for the heads-up.  will keep my eyes open for this one.

EDIT - no wonder this one is a winner, from Victory's webpage for Dirtwolf:
"Hops: Whole flower Citra, Chinook, Simcoe and Mosaic hops" <-- 4 excellent hops that taste excellent together.  gotta be an expensive beer to make, except for chinook those hops aren't cheap.

James Ford

« Reply #3691 on: October 28, 2013, 03:48:06 pm »
Did anybody have a chance to try DC Brau Alpha Domina Mellis? Not saying it's as good as OTWOA, but we tried it side by side with Maine Beer Company's Zoe at Churchkey Saturday night and it was every bit as good as that beer, which itself is excellent.

brennser

« Reply #3692 on: October 29, 2013, 10:06:57 am »
its disgusting beyond belief

its also their biggest selling beer and they are expanding capacity to brew more of it - I guess there no accounting for taste
I tried a taste of that and found it truly repulsive.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1924/88269.  tried one last night and wasn't impressed.  the taste was ok but the aroma was off-putting.  i'll give it another chance tonight, maybe that was a bad bottle. 

K8teebug

« Reply #3693 on: October 29, 2013, 11:54:06 am »
I cannot bring myself to even try that beer.  People seem to really love it though.

I want my beer to taste like BEER.

Right now, I'm really loving Southern Tier Harvest and I've been in a Guinness mood recently too.

James Ford

« Reply #3694 on: October 29, 2013, 01:03:25 pm »
The guy doing the tasting described it as "going down like a Tootsie Roll and finishing like a Reese's"

I actually just had this beer:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/triple-digit-chickow/187696/

...which tasted like liquid Nutella, and it was actually quite good.

I cannot bring myself to even try that beer.  People seem to really love it though.

I want my beer to taste like BEER.

Right now, I'm really loving Southern Tier Harvest and I've been in a Guinness mood recently too.

stevewizzle

« Reply #3695 on: October 29, 2013, 01:29:20 pm »
i've had it.  there were a bunch of pretty decent homebrewed variations of peanut butter porters at the national homebrew conference, so i decided to try it at churchkey when i saw it.  i digged it, but only could do a taster.  i remember really enjoying it when it was cold, and then it warmed up and wasn't so tasty.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3696 on: October 29, 2013, 09:17:36 pm »
its disgusting beyond belief

its also their biggest selling beer and they are expanding capacity to brew more of it - I guess there no accounting for taste
I tried a taste of that and found it truly repulsive.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1924/88269.  tried one last night and wasn't impressed.  the taste was ok but the aroma was off-putting.  i'll give it another chance tonight, maybe that was a bad bottle. 

well, i now i have 4 bottles that i'm not going to drink... so i'll bring them to the next bottle share ;D
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3697 on: October 30, 2013, 01:29:37 am »

8.7abv

That's what I said until I tried Victory DirtWolf. And Victory IS making DirtWolf a regular offering.

"Hops: Whole flower Citra, Chinook, Simcoe and Mosaic hops" <-- 4 excellent hops that taste excellent together.  gotta be an expensive beer to make, except for chinook those hops aren't cheap.

according to http://flyingdogales.com/beers/the-truth/, The Truth is a year-round offering.

hops: Warrior (most likely for bittering only), Summit, CTZ, Citra, Amarillo... oh yeah.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #3698 on: October 30, 2013, 08:43:57 am »
it hasn't appeared in VA yet. I got mine when it first came out in DC. Haven't seen it since then. Not that  I do that much beer shopping in DC, beyond Whole Foods.

8.7abv

according to http://flyingdogales.com/beers/the-truth/, The Truth is a year-round offering.

hops: Warrior (most likely for bittering only), Summit, CTZ, Citra, Amarillo... oh yeah.

Yada

« Reply #3699 on: October 30, 2013, 09:30:10 am »
Picked up four packs of Dirt Wolf and Breakfast Stoudt last night, lookin' forward to diggin' in.

Has Harvest Ale by Founders popped up anywhere?

Disregard that question, it has landed in DC.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 10:48:39 am by Yada »

James Ford

« Reply #3700 on: October 30, 2013, 01:10:54 pm »
Did anybody pick up Boulevard Bourbon Barrel Quad? I snagged one, but wish I had grabbed an extra so I could have one now and age the other.

Never had Founders Harvest Ale. Doesn't seem to be out my way in VA yet, so hope I can get some!

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #3701 on: October 30, 2013, 09:20:45 pm »
Currently drinking a Port Brewing Mongo IPA and paired it with a homemade pizza. Great stuff.

brennser

« Reply #3702 on: October 31, 2013, 08:58:23 am »
Founders Harvest Ale is a huge disappointment this year - ABV is up and hops have been dialed back, at least to my palate

Yada

« Reply #3703 on: October 31, 2013, 09:01:35 am »
Founders Harvest Ale is a huge disappointment this year - ABV is up and hops have been dialed back, at least to my palate

And extremely overpriced, MacGruder's and Rodman's seem to have bumped the cost of a four pack up by at least $4 to $5.

brennser

« Reply #3704 on: October 31, 2013, 09:24:17 am »

And extremely overpriced, MacGruder's and Rodman's seem to have bumped the cost of a four pack up by at least $4 to $5.
yeah $14.99 at Magruders - holy shit!