Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 10073243 times)

Cock Van Der Palm

Re: Just Announced
« Reply #55725 on: April 27, 2024, 09:40:51 pm »
And if there happens to be one or two, would they ever admit to it?

I am calling it!

Zero

Sweetcell is really struggling lately….

No 1 Suki Waterhouse fan!!

« Reply #55726 on: April 27, 2024, 10:08:09 pm »
Foreigner has ZERO original members touring as Foreigner so not sure what there is to like? It’s basically an authorized tribute act.

And Styx without Dennis DeYoung? I guess at least they have ONE original band member left!!!!

I suppose someone who likes tribute bands could be into it but are you even seeing Foreigner or Styx?

More_Coffee

« Reply #55727 on: April 28, 2024, 01:45:10 pm »
Akshually... Styx has two original members left. JY and Chuck Panozzo. However, Tommy Shaw is practically an original member, kind of like Gilmour not being "original" in Pink Floyd but close enough, and an integral member for all their significant stuff. And continuing with the analogy, is Styx without Dennis DeYoung kind of like Pink Floyd without Roger Waters? It might be better. The Shaw/JY songs have held up much better.

No longer a huge fan, and never seen them when I was, I'd still check them out on a lark, in a hassle-free venue (not Jiffy Lube). They'd be a great Birchmere act. Also, Foreigner is almost Starship-level bad, nails-on-chalkboard bad. That's enough to keep me away.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 01:48:00 pm by More_Coffee »

« Reply #55728 on: April 28, 2024, 02:00:32 pm »
But Chuck doesn’t tour with them anymore?

More_Coffee

« Reply #55729 on: April 28, 2024, 02:05:25 pm »
But Chuck doesn’t tour with them anymore?

I stand corrected. See that's what I get for never seeing Styx live.

Space Freely

« Reply #55730 on: April 28, 2024, 02:22:32 pm »
Is Foreigner the worst act ever selected for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

« Reply #55731 on: April 28, 2024, 03:45:15 pm »
Oh I doubt that…..personally I find many more hideous acts. But for sure they aren’t deserving….

This year’s inductees - other than ATCQ- make up the worst class I have seen….

More_Coffee

« Reply #55732 on: April 28, 2024, 04:25:54 pm »
Is ATCQ "rock?" Aren't they rappers?
Frampton and Ozzy are the only rockers in this year's class, and they deserve to be in a rock HOF.
Arguably DMB is rock, but they are undeserving.

Many inductees are undoubtedly among the greatest in their genre but they don't belong in a "rock and roll" hall of fame.
All the rap, hip-hop, disco, and pure country/folk acts... should be removed.
Or they should just rename it the "popular music" hall of fame.

You know who DOES belong in the rock and roll HOF?
Styx.

« Reply #55733 on: April 28, 2024, 04:59:58 pm »
as far as the hall is concerned the term rock and roll means modern popular music. I hear you but like more than thirty years in probably need to accept it…

Styx? Yeah, hugely influential band…on like nobody. I suppose there are a few bands that have aged worse (Kansas?) but not many….
« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 05:02:05 pm by Hutch »

« Reply #55734 on: April 28, 2024, 06:49:36 pm »
Is Foreigner the worst act ever selected for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

I mean just looking at THIS class I would take Foreigner over Frampton (as a solo act his stuff with Humble Pie doesn’t enter equation), Cher (she is talented but ever try to listen to those Sonny and Cher albums? Execrable) or Dave Matthews Band (I have tried but find so little to like)…

Foreigner has a lot of good classic rock songs. They may be mostly not very creative and meat and potatoes by the numbers but still…and say what you will but Lou Gramm could sing. Still, they wouldn’t be in my Hall!!

Yada

« Reply #55735 on: April 29, 2024, 10:12:05 am »
Marylin Manson

Space Freely

« Reply #55736 on: April 29, 2024, 10:22:37 am »
Marylin Manson

In the Rock and Roll HOF? No, just no.

And Styx and Foreigner? Definitely not. Though I did like Foreigner when I was 10 or 11. In fact, in our elementary school talent show, I dressed up as a Star Wars Tuscan Raider character using a paper mache mask, and my brother and a friend also wore paper mache masks, and we did a version of "Hot Blooded" (no actual singing or playing, we just acted it out as the record played., I was the lead singer.) And there was this kid who did a talent show act using "Mr. Roboto" where he started smashing shit onstage. But in spite of those glorious events, still no RNRHOF for those two acts.

I think the RNRHOF is too much of a participation trophy thing. Like at FCPS graduation, where they ask anyone who had a WGPA of 4.0+ to stand, and half the class stands. There's just too many acts they let in. And grade inflation is a thing. Even if we have lots of smart kids in this area.

« Reply #55737 on: April 29, 2024, 11:26:09 am »
Marilyn Manson
FSS
A day

nkotb

« Reply #55738 on: April 29, 2024, 11:43:36 am »
My take is that no hip hop or R&B or country acts should be in the RNRHF but also no one else should either because it's dumb.

« Reply #55739 on: April 29, 2024, 11:51:29 am »
BOOM!