Author Topic: Dropping Like Flies  (Read 2634736 times)

Space Freely

Yada

Re: Dropping Like Flies
« Reply #10291 on: May 13, 2024, 01:03:35 pm »
ended up stumbling upon the Albini/Garcia video this weekend... Also stumbled upon accusations of him being a pedophile. What are the deetz on that?

hutch

« Reply #10292 on: May 13, 2024, 01:21:14 pm »
All I know is he posted crazy stuff on internet but claimed he was an @Edgelord”

I didn’t want to bring it up cuz he just died

Gotta be honest that I think all the hype around his recording is way overdone…but that’s just my personal opinion

Space Freely

« Reply #10293 on: May 13, 2024, 01:30:21 pm »
ended up stumbling upon the Albini/Garcia video this weekend... Also stumbled upon accusations of him being a pedophile. What are the deetz on that?

Your google is as good as my google. I feel repulsion just reading this.

https://medium.com/@MoonMetropolis/now-that-steve-albini-is-dead-lets-reflect-on-his-admitted-love-and-promotion-of-child-fadf5072288e

hutch

« Reply #10294 on: May 13, 2024, 02:32:38 pm »
Google is also your enemy. Incredible amounts of baseless stories.

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #10295 on: May 13, 2024, 02:45:58 pm »

DavidSanborn
@DavidSanborn
·
2h
It is with sad and heavy hearts that we convey to you the loss of internationally renowned, 6 time Grammy Award-winning, saxophonist, David Sanborn. Mr. Sanborn passed Sunday afternoon, May 12th, after an extended battle with prostate cancer with complications.

Yada

« Reply #10296 on: Today at 08:28:00 am »
David Coleman, of 3 Stars fame.

bearman🐻

« Reply #10297 on: Today at 10:29:49 am »
All I know is he posted crazy stuff on internet but claimed he was an @Edgelord”

I didn’t want to bring it up cuz he just died

Gotta be honest that I think all the hype around his recording is way overdone…but that’s just my personal opinion
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/postscript/the-beautiful-rawness-of-steve-albini

Part of Albini's lore is that a long time ago he'd say controversial things to be antagonistic. I recommend reading this article to have what I believe is a more balanced, fair, and unfiltered take on both his good side and his flawed side. I wouldn't put a lot of stock on how much is out there. Steve didn't give a shit if a quote got attributed to him with something he didn't say. I actually was at his house once where someone was asking him if he said something, and he admitted being quoted even though he didn't actually say it...because that was part of his dark sense of humor. Sometimes we scrutinize people, especially after they pass, because we tend to ignore all their flaws and instead turn them into idols or saints. Albini would revile that. He knew he wasn't perfect, and he owned that. But as for what you dig up online, there were a lot of people who hated him, and that was not something that bothered him. He didn't expect everyone to like him. That was not his purpose. And that's the same with his production. You don't like it? It's not for you. That's deliberate. For someone like me, there is nothing more satisfying than the shattering snares and scuzzy guitar feedback on "Rub Til It Bleeds" by PJ Harvey, or the rollicking thunder of "Do You Still Hate Me?" by Jawbreaker, or the visceral violence of "Cables" by Big Black. This was an aural aesthetic that wasn't just unprecedented, it defined the sound of the city of Chicago and beyond, and the way he worked reminded people not to overthink what they were doing. I like thinking about Steve because of what I somehow learned from him through osmosis. I love hearing his impact on people that I know. I am still feel incredibly raw about his passing. You can learn a lot from someone who changes the way you think about the world through their work because it's ultimately about the power of the work that shapes the value of how you see things.

hutch

« Reply #10298 on: Today at 10:44:00 am »
Like I said am sorry for your loss.

I am not saying anything about Albini’s personal life And don’t wish to explore it as it’s of no interest to me.

As far as professional wise he worked on some albums that are masterpieces and he should get some credit for them and likewise he worked on some albums I expected more from like the Stooges and Page Plant.