Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2689995 times)

xcanuck

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #1815 on: November 30, 2009, 11:32:48 am »
Trying to decide between Sloan and DMST/Years/Charles Spearin on Tuesday. What the hell has happened to Sloan that makes them play a freaking coffee shop? (OK - it could be a few mediocre releases in the recent past). *sigh* Still, leaning towards Sloan simply because I can't tolerate the lack of public transportation options in the H St area.

But I will venture out there for Land of Talk at the RnR Hotel on Thursday. I thought their album "Some Are Lakes" was one of the best albums from last year. Elizabeth Powell is one hell of a guitar player.

eltee

« Reply #1816 on: November 30, 2009, 11:18:06 pm »
I'd go to Sloan to see them in a small venue and the sound is always really good there.

Christine Moritz

« Reply #1817 on: December 01, 2009, 12:42:19 am »
Where are Sloan playing?

Didn't they play the Black Cat last time they were here?

xcanuck

« Reply #1818 on: December 01, 2009, 09:54:46 am »
Where are Sloan playing?

Didn't they play the Black Cat last time they were here?
Yup - they played to a half full mainstage at the Cat. They're at Jammin Java tonite. Ugh. See y'all there. By the way, the openers (Magneta Lane) are worth seeing. I believe their producer is Moe Berg (from The Pursuit of Happiness).

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1819 on: December 01, 2009, 10:02:16 am »
If I were you, I'd see the Do Make Say Think show. Reviews have been very positive on their current tour.

I've only seen Sloan once over 10 years ago...I walked out. Maybe they've gotten better though...

Trying to decide between Sloan and DMST/Years/Charles Spearin on Tuesday. What the hell has happened to Sloan that makes them play a freaking coffee shop? (OK - it could be a few mediocre releases in the recent past). *sigh* Still, leaning towards Sloan simply because I can't tolerate the lack of public transportation options in the H St area.

But I will venture out there for Land of Talk at the RnR Hotel on Thursday. I thought their album "Some Are Lakes" was one of the best albums from last year. Elizabeth Powell is one hell of a guitar player.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 10:05:27 am by Hello Sunshine M! »
(_|_)

James Ford

« Reply #1820 on: December 01, 2009, 10:40:37 am »
If I were you, I'd see the Do Make Say Think show. Reviews have been very positive on their current tour.

I've only seen Sloan once over 10 years ago...I walked out. Maybe they've gotten better though...

I saw Sloan once. In 1993. I guess that makes me old.

I'll be at Elvis Perkins Wed.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1821 on: December 01, 2009, 11:01:25 am »
I'd be going to Sloan tonight but working the late shift  :(

At this point I'd dig "Twice Removed" start to finish.

Part of Sloan's problem is Andrew, he is deffo their weakest link with his songwriting and not always consistent drumming.  Jay is the most consistently good songwriter but only gets one or two songs per album.  Leaving Patrick and Chris to duke it over which RAWK band they want to emulate.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 01:01:17 pm by kosmo vinyl »
T.Rex

edbert

« Reply #1822 on: December 01, 2009, 11:48:52 am »
I'm a power pop fan, so I'm supposed to like Sloan, but I don't.  They just aren't bringing the hooks, except for some really good tunes that that one guitarist comes up with

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1823 on: December 01, 2009, 01:00:48 pm »
I'm a power pop fan, so I'm supposed to like Sloan, but I don't.  They just aren't bringing the hooks, except for some really good tunes that that one guitarist comes up with

That would be Jay and I didn't fact check myself in the previous post....
T.Rex

xcanuck

« Reply #1824 on: December 01, 2009, 02:35:16 pm »
It'll be interesting to see how energetic the show is. Murphy is usually the visual focal point but his collarbone was broken in a hit and run (hence name of the new EP) and apparently still has discomfort playing bass.

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #1825 on: December 01, 2009, 03:15:46 pm »
mr. p and i will be at sloan tonight. that's all him. i've never actually listened to them.
nothx

walkonby

« Reply #1826 on: December 01, 2009, 07:08:48 pm »
PHISH

DRUGS

SMELLY PEOPLE WITH FUCKING HORRIBLE DREADS

OLD PEOPLE TRYING TO STAY COOL AMOUNG THE YOUNGSTERS WHO HATE THEM FOR IT

GRILLED CHEESE

DOLLAR WATER

TWO DOLLAR BREW

SATURDAY

C-VILLE

Samantha

« Reply #1827 on: December 01, 2009, 08:00:53 pm »
Elvis Perkinsssss!!!!

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #1828 on: December 01, 2009, 08:40:55 pm »
PHISH

DRUGS

GRILLED CHEESE

DOLLAR WATER

TWO DOLLAR BREW

SATURDAY

C-VILLE
Man, a 3-9 season and Al Groh got fired and now this. POOR CHARLOTTESVILLE.

walkonby

« Reply #1829 on: December 01, 2009, 09:20:58 pm »
PHISH

DRUGS

GRILLED CHEESE

DOLLAR WATER

TWO DOLLAR BREW

SATURDAY

C-VILLE
Man, a 3-9 season and Al Groh got fired and now this. POOR CHARLOTTESVILLE.

if only one response to my post do i receive . . . i so enjoi that it shall forever be you that delivered.