Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2698714 times)

James Ford

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #2430 on: September 13, 2010, 10:58:41 pm »
I wasn't there but can tell you it was sort of meh.

None of you guys checking out Broken Social Scene at Warner??  ;D

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2431 on: September 13, 2010, 11:01:15 pm »
I don't think it's over the top at all. It was more like watching a cheap high school musical production. I'm referring to the shows
from 2008. They didn't do none of that shit last time around...unfortunately, I think it's back for this tour.

Their theatrics have gotten a bit over the top, but regardless Kevin always looks and sounds great. I do miss some of their earlier music that seems to have vanished, but they have a huge catalog so its hard to complain.

(_|_)

Hieronymus

« Reply #2432 on: September 14, 2010, 12:16:50 am »
Wow of Montreal was one of the worst shows I've ever been to... and I've seen them twice before and it's been good. Just Jesus Christ what a travesty of a show.

Janelle tore it up, though... I heard she actually refused to perform with of Montreal for some totally understandable reason.

Hieronymus

« Reply #2433 on: September 14, 2010, 12:17:37 am »
Just wow wow awful. Listening to Burzum and Sunn o))) to clear my head.

betao

« Reply #2434 on: September 14, 2010, 12:53:56 am »
What made it so awful?

Hieronymus

« Reply #2435 on: September 14, 2010, 01:12:11 am »
Only False Priest songs and like 3 from Hissing Fauna... huge stalls mid-show for pre-recorded video. Janelle supposedly refused to perform with them. Projections including pictures of Katrina or Haiti or something? 1/4 of the audience leaving. A focus on giant, mostly shitty (with a few cool exceptions) costumes/effects.

The vibe was also just off... really joyless, dark feel. This is a band that's past it's expiration date trying to make "art" instead of letting people have fun.

Also there was a major shitty Lady Gaga vibe with 6 million different kinds of full-body face-covering suits doing bad Bad Romance type moves onstage.

Everyone seemingly rushed the door when they were finished doing a gross Michael Jackson medley/grave-rolling session.

Obvious split between au courant, predominantly black Janelle fans and a really bleh crowd turnout for of Montreal.

Difficult to describe what made it so terrible, but something about it just made me (and, it seems, a lot of people) want to die.

Hieronymus

« Reply #2436 on: September 14, 2010, 01:13:46 am »
The always on-point Dave Malitz covers it well from hit twitter:

http://twitter.com/malitzd

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2437 on: September 14, 2010, 01:16:40 am »
So James Ford is going tomorrow for Janelle Monae and he's not black.....how do we categorize him.......hmmmmm
(_|_)

Hieronymus

« Reply #2438 on: September 14, 2010, 01:18:39 am »
Come on, Vas, I didn't mean that. There were a whole bunch of white Janelle fans too...

What I was getting at was that there were basically no black oM fans... and the race thing is kind of an issue now that they're making fake soul/funk/R+B/whathaveyou.

hutch

« Reply #2439 on: September 14, 2010, 08:52:44 am »
None of you guys checking out Broken Social Scene at Warner??  ;D

The Sea and the Cake was cool although John M was way too high on the mix (you would have thought he'd know better!).. .They only played 36 minutes though then a really long break then BSS... I left before end and Sam Prekop was at a little Sea and the Cake merch table looking bored/forlorn... I said "Hey, aren't you in the band.. you're Archer Prewitt!"...great just great... then I bought a record and had him sign it.. possibly the ugliest Sea and the Cake cover ever...great just great.. I'm sure Sam loved my comment "I got that one with the Bowie cover!"

James Ford

« Reply #2440 on: September 14, 2010, 09:23:26 am »
For those who did stay for the whole set, what was the start/finish time for Of Montreal?

Did Janelle go on at 8 sharp?

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #2441 on: September 14, 2010, 11:53:37 am »
For those who did stay for the whole set, what was the start/finish time for Of Montreal?

Did they do "Make the Bus" or "Enemy Gene" together?

Also, wow. I wasn't expecting this show to get such bad reviews. :(

I kind of had fun at the Of Montreal show in January!
Woof.

Christine Moritz

« Reply #2442 on: September 14, 2010, 12:17:02 pm »
Tonight (Tues. 9/14): Of Montreal/Janelle Monae

Thurs. 9/16: "The Sound of Rhythm & Culture" release party at Eighteenth Street Lounge

Fri. 9/17: Superchunk (and maybe Eighteenth Street Lounge afterward, for Fort Knox Five)

I'm a little apprehensive about tonight's show (well, the Of Montreal part) after reading that people were disappointed with last night's show.

On the other hand, since I'm jet-lagged and it's going to be a real effort to stay up tonight anyway, if the Of Montreal part sucks then it'll be that much easier to leave.  ;)

James Ford

« Reply #2443 on: September 14, 2010, 12:19:12 pm »
Two people out of 1000+ say it's bad, and hence the show is bad? I'll go and decide for myself.

Not surprised that 1/4 of the audience would leave before the end of OM. Janelle Monae is a headliner in her own right, and no doubt many were there explicitly to see her.

Did they do "Make the Bus" or "Enemy Gene" together?

Also, wow. I wasn't expecting this show to get such bad reviews. :(

I kind of had fun at the Of Montreal show in January!

Christine Moritz

« Reply #2444 on: September 14, 2010, 01:12:10 pm »
The always on-point Dave Malitz covers it well from hit twitter:

http://twitter.com/malitzd

My work blocks Twitter... can you copy-paste what he wrote?

(I was hoping it'd be cross-posted on the Washington Post website, but if it is, I can't find it.)