Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243898 times)

hutch

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #7050 on: June 27, 2016, 02:45:11 pm »
i bought this IPA with a pig on the can... man i do not like it.... tastes too much like grapefruity... and too strong...

medeski7

« Reply #7051 on: June 28, 2016, 09:19:10 am »
i bought this IPA with a pig on the can... man i do not like it.... tastes too much like grapefruity... and too strong...

Porkslap Pale Ale? 

I tried Space Reaper.  I thought it was pretty good.  I didn't see it as anything mind blowing.

Space Freely

« Reply #7052 on: June 28, 2016, 09:37:29 am »

Porkslap Pale Ale? 

I tried Space Reaper.  I thought it was pretty good.  I didn't see it as anything mind blowing.

I liked Space Reaper better when they called it Solar Abyss. The new name sounds too scifi/heavy metal/video game. Like it's a beer for dorks.

hutch

« Reply #7053 on: June 28, 2016, 10:23:36 am »

Porkslap Pale Ale? 

its called the poor righteous ipa and is brewed by the jailbreak brewing company

i am sorry but i cannot endorse this product.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7054 on: June 28, 2016, 10:46:04 am »

fair enough, but citrus is what most IPAs taste like these days and is a sought-after quality...

I liked Space Reaper better when they called it Solar Abyss. The new name sounds too scifi/heavy metal/video game. Like it's a beer for dorks.

you realize that we beer nerds are the definition of dorks?  so "space reaper" is on point for its core audience.

i was listening to an interview with a semi-famous brewer from CA (jeff bagby) and he admitted that he named all his IPAs to make fun of beer dorks, himself included: Nerd Herd, Dork Squad, Goof Troop, Boy Wonder, Dinkus... ;D
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #7055 on: June 28, 2016, 11:02:17 am »

Porkslap Pale Ale? 

its called the poor righteous ipa and is brewed by the jailbreak brewing company

i am sorry but i cannot endorse this product.

That's what you get for picking a beer whose name matches your personality.  ;)
I've sampled that beer and it's pretty average as far as IPA's go.
Their hefeweizen is very good. Try that. You won't get citrus flavors in that.

Space Freely

« Reply #7056 on: June 28, 2016, 11:07:41 am »

you realize that we beer nerds are the definition of dorks?  so "space reaper" is on point for its core audience.

i was listening to an interview with a semi-famous brewer from CA (jeff bagby) and he admitted that he named all his IPAs to make fun of beer dorks, himself included: Nerd Herd, Dork Squad, Goof Troop, Boy Wonder, Dinkus... ;D

In all honesty, I stole that opinion from my opinionated wife. Gotta give credit where credit is due!

I just don't think DC Brau is cutting it anymore for me now that Aslin and Ocelot are in town.

hutch

« Reply #7057 on: June 28, 2016, 11:14:18 am »

fair enough, but citrus is what most IPAs taste like these days and is a sought-after quality...

yeah...I tend to like IPAs but this one is too grapefruity.. i feel like I'm drinking a grapefruit with too much fizz!

I bought this because they were out of the DC Brau The Corruption at the Lost Dog PIzza when I picked up pizzas for our Copa America final party over at Grandpas Sunset apartment.......The Corruption is a good one...

medeski7

« Reply #7058 on: June 28, 2016, 11:35:10 am »
I think Denizens is making great beer.  I love their mildly sour stuff.  Their IPA and Belgian ale seem pretty average, but their more uncommon styles are really good.

Yada

« Reply #7059 on: June 28, 2016, 12:21:45 pm »
I think Denizens is making great beer.  I love their mildly sour stuff.  Their IPA and Belgian ale seem pretty average, but their more uncommon styles are really good.

I haven't been since they changed their menu to small plates (WTF), but back when they served BBQ it was a good place to set up shop with a child outdoors and their beer was above average.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #7060 on: June 28, 2016, 12:25:10 pm »
They're really hot or miss but the patio is dog friendly. That's very helpful.

Yada

« Reply #7061 on: June 28, 2016, 12:34:29 pm »
They're really hot or miss but the patio is dog friendly. That's very helpful.

Their IPAs are god awful... but i've found like Medeski said above their other offerings pretty decent.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #7062 on: June 28, 2016, 02:23:48 pm »
Denizens is a GREAT outdoors spot that is super kid and dog-friendly. Can't say that a lot about other beer gardens in this area without the word "overcrowded". I've always been a fan of Southside - it's nothing amazing but it does the job during a warm, sunny day. Agreed that they excel in the funkier beverages - thought Whodunnit was rather tasty. I do miss the BBQ Bus, though. They have a patio menu but I was rather annoyed that they sell cold, pre-made sandwiches. Apparently you can also order from the kitchen inside, too. Wish I knew that before ordering a mediocre chicken curry sub from the outdoor bar!

walk,on,by

« Reply #7063 on: June 28, 2016, 02:58:16 pm »
there were people brewing beer, in the Nissan parking lot, for the dmb show.

Yada

« Reply #7064 on: June 29, 2016, 03:48:15 pm »
Did sidenozzle stop drinking or something?

Trillium cans starting today! Not sure how this will impact things as Trillium is one of the best more easily accessible beers to acquire.