Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243898 times)

Yada

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #10935 on: February 10, 2022, 03:57:59 pm »
big furry hugs to you, yadders.  like i said, dunno which is worse...

thanks man... undoubtedly been some of the hardest times of my life.

Yada

« Reply #10936 on: February 11, 2022, 01:28:55 pm »

« Reply #10937 on: February 11, 2022, 01:55:32 pm »
mmm, tell me how the Ewing, Czech Dark Lager tastes
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #10938 on: February 13, 2022, 03:39:09 pm »
mmm, tell me how the Ewing, Czech Dark Lager tastes

It was decent, not as good as the Wheatland Spring and Elder Pine version of that beer style.

What was really good was the flagship Italian Pilsner, Lilly. May have even beer better than the Italian pilsner I had a Wheatland (which is clocking in at 4.35 on untappd.)

Those were the only two I had. It was too early to check out the food truck.

Place was nice enough, didn't blow me away and I wouldn't drive an hour rt to go only there, but if i were in the general area it would be a must stop on a nice day. Lacking a certain ambiance that Wheatland has, but a pleasant stop. Annoying that they didn't have draft or can prices listed anywhere....but the prices were fair enough, cheaper than Wheatland (the Italian pils was $17/four pack, it's $21 at Wheatland.

I also stopped at Juicy. I only had a half pour of the DIPA. Didn't blow me away like Aslin did when they were in that spot, but in fairness i had only half of one beer. Not nearly as good as the Other Half, Equilibrium, and Burial I have in the fridge. The servers were all wearing newboy caps. I'd like to try more of their beers, but only if i were over in that direction for other reasons.

Yesterday after Rachel Carson and Elder Pine, we stopped at Saints Row in Rockville. Sorry, nice folks and you want to root for the little guys, but have to give them the thumbs down beerwise.

« Reply #10939 on: February 14, 2022, 11:12:17 pm »
Modern times is closing half it’s locations
https://newschoolbeer.com/home/2022/2/modern-times-beer-closing
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #10940 on: February 14, 2022, 11:33:04 pm »
Just imagine the outcome of both their longevity and the quality of their product had they just named themselves “The Julian Era”.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #10941 on: February 15, 2022, 08:36:46 am »

That's too bad. I love their combination of beer and vegan eats. I've been to the Portland location (closing), and the Encinitas location (staying open.) We also tried to go to the Santa Barbara location (closing)...but it was closed because they couldn't get enough workers to come in that day.

Yada

« Reply #10942 on: February 15, 2022, 09:27:57 am »
Moral of the story is the beer bubble is bursting and don't expand just to expand. Focus on your local market.

I expect as the gubment $$$ that was boosted into the economy runs out, we'll see more to come in 2022/2023.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 09:39:45 am by Yada »

brennser

« Reply #10943 on: February 15, 2022, 02:06:12 pm »
Isn't downtown crown like 1 hour drive from you?

35 mins, same as the DC OH brewery.

OH doesn't ship their (superior to DC) NY beers to VA.

This is one of the best $pace takes as of late, that the beer coming from NYC is better than any of other half's othe offerings.

Are you agreeing, or being facetious? I can never 100% tell with you.  ;) I can't really take the credit for the take. I think Brennser has said it here first. And multiple people  have said it on Beer Advocate, including people from both NYC and DC.

BTW, I made it to Downtown Crown to pick up my beer yesterday. I had this stout my Burial. One of the best pastry stouts I've ever had. Super tasty, but not super sweet. 14% but didn't taste like it (but did feel like it.)

https://untappd.com/b/burial-beer-co-the-abominable-damnation-of-creatures-nevertold/4647958

Also, I tried the first of the three different Other Half anniversary beers I picked up. Best OH DIPA I've had in a while. I usually am a citra  and usually don't go for the New Zealand hops so much, but this one rocks harder than Split Enz.

https://untappd.com/b/other-half-brewing-co-boudin-and-cracklin-8th-anniversary-edition/4682685

We do know that brennser's palate is very delicate, however, I don't agree... There's 20 frothy gravy IPAs on draft at all times at the DC location and I'd gaurantee you or breenser couldn't tell the difference if they were coming from BK or DC... kind of similar to that lossless vs. 320kps argument.

yes I could

Yada

« Reply #10944 on: February 15, 2022, 02:15:43 pm »
Isn't downtown crown like 1 hour drive from you?

35 mins, same as the DC OH brewery.

OH doesn't ship their (superior to DC) NY beers to VA.

This is one of the best $pace takes as of late, that the beer coming from NYC is better than any of other half's othe offerings.

Are you agreeing, or being facetious? I can never 100% tell with you.  ;) I can't really take the credit for the take. I think Brennser has said it here first. And multiple people  have said it on Beer Advocate, including people from both NYC and DC.

BTW, I made it to Downtown Crown to pick up my beer yesterday. I had this stout my Burial. One of the best pastry stouts I've ever had. Super tasty, but not super sweet. 14% but didn't taste like it (but did feel like it.)

https://untappd.com/b/burial-beer-co-the-abominable-damnation-of-creatures-nevertold/4647958

Also, I tried the first of the three different Other Half anniversary beers I picked up. Best OH DIPA I've had in a while. I usually am a citra  and usually don't go for the New Zealand hops so much, but this one rocks harder than Split Enz.

https://untappd.com/b/other-half-brewing-co-boudin-and-cracklin-8th-anniversary-edition/4682685

We do know that brennser's palate is very delicate, however, I don't agree... There's 20 frothy gravy IPAs on draft at all times at the DC location and I'd gaurantee you or breenser couldn't tell the difference if they were coming from BK or DC... kind of similar to that lossless vs. 320kps argument.

yes I could

"the nose of this hazyyyy is really giving off a Brooklyn feel"

GAY,GUY

« Reply #10945 on: February 15, 2022, 04:01:43 pm »
I got some nice beers for the Superbowl, then only drank two of them.  I went to a beer store to buy them; it was, easy.

Hopslam   (tastes like a great beer, but I can't believe it wasn't that long ago when this shit was hero worshipped)

Aslin   Volcano Sauce   (looking forward to trying this thing)

Three Floyds   The 50 Million Dollar Man   (Always loved their beers and I really just bought it because the cover was pretty.)

Lagunitas   Unrefined Shugga     (This was garbage, momma)

Bagley

« Reply #10946 on: February 16, 2022, 01:42:23 pm »
So, I was sitting at an empty bar at Rustico in Alexandria on Saturday afternoon and in walks Greg Engert to do a quality control check.  Starstruck!

Yada

« Reply #10947 on: February 16, 2022, 01:57:54 pm »
So, I was sitting at an empty bar at Rustico in Alexandria on Saturday afternoon and in walks Greg Engert to do a quality control check.  Starstruck!

Was he in civil war regalia?

« Reply #10948 on: February 16, 2022, 01:59:48 pm »
was he dressed like a Napoleonic era water boy ;)

I see yada and I were thinking the same thing
slack

Bagley

« Reply #10949 on: February 16, 2022, 02:22:26 pm »
Ha! Nah. Just looked like a regular dude,