Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241411 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2700 on: June 03, 2013, 04:17:24 pm »
You disparaged Burlington after Brennser mentioned his Vermont beer haul, and Yada and I mentioned out upcoming trips there and the beer we're bringing back. So I was just meeting your "trolling" with a "troll" of my own. If you want to call it that.

I've had multiple style of beer from Ayinger, Andescher, Schneider, Weistephaner (all very good), Paulaner, Augustiner (good), Hofbrau, Spaten (decent). There's only six majoy breweries in Munich, and a handful on the outskirts. So I think I've had a good sampling to have a valid opinion.

That is, on Munich breweries. And I've had the best of Bamberg (Schlenkerla). On the rest of Germany, I'm pretty ignorant. But those are the two cities people talk about when they talk about German beer, anyway.

You'll notice I didn't use the word "excellent". I reserve that word from Hill FArmstead, The Alchemist, and Lawson's in Vermont. Not Magic Hat.

More like you're making shit up.

I simply said/meant I would fly to Burlington because (three particular breweries in) Vermont make better beer than any brewery in Germany.

That's not trolling, that's simply stating my opinion.

Having been to BOTH Munich and Vermont last year, I think I'm entitled to have one.

Munich's beer was enjoyable, but I'd never go back simply for the beer. Vermont, I would.

atomicfront makes some incredibly stupid posts, everyone lavishes him with attention, wash, rinse, repeat

Once again it was James Ford that made the incredibly stupid posts.  He might want the attention, I am not sure or he might just be a bitter old man.

::yawn:: This is D+ trolling at best yet somehow your schtick works on these fools.

I am trolling how?  Please tell me again fat skippy?  I mentioned how I was going to Munich and James Ford told me I was stupid for doing so as the beer is better in Vermont.  I guess I shouldn't have shared my Munich trip to the forum.  Sorry if that is trolling. 

No you mentioned Germany as you knew I was going there and I asked you if you knew of any good brewery tours.  You certainly haven't been to every brewery in Germany.  So it isn't a valid opinion.  If you weren't trolling me you would have just mentioned their were great breweries in Vermont.

Yada

« Reply #2701 on: June 03, 2013, 04:37:19 pm »
You disparaged Burlington after Brennser mentioned his Vermont beer haul, and Yada and I mentioned out upcoming trips there and the beer we're bringing back. So I was just meeting your "trolling" with a "troll" of my own. If you want to call it that.

I've had multiple style of beer from Ayinger, Andescher, Schneider, Weistephaner (all very good), Paulaner, Augustiner (good), Hofbrau, Spaten (decent). There's only six majoy breweries in Munich, and a handful on the outskirts. So I think I've had a good sampling to have a valid opinion.

That is, on Munich breweries. And I've had the best of Bamberg (Schlenkerla). On the rest of Germany, I'm pretty ignorant. But those are the two cities people talk about when they talk about German beer, anyway.

You'll notice I didn't use the word "excellent". I reserve that word from Hill FArmstead, The Alchemist, and Lawson's in Vermont. Not Magic Hat.

More like you're making shit up.

I simply said/meant I would fly to Burlington because (three particular breweries in) Vermont make better beer than any brewery in Germany.

That's not trolling, that's simply stating my opinion.

Having been to BOTH Munich and Vermont last year, I think I'm entitled to have one.

Munich's beer was enjoyable, but I'd never go back simply for the beer. Vermont, I would.

atomicfront makes some incredibly stupid posts, everyone lavishes him with attention, wash, rinse, repeat

Once again it was James Ford that made the incredibly stupid posts.  He might want the attention, I am not sure or he might just be a bitter old man.

::yawn:: This is D+ trolling at best yet somehow your schtick works on these fools.

I am trolling how?  Please tell me again fat skippy?  I mentioned how I was going to Munich and James Ford told me I was stupid for doing so as the beer is better in Vermont.  I guess I shouldn't have shared my Munich trip to the forum.  Sorry if that is trolling. 

No you mentioned Germany as you knew I was going there and I asked you if you knew of any good brewery tours.  You certainly haven't been to every brewery in Germany.  So it isn't a valid opinion.  If you weren't trolling me you would have just mentioned their were great breweries in Vermont.

atomicfront prob. loves #9 and Long Trail IPA.

atomicfront

« Reply #2702 on: June 03, 2013, 04:58:59 pm »
Actually all I said is "Why would anyone want to fly to Burlington, VT?"  Certainly not disparaging anyone.   It was a legitimate question.  Instead of answering a question you decided to troll.  Like I knew you were a bunch of lunatics who travel to Vermont to pick up a couple of cases of beer.  Next thing you know I will be traveling to Belgium and you will troll that Iowa has better beer.  Or I will be going to France and you will mention the Coq au vin is much superior in Utah and I awfully stupid for visiting France. 

And the sad thing is you probably visited Germany for the beer.  Which I am clearly not doing.

Oh and Magic Hat #9 is a good beer.  Sorry it is too popular for you to like.  You guys clearly only like beer that is popular enough for people to drive 500 miles to wait in line for but not popular enough for people to be able to buy it at their local beer store. 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2703 on: June 03, 2013, 05:05:23 pm »
a'front, cover you eyes...

ford: regarding your upcoming trip to VT:

We should be hitting the area on a Thursday morning, so a noon stop at HF when the open, then stop at Alchemist, then Prohibition Pig for a late lunch, then Ben and Jerry's, then Warren Store for Lawsons (they get deliveries on Thurs, wonder how soon after I need to be there?), then drive to Burlington, have dinner and stay at hotel. Then Friday to Winooski Beverage for Lawson's (they get their delivery Friday) if we didn't get any or didn't have a chance to go to Warren Store.

you probably already knew this, but i've just discovered that The Alchemist is now canning on mondays, tuesdays and wednesday.  as of last year it was mondays and thursdays but their facebook page says its now m/t/w.  i suspect you can't change your travel plans, just fyi.
<sig>

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #2704 on: June 03, 2013, 05:23:47 pm »
I don't drink beer anymore, but when i did I tried #9 and thought it was horrible horrible stuff.  I liked a lot of IPA's and really liked everything from that one brewery Ommegang...especailly the saison they had.  I liked Belles...the one with the fish on it I think?  I didn't nerd out on beer to hard.  That is my contribution to this thread. 

Yada

« Reply #2705 on: June 03, 2013, 05:30:16 pm »
I don't drink beer anymore, but when i did I tried #9 and thought it was horrible horrible stuff.  I liked a lot of IPA's and really liked everything from that one brewery Ommegang...especailly the saison they had.  I liked Belles...the one with the fish on it I think?  I didn't nerd out on beer to hard.  That is my contribution to this thread. 

Magic Hat is for people that just discovered there are beers other than Miller, Coors, and Bud. I bet atomicfront loves Blue Moon too.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2706 on: June 03, 2013, 05:31:36 pm »
to me myself and i (what a good song) i dont mind who atomicfront is.  whether he is past, or present toward future tense, he is actually all right with me.  his comments and contributions . . . yes do so border trolling to a point that i am so tired of that word--trolling.  like douche, it should be done.  he posts, damn you.  he posts more than most on here, and his post are intelligent and processed.  i give him that.  but yes, i do believe that no matter who he is, atomicfront makes impact here.  i think he enjoys to make us mad, because some people do, like ratbastard.  deep down in those fingers you type with, you all know making impact is the point.

oh yeah . . . my beer contribution for the sake of the thread.  drinking deviant dales from oskar blues in a can.  what up with the can beer.  so trendy.  it is good, and it has widespread panic lyrics on the top.  uhmm,   

oh   hell   yeah.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 05:33:39 pm by walkonby »

atomicfront

« Reply #2707 on: June 03, 2013, 05:45:42 pm »

Magic Hat is for people that just discovered there are beers other than Miller, Coors, and Bud. I bet atomicfront loves Blue Moon too.

I already  mentioned it is not a bad beer and drink it at the ball game from time to time as it is the only non-light beer they bring around if I am too lazy to get up.  I have been drinking quality beer since I was a young lad.  But whatever keep with the stupid posts.  All beer is good.  Even Miller Light gets you a buzz.  I would say there are microbrews that I like less than Miller Light.  Aprihop is awful.  Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter is pretty much undrinkable.  Being a pretentious asshole about things does not make you more worthy.  I have drunk a ton of beers and have always enjoyed trying new beers even before it became trendy.  Making something some sort of a competition who can drink the rarest beer makes it seem like you don't even like beer.   

I think you guys seem pretty sophmoric in terms of beers you like.  Just enjoy beer and food and stop acting like girls who can only drink zima. 

atomicfront

« Reply #2708 on: June 03, 2013, 05:49:27 pm »
to me myself and i (what a good song) i dont mind who atomicfront is.  whether he is past, or present toward future tense, he is actually all right with me.  his comments and contributions . . . yes do so border trolling to a point that i am so tired of that word--trolling.  like douche, it should be done.  he posts, damn you.  he posts more than most on here, and his post are intelligent and processed.  i give him that.  but yes, i do believe that no matter who he is, atomicfront makes impact here.  i think he enjoys to make us mad, because some people do, like ratbastard.  deep down in those fingers you type with, you all know making impact is the point.

oh yeah . . . my beer contribution for the sake of the thread.  drinking deviant dales from oskar blues in a can.  what up with the can beer.  so trendy.  it is good, and it has widespread panic lyrics on the top.  uhmm,   

oh   hell   yeah.

When I played kickball I drank Oskar Blues Mamas Lil Pils at kickball games all the time as you couldn't drink out of bottles.  Maybe cans are more popular because kickball is more popular.  That Hawian Brewery has all its brews in cans as well.  And Resurection comes in cans but it is probably not the best choice for kickball other than the fact that no one will ever drink your beers.   

atomicfront

« Reply #2709 on: June 03, 2013, 05:57:01 pm »
I thought I would be drinking Magic Hat coming up at the Newport Folk Festival but it appears they have changed their beer vendor to Newport Storm.   Hopefully they will have their blueberry beer. 

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2710 on: June 03, 2013, 05:57:42 pm »
people still play kickball?  interesting.  when i was in middle school, which was a serious serious rural middle school out there in the twilight zone of boony solitude . . . we played what was called crab kickball.  we layed our back on the square boards on wheels, then walked like crabs around the gym kicking a ball, sort of like kickball mixed with soccer.  i love memories, more than beer.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2711 on: June 03, 2013, 06:07:56 pm »
I am sure they don't sell in a year what a typical munich brewery sells in a day. 

you are correct, and that's why the VT beer will be better: smaller batches.

Canned beer?  Really?  You buy canned beer? Obviously it will taste like crap. 

cans are an excellent packaging for beer.  they are superior to bottles in several ways: more airtight (caps leak), 100% protection from light (glass let light through, even brown bottles), etc. 

I am sorry but anyone would tell you are an idiot if you think more people are going to Vermont for good beer than Germany. 

no one said that.  we said that there is better beer in Vermont than in Germany.  as with all things craft it's quality not quantity.

Even the people in Vermont making the beer that you are dumb enough to wait in line to pay them.

that was written good.

As almost any beer that is made with just Hops, Malt, Yeast and water is going to be good.  Pretty hard to mess that up.  Beer is messed up by either adding corn syrup solids and rice and then adding water to it after it has finished brewing like Bud Light or Coors Light.  Or adding a bunch of fruit and sugar to it like Dogfish Head aprihop. 

your blind adherence to the reinheitsgebot is entertaining, tho.  the belgians make incredible beers using sugars, spices, etc.  rye is a great addition to beer, but banned under that anachronistic law of 1516.  the writers of that law didn't even know about yeast, ferfuxake. 

you are right in pointing out that the big breweries make their boring yellow fizzy stuff using adjuncts.  but it's the process that makes it bad, not the ingredients.  you can make very good beer using corn or rice, if you know what you're doing.  just so happens that the main uses for them are crap beers.  doesn't mean the ingredients are inherently flawed.

it's in fact quite easy to eff up a malt/water/hops/yeast beer.

Is atomicfront the world's biggest troll, douche, or ignorant?

yes.
<sig>

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2712 on: June 03, 2013, 06:10:03 pm »
sweetcell . . . who do you hate more, me or atomic.  be honest.  ive pissed you off so many times in the past.  and sometimes, i feel you are in control of too much egocentric knowledge.  but arent we all.

James Ford

« Reply #2713 on: June 03, 2013, 06:30:33 pm »
Of course you didn't know. You're far more interested in sharing your vast knowledge of beer than you are of reading the ravings of the fringe beer drinkers of the world.

Like I knew you were a bunch of lunatics who travel to Vermont to pick up a couple of cases of beer.  

James Ford

« Reply #2714 on: June 03, 2013, 06:31:40 pm »
Thanks. I knew about the Mon+wed, but not Tues. We should be ok early afternoon on a Thurs, I would think.

a'front, cover you eyes...

ford: regarding your upcoming trip to VT:

We should be hitting the area on a Thursday morning, so a noon stop at HF when the open, then stop at Alchemist, then Prohibition Pig for a late lunch, then Ben and Jerry's, then Warren Store for Lawsons (they get deliveries on Thurs, wonder how soon after I need to be there?), then drive to Burlington, have dinner and stay at hotel. Then Friday to Winooski Beverage for Lawson's (they get their delivery Friday) if we didn't get any or didn't have a chance to go to Warren Store.

you probably already knew this, but i've just discovered that The Alchemist is now canning on mondays, tuesdays and wednesday.  as of last year it was mondays and thursdays but their facebook page says its now m/t/w.  i suspect you can't change your travel plans, just fyi.