Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241439 times)

stevewizzle

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2715 on: June 03, 2013, 06:48:58 pm »
Sorry to put this thread back on the tracks, but I'm very much looking forward to trading OTWOA for Heady Topper with my buddy in upstate NY in a few weeks. My only regret is that I wish I bought more OTWOA. Stupid daycare.

how's distribution of canning going for them? what is it again, $18?

i really need to make it down there next time, i fucking love that stuff.

stevewizzle

« Reply #2716 on: June 03, 2013, 07:01:48 pm »
so on the topic of beers and travel - i just got back from 16 days in China & hong kong, where i made it a point to check out some of their beer scene.  lots of expats and such opening up small breweries  and pubs there. 

in beijing: i checked out the original great leap brewery and had a very good, piney and fresh dipa called hop god 120. the whole place was pretty cool, tucked away in a hutong, and had a really cool atmosphere.

shanghai: boxing cat brewery had a good imperial stout, decent food, and overall a nice brew pub.  also went to a paulaner brauhaus, which was a hilarious tourist trap and i got to enjoy a paulaner dunkel (i think?) while watching a hilarious coverband shred through stairway to heaven and butcher gotye.

hong kong: two cool beer spots in this city - one is literally a kiosk on the pier who sells draft and bottle beers for super cheap, and then a place called the globe, which had a really nice import selection.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #2717 on: June 03, 2013, 07:24:45 pm »

It's during their growler hours on Saturday. And yes, $18 for a sixer. Only available at the brewery right now. It's pretty cool that they are getting some national acclaim for it. Also, Taster's Choice was excellent. Still have an oaked Penn Quarter Porter that I need to crack open soon.

James Ford

« Reply #2718 on: June 03, 2013, 07:44:50 pm »
Go on vacation in Germany and Belgium with a four year old, and fuck yeah it's going to be about the beer. It aint gonna be about museums or long hikes in the Alps, because that shit doesn't happen with a four year old in tow. (And it aint gonna be about the food when you're vegetarian.)

And the sad thing is you probably visited Germany for the beer.  Which I am clearly not doing.

stevewizzle

« Reply #2719 on: June 03, 2013, 08:48:56 pm »

It's during their growler hours on Saturday. And yes, $18 for a sixer. Only available at the brewery right now. It's pretty cool that they are getting some national acclaim for it. Also, Taster's Choice was excellent. Still have an oaked Penn Quarter Porter that I need to crack open soon.

wait - every Saturday, or only select weekends?

James Ford

« Reply #2720 on: June 03, 2013, 09:03:40 pm »
I think it's every Saturday while supplies last from most recent batch last.

I must admit I was disappointed with the PieTasters Choice Dopplebock. Once you've had the Ayinger and Andescher dopplebocks (Heil Germany!), maybe anything else is lacking in comparison.

Anybody know where I can get the Penn Quarter Porter or El Hefe in cans, other than the brewery? Are they going to have those out on a regular basis?

Yada

« Reply #2721 on: June 04, 2013, 09:13:58 am »

It's only canned every few months, I'm guessing there isn't any left from the last canning weekend (May 11th).

fatskippy

« Reply #2722 on: June 04, 2013, 10:35:11 am »

It's only canned every few months, I'm guessing there isn't any left from the last canning weekend (May 11th).

They still had OTWOA cans last Saturday, I was surprised. I'm going to wait for the next fresh batch to buy some, should probably be another month or so.

Yada

« Reply #2723 on: June 04, 2013, 10:53:04 am »

They still had OTWOA cans last Saturday, I was surprised. I'm going to wait for the next fresh batch to buy some, should probably be another month or so.

Wow, that's surprising. I guess the demand died down pretty quickly. I actually just had my last can over the weekend from the May 11th canning and it was still delicious.

James Ford

« Reply #2724 on: June 04, 2013, 11:00:10 am »
DC people getting sick of the bitter hops and moving back to lagers, obviously.

Wow, that's surprising. I guess the demand died down pretty quickly. I actually just had my last can over the weekend from the May 11th canning and it was still delicious.

imbecile

« Reply #2725 on: June 04, 2013, 11:11:32 am »
DC people getting sick of the bitter hops and moving back to lagers, obviously.

Ha, more for me!

On an unrelated, but related note.  I dry hopped a Black IPA that I created this weekend, brewed soley with Falconers Flight hops, as I liked the OTWOA hop profile so much when I first had it.

Three more weeks and we'll see if I'm on to anything, ha.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2726 on: June 04, 2013, 12:04:09 pm »
On an unrelated, but related note.  I dry hopped a Black IPA that I created this weekend, brewed soley with Falconers Flight hops, as I liked the OTWOA hop profile so much when I first had it.

nice, let us know how it turns out.  popular opinion on FF is overwhelmingly positive, probably the most popular mixed hop pellet out there.

i used to be ambivalent about hop blends but have warmed up to the idea.  i have a pound of zythos, another hop blend, that i haven't properly checked out yet.  i've used it once for bittering only so i don't know what the falvor/aroma profile is like.  i really should brew something with just that hop but *SQUIRREL*

edit: meant to ask - that three weeks wait you mentioned includes bottling/carbonation time, right?  hopefully you're not dry-hopping for 3 weeks!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 12:20:30 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

imbecile

« Reply #2727 on: June 04, 2013, 12:36:57 pm »

nice, let us know how it turns out.  popular opinion on FF is overwhelmingly positive, probably the most popular mixed hop pellet out there.

i used to be ambivalent about hop blends but have warmed up to the idea.  i have a pound of zythos, another hop blend, that i haven't properly checked out yet.  i've used it once for bittering only so i don't know what the falvor/aroma profile is like.  i really should brew something with just that hop but *SQUIRREL*

edit: meant to ask - that three weeks wait you mentioned includes bottling/carbonation time, right?  hopefully you're not dry-hopping for 3 weeks!

Yes, you got it.  Dry hop for a week, am bottling this weekend and then carbing for two.  Someday I'll get to kegging, which sounds glorious compared to bottling, ugh.

I was on the fence about blends as well until I tried OTWOA; just didnt' know much about them and they're all proprietary, so hard to find ratios of what's in there to figure out how it'll react with other stuff.  Meh, it just intimidated me, ha.  A few times a year I'll brew using a single hop to try and get a good feel for them, usually making a simple amber/IPA/pale ale (realized I really like chinook hops in like a session strength ipa that way), but these blends are a whole new animal for me. 

A lawnmower black IPA probably wasn't the best vehicle for this foray to really assess the hops, but I was clearing out a bunch of leftover ingredients and that's what I ended up with.

Let me know how the Zythos turns out if/when you give it a full evaluation.

stevewizzle

« Reply #2728 on: June 04, 2013, 12:41:01 pm »
i've used falconers flight a couple times (notably in an imperial red), and yeah, great hop.

surely you won't be disappointed, and if you are, feel free to send your unwanted beers my way.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2729 on: June 04, 2013, 12:55:33 pm »
Someday I'll get to kegging, which sounds glorious compared to bottling, ugh.

kegging would be nice but it's so damn expensive to get into.  i'm pretty zen about bottling... i almost enjoy the process.  it's also something that i do with the missus, so it's a brewing related activity that we can do together.  well, she helps if i don't start at midnight like i did last night.  not a recommended school-night activity.  that gawddam belgian imperial stout better turn out good. 

uh, i think i just lost my zen.
<sig>