Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241429 times)

imbecile

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2775 on: June 07, 2013, 08:36:54 am »
Thinking of canned beer I am reminded of my youthful trip to England where I enjoyed Carlsberg Special Brew.  They came in these big cans and are 9 percent alcohol.  I usually drank 3 a night.  The first was god-awful.  The second tasted pretty good and by your third you had lost all sense of taste or memory.   

that was probably just the brain deformities setting in from the aluminum can.

stevewizzle

« Reply #2776 on: June 07, 2013, 09:46:21 am »
i had my first carlsberg special brew last week in hong kong at club 7-11.

that beer has the rare ability to give you an immediate hangover, rather than waiting for it to settle in the next day.

special indeed.

atomicfront

« Reply #2777 on: June 07, 2013, 09:51:54 am »
Evidently the Special comes from that they brewed it especially for Winston Churchill's visit to Denmark in 1950.  The quick hangover you get is just an added bonus. 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2778 on: June 07, 2013, 12:33:30 pm »
i believe something similar to this was posted somewhere on the board previously, but the information here seems pretty fresh:

The Nationals Park Beer Guide
http://thenationalsreview.com/the-nationals-park-beer-guide/
(coding is sloppy and it crashed one of my browsers, but the maps are very detailed)
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #2779 on: June 07, 2013, 01:15:15 pm »
Timely, as we're going Sunday. And it if keeps on raining, we could be at a tripleheader!

I'm a little disappointed Hennepin is no longer an option at the ballpark.

I went in April and had a Dogfish Indian Brown. $10 plus tip. For a beer that sells four $8 a six pack at Total Wine. At least my ticket was free.

slappy

« Reply #2780 on: June 07, 2013, 11:47:02 pm »
I went in April and had a Dogfish Indian Brown. $10 plus tip. For a beer that sells four $8 a six pack at Total Wine.

Lemme get this straight ... you're saying beer is more expensive at an event than buying at the store?

James Ford

« Reply #2781 on: June 08, 2013, 09:23:42 am »
One of them is more expensive than six.

Show me a pub with that kind of markup.

I went in April and had a Dogfish Indian Brown. $10 plus tip. For a beer that sells four $8 a six pack at Total Wine.

Lemme get this straight ... you're saying beer is more expensive at an event than buying at the store?

stevewizzle

« Reply #2782 on: June 08, 2013, 11:16:17 am »
don't get this guy started on popcorn and candy prices at the movie theatre.

shemptiness

« Reply #2783 on: June 08, 2013, 03:40:39 pm »
I was very happy to see Duckpin available at Merriweather.  And I didn't care that it was $11 for a 24 oz cup.  The same stand carries DC Brau as well.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2784 on: June 08, 2013, 05:06:21 pm »

where i live, there used to be the cheap theatre . . . tickets were less than five buck each, and two people could go see a film, with no trailers, and two large sodas with a large popcorn that lets you refill it one time, for less than twenty dollars.  then they closed after of thirty years in business.  everyone was crushed.

we have the alamo draft house theatre thing in our area.  it destroys everything else, but i hate it.  i miss the good ole days of six theatre, three on each side with a huge, square concession stand in the middle; plus about five or six video games and one of the silly stuffed animal grab machines.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 05:08:30 pm by walkonby »

James Ford

« Reply #2785 on: June 08, 2013, 05:44:37 pm »
Would it shock you if I said I haven't been to a movie theater in nearly six years, and I've never bought anything from the movie concessions stand in my life? Just bring your own.

shemptiness

« Reply #2786 on: June 08, 2013, 06:06:40 pm »
It would shock me if someone was shocked by that.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2787 on: June 09, 2013, 06:17:04 pm »
i, myself . . . was pretty shocked.

atomicfront

« Reply #2788 on: June 09, 2013, 07:07:05 pm »
Would it shock you if I said I haven't been to a movie theater in nearly six years, and I've never bought anything from the movie concessions stand in my life? Just bring your own.

You are one cheap bastard.

Anyway, I drank quite a bit of beer yesterday. 

Started off at Heavy Seas for the brewery tour.  Before you go in you pay 5 bucks and they give you a pint glass and 5 tokens for samples.  I took one of my wives samples so I had six. The owner of the place led the tour and was entertaining but their were too many people on the tour.  It looks like they are expanding for what its worth.  I have too say I am not a fan of their beers.  They taste pretty much the same. 

Here is what I sampled:

Heavy Seas - Small Craft Warning (Uber Pils)
   Loose Cannon (IPA) - Firkin
   Powder Monkey (English Pale Ale)
   Peg Leg (Imperial Stout)
        Gold Ale
   Cutlass (Amber Lager)

I would say the Loose Cannon IPA was the best of the lot.  Followed by the Peg Leg.  The others were too hoppy for their styles and tasted too similar to each other.

After the disappointing brews I headed too Ellicott City Brewing company for some better selections.

Had the Marzen, Dunkel, and Heifweizen.  I would say all 3 were superior to the Heavy Seas Beers.   The Dunkel was my least favorite. 

After that I walked around Ellicott City and then stopped in a bar and had  a Paulaner hefeweizen.  It was pretty tasty.  Those germans sure know beer.

So we were heading to a cook out and I went to Wine Bin in Ellicot city and they sell growlers that you can fill with one of their five beers on tap.  I chose Southern Tier Pale Wheat Ale.  It turned out to taste similar to some of the Heavy Seas beers.  Not the best.

I also got a six pack of Affligem Blonde which I also drank 3 of at the cook-out party.  This is tasty and if you like Belgium Blondes I would recommend this. 

A game of Beer Pong broke out and I drank some warm Miller High Life.  I can't explain how bad an experience this was.  I luckily switched team and the new partner had filled the cups with Lenkugel's Summer Shandy.  Basically lemonade Beer.  At this point I was just happy I wasn't drinking warm Miller. 

atomicfront

« Reply #2789 on: June 09, 2013, 07:11:15 pm »
One of them is more expensive than six.

Show me a pub with that kind of markup.

Have you been to the 930 club?